Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Old 2011-01-29, 05:22   #1
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10110010111012 Posts
Question Does the photon ever reach the spaceship?

One of my minions came to me with this.

A spaceship is accelerating in a straight line at a constant 1g (local time frame within the ship) in a vacuum in flat space.

At t=0 the position of the spaceship is x=0 and the velocity of the spaceship is v=0. The ship immediately starts accelerating at 1g at t=0.

Some time tp>0 later a photon is sent directly towards the spaceship from point x=0.

Assuming GR and SR are true then ...

1) The photon reaches the spacecraft:
(a) Never. Photons a wussies and can't catch me.
(b) Depends upon the value of tp. Did someone say "dilation"?
(c) Always. Photons are crazy fast dude.

2) Show your working to prove either (a), (b) or (c) is true.

[size=1]Yes, the answer is available with a search engine. Yes, you are cheating if you use a search engine.[/size]
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 13:09   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10AB16 Posts

1) (c)
2) I have no actual work or proof to show, I just guessed based on the fact that you can never go faster than c, so you shouldn't be able to outrun a photon. I'd like to see the real answer though. :) I googled to no avail.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2011-01-29 at 13:09
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 15:27   #3
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
2) I have no actual work or proof to show, I just guessed based on the fact that you can never go faster than c, so you shouldn't be able to outrun a photon. I'd like to see the real answer though. :) I googled to no avail.
Your reasoning is wrong.. Suppose the spaceship kept a distance 1/t ahead of the trailing photon emitted at the origin at t=0. Because 1/t is always positive, the photon never catches up. Moreover, the spaceship's position at time t is given by ct + t[sup]-1[/sup]. differentiate wrt t to get the speed: c - t[sup]-2[/sup] which is less than c at all times.

This doesn't suffice to demonstrate that a spaceship could do this while maintaining constant (local) acceleration, but I'm pretty certain it could.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 15:51   #4
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31·67 Posts

My reasoning:
The spaceship can never accelerate to c. The photon always approaches the spacecraft at c. Therefore (c). If the ship was, say, 1 light year away when the photon was released then it would take 1 year to catch up, from the point of view of the pilot. Despite the ship's acceleration.
Of course, I'm bound to be wrong!
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 16:19   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

72×11×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
One of my minions came to me with this.

A spaceship is accelerating in a straight line at a constant 1g (local time frame within the ship) in a vacuum in flat space.

At t=0 the position of the spaceship is x=0 and the velocity of the spaceship is v=0. The ship immediately starts accelerating at 1g at t=0.

Some time tp>0 later a photon is sent directly towards the spaceship from point x=0.

Assuming GR and SR are true then ...

1) The photon reaches the spacecraft:
(a) Never. Photons a wussies and can't catch me.
(b) Depends upon the value of tp. Did someone say "dilation"?
(c) Always. Photons are crazy fast dude.

2) Show your working to prove either (a), (b) or (c) is true.

[SIZE=1]Yes, the answer is available with a search engine. Yes, you are cheating if you use a search engine.[/SIZE]
This is an old favourite and I've already set Retina a PM to that effect.

I won't reveal an answer but will hint that, as in so many cases in relativity, drawing a spacetime diagram will probably be very helpful.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 16:29   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

572510 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
... I've already set Retina a PM to that effect.
I don't have PMs enabled. Methinks your PM has probably gone into never never land.
Old 2011-01-29, 16:42   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

72·11·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I don't have PMs enabled. Methinks your PM has probably gone into never never land.
Strange. I'll send email.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 16:50   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

52·229 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Strange. I'll send email.
I am interested to see what happens. I also disabled emails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Incomunicado.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	6147  
Old 2011-01-30, 15:11   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

52·229 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
The spaceship can never accelerate to c. The photon always approaches the spacecraft at c. Therefore (c). If the ship was, say, 1 light year away when the photon was released then it would take 1 year to catch up, from the point of view of the pilot. Despite the ship's acceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
Your reasoning is wrong.. Suppose the spaceship kept a distance 1/t ahead of the trailing photon emitted at the origin at t=0. Because 1/t is always positive, the photon never catches up. Moreover, the spaceship's position at time t is given by ct + t[sup]-1[/sup]. differentiate wrt t to get the speed: c - t[sup]-2[/sup] which is less than c at all times.

This doesn't suffice to demonstrate that a spaceship could do this while maintaining constant (local) acceleration, but I'm pretty certain it could.
Two competing ideas. Which is correct? Maybe both are correct? Maybe neither is correct?
Old 2011-01-30, 15:45   #10
cmd

"(^r'Β°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

33·37 Posts

Zenone

c the speed you can not put the "arrow" ( Light arrow )

btw, ... lane change without signaling it is rude uncivilized ...
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 16:30   #11
alpertron

Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

2×661 Posts

Since the Universe is expanding, after some time t[sub]z[/sub] the photon cannot reach the spaceship. The value of this t[sub]z[/sub] is an exercise for the reader.

Last fiddled with by alpertron on 2011-01-30 at 16:32
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote