mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2013-10-05, 20:41   #100
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22·691 Posts

Cheers. Quite appropriate that this is posted in the torture thread as solitary confinement for extended periods is nothing but torture.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2013-10-05 at 20:47
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 19:54   #101
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

110110100002 Posts

A tortured Libyan man's bid to sue the UK government for allegedly colluding in his rendition cannot be settled in a UK court, the High Court rules. The judge said Abdul-Hakim Belhaj had a "well-founded claim" but pursuing it would jeopardise national security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25464362
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 20:04   #102
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

32·5·13·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
A tortured Libyan man's bid to sue the UK government for allegedly colluding in his rendition cannot be settled in a UK court, the High Court rules. The judge said Abdul-Hakim Belhaj had a "well-founded claim" but pursuing it would jeopardise national security.
There's a bug in the code....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 22:08   #103
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×29×67 Posts

http://www.opendemocracy.net/tom-eng...lbum-from-hell

I wasn't able to view the link - saw it along with excerpts on another site - but websearch indicates it's the right one. Is anyone else here (un)able to view the page?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 22:50   #104
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post

I wasn't able to view the link - saw it along with excerpts on another site - but websearch indicates it's the right one. Is anyone else here (un)able to view the page?
Went to a "page not found" almost instantly, but then responded to links to different versions of the site. Unfortunately, it then put up an inarguable "Register" dialog, so I left.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 23:33   #105
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:

Are you talking about this article? I'm not sure what you are asking.
Tomgram: Engelhardt, Washington's Wedding Album From Hell
Posted by Tom Engelhardt at 8:24am, December 20, 2013.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2013-12-22 at 00:05 Reason: Yep, that's the one - opendemocracy.net appears to have fubared their linkage. Thanks,
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 01:18   #106
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
Are you talking about this article? I'm not sure what you are asking.
Tomgram: Engelhardt, Washington's Wedding Album From Hell
Posted by Tom Engelhardt at 8:24am, December 20, 2013.
Thanks for pointing out the source. Tomgrams are often very insightful and informative articles.
Old 2013-12-22, 02:05   #107
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

10001111012 Posts

Quote:

Seems the apostrophe lost its original encoding somewhere along the way - this works:
[link]http://www.opendemocracy.net/tom-engelhardt/washington%E2%80%99s-wedding-album-from-hell[/link]
Still, may as well go to the source on tomdispatch.com.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 22:30   #108
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×29×67 Posts

How Obama Officials Cried ‘Terrorism’ to Cover Up a Paperwork Error | Wired.com
Quote:
After seven years of litigation, two trips to a federal appeals court and $3.8 million worth of lawyer time, the public has finally learned why a wheelchair-bound Stanford University scholar was cuffed, detained and denied a flight from San Francisco to Hawaii: FBI human error.

FBI agent Kevin Kelley was investigating Muslims in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2004 when he checked the wrong box on a terrorism form, erroneously placing Rahinah Ibrahim on the no-fly list.
Note the initial mistake and early coverup occurred under Bush Jr., but Obama et al really doubled down on it. This is again symptomatic of the imperial presidency and post-9/11 natsec statism rather than party affiliation - the latter only matters, if at all, in the spin used to justify the state's crimes.
Old 2014-04-01, 21:18   #109
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2D8A16 Posts

CIA misled public on interrogation program, newspaper reports

Re. the final para.: Methinks Miz Feinstein, who is perfectly OK with government mass-warrantless surveillance of the ordinary citizenry, doth protest overmuch.
Old 2014-04-01, 23:32   #110
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

27AE16 Posts

Quote:
CIA misled public on interrogation program, newspaper reports

Re. the final para.: Methinks Miz Feinstein, who is perfectly OK with government mass-warrantless surveillance of the ordinary citizenry, doth protest overmuch.
DiFi has only become more disgusting over her career. She certainly sneered mightily and condescendingly at those who took issue with mass surveillance.