xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

101010110011112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
If not, why is the US particularly obligated to prevent a genocide in Iraq, but not a genocide in Sudan, or a genocide in Ruwanda or in Congo? Are the (nonblack) residents of (oil-rich) Iraq somehow more valuable and worthy of life than the (black) residents of (not-sitting-on-large-oil-reserves) African countries?
Who are, however, sitting on very large reserves of other minerals of great economic significance...

Factions have been fighting over the mineral wealth of Congo for many decades now.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 18:10   #750
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Who are, however, sitting on very large reserves of other minerals of great economic significance...

Factions have been fighting over the mineral wealth of Congo for many decades now.
... and how does that affect neocons' desire to intervene militarily American obligation to try to prevent genocide there vs. elsewhere?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-11-08 at 18:14
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 20:00   #751
AES

Jul 2007
Tennessee

25·19 Posts

Quote:
That doesn't explain what you meant by "execute the ultimate 'bait and switch' on enemies of western civilization",
IMO, The weakness these radicals perceive, is not there.

I did not say the US was obligated to prevent genocide anywhere. It's just not the best result.
AES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 04:13   #752
AES

Jul 2007
Tennessee

25·19 Posts

Quote:
Are the (nonblack) residents of (oil-rich) Iraq somehow more valuable and worthy of life than the (black) residents of (not-sitting-on-large-oil-reserves) African countries?
I am not racist and I resent this insinuation. I'll not post my terse opinions in the future.
Old 2008-11-09, 14:24   #753
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

MODERATORS, please delete the last paragraph ("For instance, do you think that the US is somehow obligated ... we're obligated in Iraq, but not anywhere else?") of my post #748.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES View Post
I am not racist and I resent this insinuation.
I deeply apologize for failing to notice that the last paragraph of my posting #748 could be interpreted that way.

I didn't think, mean, intend to insinuate, or intend to imply that _you_ were racist.

That idea never occurred to me until when I read your posting just now.

But when (after calming down a bit) I look back at my posting #748, I do see why it could all-too-easily be interpreted that way, or even just flat-out looks that way.

I am appalled to discover that.

Here's what happened, I think: I started writing the last paragraph as being addressed directly to you. While I was reworking/revising it, I slipped into a frame of thinking about governmental policies -- and then started wording phrases that I intended to apply to governmental policies in the abstract, not _your_ own opinions/policies/motives. The result was a mixup that, I see now, could be -- indeed, pretty much _has_ to be -- interpreted as you did. I deeply regret that.

I also note that this kind of mental mixup while composing postings is something I've done in other postings recently, but never before with such terrible results (AFAIK, anyway). I'll have to consider how to take steps to avoid making that mistake.

Again, I apologize for posting words that I did not review well enough to realize would be interpreted in such a way that was so awfully different from what I intended to convey.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-11-09 at 15:08
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 16:01   #754
AES

Jul 2007
Tennessee

60810 Posts

It's no problem. We're both passionate about politics.