mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2022-01-11, 17:43   #1
TimG

Jan 2022

1 Posts
Default Don't understand the benchmark output.

I would like to know the optimal cores and workers windows to use, so I ran the benchmark options.

https://i.imgur.com/SoxvZvq.png

These are the options I am running the benchmark with. The problem is, it's been running for a little while now, and the output looks the same to me (as if it is retesting the same options).

See the attached log file as of this moment for what I mean.
Attached Files
File Type: txt results.bench.txt (29.7 KB, 38 views)
TimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 19:25   #2
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

23·3·43 Posts

What kind of work are you going to do?

With your settings, it will benchmark different parameter settings for each FFT. Each FFT will run a few to some more of them, only after which that the next FFT size will be benchmarked. This can indeed take very long.

Last fiddled with by kruoli on 2022-01-11 at 19:27 Reason: Did not read correctly.
kruoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 23:45   #3
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2,953 Posts

You can probably start with an FFT of 5632 if you're interested in working exponents at the wavefront.

I wouldn't benchmark hyperthreading. Hyperthreads may give one or two percent increase, but will make your system sluggish. Hyperthreads do seem to benefit on cloud instances though.

For your CPU, either 1 or 8 workers is likely to be best. I'd switch 1-8 with 1,8.

Benchmarking all FFT implementations is useful for Prime95 to find the fastest tweaks. If you're just curious, I'd uncheck the box.

In the text file, look at the Throughput iterations/second to see what gives you the most. The important bit is should you run 1 worker with 8 threads, or 8 workers with 1 thread. Most likely 1 worker with 8 threads will be faster. Working on a single exponent at a time also produces results sooner, which is more fun.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote