Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2021-10-17, 22:38   #1
diep

Sep 2006
The Netherlands

30D16 Posts
Default software advice needed - sieving short periods of time

Hello,

Now i'm in robotics, so having hardware that reads temperatures is pretty easy for me to produce and connect to a computer. Pretty standard hardware huh. My 3d printers have sensors all over.

Yet as winter gets hereand temperatures might drop - some nights it's close to freezing outside now - heating is turned off in office and it may not get under 15 celcius in office.

Gas prices going up in Netherlands to 1.30 euro a m^3. Electric heat better in short :)

I have an old 36 core box (magny cours 12 core cpu's yet only 3 sockets work in that motherboard) which is an excellent electric heater. Eats about 300 watt under full load and stands in a different room where my milling machines are.

Yet i ran srsieve type programs on it to sieve. I do not really know whether those can get stopped easily.

Idea is boot the box if temperature drops in office to 16 celcius. Then have the box boot and run at least a couple of hours until it is at least daylight (say 9 AM) and either keep it running then until it is daylight AND 18C+.

Electric heat cheaper than burning gas.

Searching in short for ways to interrupt sieving and then continue sieving from where it was.

What programs offer possibilities there?
diep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-17, 23:04   #2
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

10000000011002 Posts

Many of my machines, which use Ubuntu are set to suspend at a particular time in the evening. I then un-suspend them manually in the morning, with the power button. They seem to hold the suspended state fine and continue factoring right where they were when awakened. The "systemctl suspend" invocation has to be made by root. A non-root userid did not work. I'm using crontab and a time, where you would want to supply a different signal.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-17, 23:16   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

273E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diep View Post
What programs offer possibilities there?
There are many options. Depending on your scope.

Those who are not scared of running stacks might want to test deploying a Cacti instance or two.

Jolly good fun!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-18, 00:42   #4
diep

Sep 2006
The Netherlands

78110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Many of my machines, which use Ubuntu are set to suspend at a particular time in the evening. I then un-suspend them manually in the morning, with the power button. They seem to hold the suspended state fine and continue factoring right where they were when awakened. The "systemctl suspend" invocation has to be made by root. A non-root userid did not work. I'm using crontab and a time, where you would want to supply a different signal.
Yes i'm bit more advanced here with the robotics experience and busy releasing a 3d printer which even has SSR's (solid state relays).

In this case it would be a simple relay that gives a little voltage for a few seconds taking care the machine gets booted.

So the booting of the machine is no big deal. It's starting and stopping the srsieve automatically. In this case i would run 36 instances at 36 cores obviously.

How to connect from the booted computer to the monitoring hardware is yet another good question not yet answerred.

Might simply put it on a network with a simple r-pi maybe.

Easier to program there would be an arduino for me - but those do not connect to a network.

Only have an usb cable which is tricky at any OS to communicate to (losing sometimes connection is also always a possibility with USB though lucky doesn't happen much).

The r-pi has an ethernet port and i still have some old 100 mbit hubs here :)

So i do not know how to solve the srsieve stopping and restarting - the rest is peanuts.
Keeping machine turned on is not an option. Idle wasting 150-200 watt or so and under full load 310 watt + gpu.

Last fiddled with by diep on 2021-10-18 at 00:45
Old 2021-10-18, 00:55   #5
diep

Sep 2006
The Netherlands

11000011012 Posts

When i'm thinking about it - there is simple way to have the arduino monitor the machine.

2 pins of machine give when it is up and running - arduino can detect that.
2 pins it can short for a few seconds to boot it.

No network no nothing needed.

A simple 7 dollar arduino eating nearly no power at all to monitor it.

The problem is figuring out how to restart srsieve continueing from where it stayed and stopping it when it's daylight and hot enough (2 conditions) and then some possibilities with push buttons for me to control the arduino.

maybe a small touchscreen.

some googling first whether someone already designed something like this before instead of invent wheel myself :)

But it's about the srsieve. How to control that?
Old 2021-10-18, 01:03   #6
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

2·1,087 Posts

Quote:

So i do not know how to solve the srsieve stopping and restarting - the rest is peanuts.
The rest of your post is above my head. But you can definitely programmatically/on-Schedule Pause/Snapshot and then restart a Virtual-Machine (that's running srsieve) after the host has rebooted. There must be ways to trigger Smart-Plugs based on outside temperature and a Battery-Backup could make the shutdown take care of the necessary routines before the computer goes off.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-18, 02:31   #7
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

22·13·79 Posts

Does standby not work with srsieve? Does it have to be stopped and restarted?* My machines here enter standby and come out of it exactly where they were and continue crunching. Standby can usually be set to operate from the power switch as well as from systemctl. The only effect with my factoring programs is that a normal 20 minute job shows up as taking 10 hours.

* As to starting and stopping rather than standby, what I do in this case is have a covering script look for a file to signal stopping the factoring program. e.g. I have a script dbW.sh that looks for "stopdbW" to exist in the working directory to tell the script to stop the operation. I have a separate machine (sometimes I use an RPi for this) scp a stop file named "stopdbW" to the appropriate location on the dbW machine and it stops. I have the dbW script in the startup set of files, so that when the machine starts, it also starts the dbW script.

Last fiddled with by EdH on 2021-10-18 at 02:32 Reason: minor addition.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 05:35   #8
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

14078 Posts

Here's a modified version of one of my old sieve control scripts. pipe is a Unix named pipe (created with mkfifo), which you write to using standard write commands (e.g. echo).
Attached Files
File Type: txt main.txt (1.4 KB, 5 views)
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 07:25   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2B1216 Posts

Quote:
Yes i'm bit more advanced here with the robotics experience and busy releasing a 3d printer which even has SSR's (solid state relays).

In this case it would be a simple relay that gives a little voltage for a few seconds taking care the machine gets booted.

So the booting of the machine is no big deal. It's starting and stopping the srsieve automatically. In this case i would run 36 instances at 36 cores obviously.

How to connect from the booted computer to the monitoring hardware is yet another good question not yet answerred.

Might simply put it on a network with a simple r-pi maybe.

Easier to program there would be an arduino for me - but those do not connect to a network.

Only have an usb cable which is tricky at any OS to communicate to (losing sometimes connection is also always a possibility with USB though lucky doesn't happen much).

The r-pi has an ethernet port and i still have some old 100 mbit hubs here :)

Keeping machine turned on is not an option. Idle wasting 150-200 watt or so and under full load 310 watt + gpu.
man 8 cron

USB ethernet or WiFi adapter.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote