retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

553810 Posts

https://brilliantlightpower.com/suncell/

Quote:
The SunCell® was invented and engineered to harness the clean energy source from the reaction of the hydrogen atoms of water molecules to form a non-polluting product, lower-energy state hydrogen called “Hydrino” that is the dark matter of the universe ...
So not only are they creating a new form of hydrogen that no one else has even seen, they have also discovered the nature of dark matter. Plus they managed to put it all together and make a cheap energy producer. Wow, so much has been achieved, I hope they get a few Nobel Prizes for all those incredible discoveries.

But oddly they talk more about the conversion of the hydrino related EM energy into electricity than about the hydrino generator itself. So I guess that means the conversion process is the most difficult part. If only we had some sort of existing solar cells to convert light into electricity ...
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-01, 20:55   #222
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

126428 Posts
Default How to Design a Perpetual Energy Machine

Quanta Magazine has published a paradox puzzle for this April Fools' day.

How to Design a Perpetual Energy Machine
Old 2020-06-26, 16:20   #223
GalebG2

Jun 2020

7 Posts

Well, if you're bending the limits of what constitutes a "machine" hard enough, there is a perpetual energy machine that sees its motion harnessed to provide seemingly endless energy.

The Earth.

I mean, the cycle of water allows us to use tidal generators and hydroelectrical plants on rivers. We can harness the wind, which is in no short supply.

... but then, it all works due to the energy of the sun, which evaporates water from the sea and allows its cycle to function, and that creates movements in the atmosphere due to temperature changes, so every solar system is a huge nuclear fusion power plant.
GalebG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-26, 17:00   #224
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

2×712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalebG2 View Post
Well, if you're bending the limits of what constitutes a "machine" hard enough, there is a perpetual energy machine that sees its motion harnessed to provide seemingly endless energy.

The Earth.

I mean, the cycle of water allows us to use tidal generators and hydroelectrical plants on rivers. We can harness the wind, which is in no short supply.

... but then, it all works due to the energy of the sun, which evaporates water from the sea and allows its cycle to function, and that creates movements in the atmosphere due to temperature changes, so every solar system is a huge nuclear fusion power plant.
It is not a perpetual motion machine.

The Sun will die out soon enough.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-27, 12:35   #225
GalebG2

Jun 2020

710 Posts

Well, in the same way any perpetual motion machine would end up decaying and falling apart, I guess? But yeah, even if we were to consider the universe as a "perpetual motion machine", after all, there's no guarantee it's infinite and that it will always exist as such, and we simply cannot say whether there's always going to be movement and other energy exchanges or not.
GalebG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-27, 13:03   #226
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·3·13·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalebG2 View Post
Well, in the same way any perpetual motion machine would end up decaying and falling apart, I guess? But yeah, even if we were to consider the universe as a "perpetual motion machine", after all, there's no guarantee it's infinite and that it will always exist as such, and we simply cannot say whether there's always going to be movement and other energy exchanges or not.
I don't know if there is an accepted formal definition of perpetual motion, but IMO is means something that creates/generates more output energy than is input. So that is more than simply staying in stasis with a perfectly friction free, non-decaying, device spinning "forever", and outputting no useful energy. It has to do some useful work and not run down.
Old 2020-06-27, 15:31   #227
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

235428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I don't know if there is an accepted formal definition of perpetual motion, but IMO is means something that creates/generates more output energy than is input. So that is more than simply staying in stasis with a perfectly friction free, non-decaying, device spinning "forever", and outputting no useful energy. It has to do some useful work and not run down.
There are three classes of perpetual motion machine. One does useful work without input of energy; the second converts thermal energy to useful work; the third remains in motion forever without generating useful work. You opinion covers only the first two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpet...Classification for a fuller treatment.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-27, 22:38   #228
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·3·13·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
There are three classes of perpetual motion machine. One does useful work without input of energy; the second converts thermal energy to useful work; the third remains in motion forever without generating useful work. You opinion covers only the first two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpet...Classification for a fuller treatment.
Thanks for the ref.

But I find the last one a completely useless "machine". A machine those has no output isn't much of a machine at all. You couldn't even shine a light on it to see if it is still moving for fear of upsetting it's delicate balance. And the thought occurs that every stable atom would fall under that description.
Old 2020-06-30, 13:28   #229
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

52×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
But I find the last one a completely useless "machine". A machine those has no output isn't much of a machine at all. You couldn't even shine a light on it to see if it is still moving for fear of upsetting it's [sic] delicate balance. And the thought occurs that every stable atom would fall under that description.
The usual definitions of a machine (mechanical device) indicate that it performs, or is supposed to to perform, an intended task.

There is a famous quotation, attributed to Leonardo da Vinci, regarding speculators about perpetual motion. The quote likens them to alchemists.

IMO one of the greatest boasts about any type of machine is Archimedes' boast about the "simple machine" known as the lever (or lever and fulcrum): "Give me a place to stand, and I will move the Earth."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote