Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2007-06-15, 04:54   #1
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

3×163 Posts
Default Murphy's law in full effect against me

I get excited on vacations. Why?

1. It's a vacation
2. I get to leave my dual core 3.2GHz w/ 2GB ram running full speed with nothing to slow it down.

HOWEVER .... NOT ONCE have I ever gone away to find my computer has run without stopping. This time, the last time it checked in with primenet was the day I left, on the 7th of June. This means it's done NOTHING since I left, 8 days ago.

EDIT: Oh, and my slightly throttled single core PC, which usually finishes a result every 43 days? Also hasn't reported.

JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 11:31   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanpapi82 View Post
I get excited on vacations. Why?

1. It's a vacation
2. I get to leave my dual core 3.2GHz w/ 2GB ram running full speed with nothing to slow it down.

HOWEVER .... NOT ONCE have I ever gone away to find my computer has run without stopping. This time, the last time it checked in with primenet was the day I left, on the 7th of June. This means it's done NOTHING since I left, 8 days ago.

EDIT: Oh, and my slightly throttled single core PC, which usually finishes a result every 43 days? Also hasn't reported.

Perhaps you should install a program to let you remotely control them, so that you can see what the problem is from where you are. Also, I'd suggest making their BIOSs be set to power the computer back on after a power outage (if it's not already).
p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if a remote-control program would waste resources, so shut it off (or uninstall) when you come back from vacation. The wasted resources is better than your computers stopping completely, with you unable to troubleshoot it.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 12:14   #3
Cruelty

May 2005

161810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if a remote-control program would waste resources, so shut it off (or uninstall) when you come back from vacation. The wasted resources is better than your computers stopping completely, with you unable to troubleshoot it.
IMO: such software will only use system resources (CPU) if the connection is established...
Cruelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-15, 16:42   #4
victor

Oct 2005
Fribourg, Switzerlan

22×32×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanpapi82 View Post
Let's take a guess : both computers run windows?
victor is offline   Reply With Quote