mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Open Projects > y-cruncher

Old 2020-02-06, 21:23   #12
De Wandelaar

"Yves"
Jul 2017
Belgium

52 Posts

The problem of long and short scales :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales … but 5E13 is already in itself a terrific result !

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
5E19? I think it is 5E13.
De Wandelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-07, 09:19   #13
R. Gerbicz

"Robert Gerbicz"
Oct 2005
Hungary

2×3×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
655 words per minute. And since digits are short words, it is doable.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...fastest-talker
"Sean Shannon (Canada) recited Hamlet's soliloquy `To be or not to be' (260 words) in a time of 23.8 seconds"

Doable, pretty short words.
R. Gerbicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-07, 09:42   #14
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·1,423 Posts

Do they have a record for the "longest" speaker? Like the person who talked without a pause for a while?

(we wanted to send the former link to swmbo with the title "someone have beaten you already" but it occured to us that she's actually not a fast speaker, so we refrained ourselves on doing such a terrible mistake... )

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-02-07 at 09:45
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-07, 09:47   #15
Mysticial

Sep 2016

7×47 Posts

Woah, I go away for a while and didn't notice all these new posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Very nice, congrats!

How do you make the base switch "in place"? I have some ideas how to transform from base 2 to base 10 quite fast and also have some checkpoints, but you would need more storage space (it can't really be done "in place"), and I don't believe this is new, for sure somebody else was thinking to it before. I "invented" it long time ago and used it in my programs in the past, but never for such large inputs.
It's not fully in-place in that it doesn't need any auxiliary memory. It needs a lot actually - especially to perform the FFTs.

But there are a few technicalities:

The large multiplications are done in-place. So the output overwrites the inputs. (the multiplication is still done using the FFT scratch buffers)

1) One problem is that I don't support checkpointing inside the large multiplications. Thus I can only checkpoint before or after a large multiplication. But if you encapsulate the multiplication into an indivisible operation, it becomes a destructive operation that destroys the inputs. Thus if something goes wrong inside the multiply, you cannot roll back to before the multiply because you've already destroyed the inputs.

This in-place-ness of the multiplications within the base-conversion will chain up. Thus there's no point where you can do a checkpoint other than before the entire conversion begins.

2) The other problem is that checkpointing is done with file-granularity. I don't support checkpointing parts of a file. The binary->radix conversions involve recursively splitting up the binary input into smaller and smaller portions which you eventually write piecewise into a large output buffer (in the desired radix).

The presents a problem. That output buffer is allocated as single contiguous storage region as a single file. I can't write to parts of the file, checkpoint it, then write to other parts. The reason I can't do that is due sector alignment.

Let's say the following is a partially written sector that's been checkpointed:

0123456789xxxxxx

Then in a later operation, I want to write out the rest of the sector so that it is:

0123456789abcdef

However. When you access disk, the entire sector must be read/written at once. The later operation needs to do a read-modify-write to data that is part of the previous checkpoint. If something goes wrong during this step, it will corrupt the previous checkpoint!

----------------

Long story short, I believe both of issues are surmountable. But I haven't done the necessary research into it yet.

For example, the in-place-ness issue (1) can be overcome by having two working buffers and writing back-and-forth between them. But the base conversion already uses the most storage of the entire computation.

The sector-alignment is probably solvable by keeping a separate mapping that stores backups of all partially written sectors. But saying that this is a mess in the context of the software raid layer and manual error-detection checksums is an understatement.

Last fiddled with by Mysticial on 2020-02-07 at 09:55
Mysticial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-07, 10:14   #16
Mysticial

Sep 2016

7·47 Posts

Quote:
Very nice, congrats!

How do you make the base switch "in place"? I have some ideas how to transform from base 2 to base 10 quite fast and also have some checkpoints, but you would need more storage space (it can't really be done "in place"), and I don't believe this is new, for sure somebody else was thinking to it before. I "invented" it long time ago and used it in my programs in the past, but never for such large inputs.
To answer your actual question of how I do the conversion "in place". The algorithm is the scaled remainder tree. The only operations are multiplications. There are no additions or subtractions at all.

Each multiply is a middle-product FFT that splits a 2N-bit binary input into two N-bit binary outputs which are written back into the same memory - overwriting the 2N-bit input. One of the N-bit outputs is the same as the upper-half of the 2B-bit output. Thus instead of overwriting the entire memory region, the "new" N-bit output overwrites the no-longer-needed portion of the 2N-bit input. This partial write is hard to checkpoint due to problem (2) of the previous post.

Since the in-place multiply is the only operation for the entire radix conversion, these in-place multiplications form a dependency chain/tree that prevents any sort of checkpointing at any step.

Last fiddled with by Mysticial on 2020-02-07 at 10:20
Mysticial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-09, 02:45   #17
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
Do they have a record for the "longest" speaker? Like the person who talked without a pause for a while?
<snip>
The most recent record for "longest speech marathon" I could find at Guinness is just over 90 hours:

Quote:
The longest speech marathon is 90 hr and 2 min, achieved by Ananta Ram KC (Nepal) in Kathmandu, Nepal from 27 to 31 August 2018.

The attempt started at 6:15 am on 27th August and finished at 12:17 am on 31st August 2018. Ananta Ram KC maintained a silence for almost 7 days before starting the attempt as a part of his preparation for the longest speech attempt.
In a story about an earlier record (2014) in this category, I found:
Quote:
Under Guinness World Records guidelines, a speech is defined as, "the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience," meaning using footage, clips or audio is strictly prohibited.

Notes are allowed, written copy, autocues and prompters are not; making Rob's 46 hour 21 minute-long achievement all the more impressive.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-19, 04:32   #18
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

2·277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerel View Post
Reading this I almost want to have a go. Almost... That storage requirement is scary...
You can certainly have a go at the other records. The program used to calculate pi to 50 trillion digits has also been used to calculate square roots, logarithms, and various constants to billions of decimal places. I held the record for ln (2) at one point:

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...&postcount=716
http://www.numberworld.org/digits/Log(2)/
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote