mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > Octoproth Search

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-01-13, 14:17   #243
Greenbank
 
Greenbank's Avatar
 
Jul 2005

1100000102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Gerbicz
For this I hope you use kmin=1 and kmax=2^n-1

But also note that in this case the second smallest number 2^(n+1)-k>2^n>10^5, but the smallest number is 2^n-k<10^5 if and only if 2^n-1>k>2^n-10^5 ( because here 2^n-1>k ). It is important because my sieve will delete this prime from the list, because it has got a small prime factor (<10^5). It means that my program miss all octoproth in [2^n-10^5,2^n-2] range and you have to check it by another program ( it isn't very hard because it means you have to check at most 8*10^5 numbers for prp testing ).

And yes it is very important that after you have gotten your text file then check by another program the results, that these are really prime numbers. I think for n>50 it isn't very impossible to get a composite 3-prp numbers.

On page2 there were some results up to n=43 or something like that, have you checked these results, by my octo program? It would be very good.

It isn't impossible to write a faster program for these small n values, because prp testing is much-much faster than sieving for these small n values.
Yes, I'm going from 1 to 2^n.

I see what you mean about the top end of a range, I'll make a note that these ranges need to be rechecked when we have something that can check them.

So far every 3-prp number your program has output has been confirmed as prime. However I will always check them with the PARI script to be sure.

As for double checking, that is something to bear in mind. Again, I'll add that to my list and have a think about it.

P.S. Results for completed ranges posted in a new thread, with downloads.

Last fiddled with by Greenbank on 2006-01-13 at 14:18
Greenbank is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 14:39   #244
robert44444uk
 
robert44444uk's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

24·7·17 Posts
Default Spiders

I rather like the idea of looking for spiders, with between 0 and 8 legs.

Take an octoproth, this will form the body, with four segments.

k*2^n+1,k*2^(n+1)+1
k*2^n-1, k*2^(n+1)-1
2^n+k, 2^(n+1)+k
2^n-k, 2^(n+1)-k

Now see how many legs the spider has. Each segment has two possible legs, representing n values one less and one more than on the segment. For example:

Possible left leg Body Possible right leg
k*2^(n-1)+1 k*2^n+1, k*2^(n+1)+1 k*2^(n+2)+1

The possible legs become legs when they are prime.

A dodecaproth with have four left or 4 right legs, a fully fledged spider will have eight legs.

Given that these forms are likely to be highly rare, it would be interesting to see the distribution of legs on those existing octos already discovered. It is highly probable that we will find octos with 4 legs, although they will not all be on one side. 5 legs would be nice. 6 a bonus although unlucky.

Regards

Robert Smith
robert44444uk is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 15:01   #245
Greenbank
 
Greenbank's Avatar
 
Jul 2005

2·193 Posts
Default

n=51 is complete and has 16870 confirmed Octoproths. Will add this to the info and downloads shortly.
Greenbank is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 15:31   #246
smh
 
smh's Avatar
 
"Sander"
Oct 2002
52.345322,5.52471

29·41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbank
The first 4 were the ones found with axn1's Pascal program which let a few more pseudo-primes through than octo.exe.
This is not true. axn1's program worked fine, it was just Templus who forgot to extend the ABC file to test for the remaining 4 cases.

See post 65 - 69 of this tread.
smh is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 15:51   #247
Greenbank
 
Greenbank's Avatar
 
Jul 2005

2·193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh
This is not true. axn1's program worked fine, it was just Templus who forgot to extend the ABC file to test for the remaining 4 cases.

See post 65 - 69 of this tread.
We're both right. ;-)

axn1's program still outputs those values, otherwise Templus would not know them to pass them through PFGW. octo 4.5 (and previous versions) does not even output these values as possible octoproths.

And yes, Templus forgot to add the last 4 cases to the ABC line.
Greenbank is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 15:58   #248
R. Gerbicz
 
R. Gerbicz's Avatar
 
"Robert Gerbicz"
Oct 2005
Hungary

13×109 Posts
Default

Greenbank can you modify the function of f=floor() to f=round(), see the number of octoproth thread, because in this case it'll give also that for n<27: f(n)=0 and for n>=27 : f(n)>0
ps in some cases it'll give the correct number of octoproths!!!
R. Gerbicz is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 17:15   #249
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

17×281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Gerbicz
But also note that in this case the second smallest number 2^(n+1)-k>2^n>10^5, but the smallest number is 2^n-k<10^5 if and only if 2^n-1>k>2^n-10^5 ( because here 2^n-1>k ). It is important because my sieve will delete this prime from the list, because it has got a small prime factor (<10^5). It means that my program miss all octoproth in [2^n-10^5,2^n-2] range and you have to check it by another program ( it isn't very hard because it means you have to check at most 8*10^5 numbers for prp testing ).
Please see this post earlier in the thread (at the bottom). I have already verified that there are no octos in [2^n-10^5,2^n-2] for n <= 64. What I did was, I modified the original sieve to count down from 2^n to 2^n-10^5 and disabled the code for sieving the 2^n-k form (so sieving with 7 forms instead of 8, which was still very good). I don't remember how many candidates survived the sieve, but there were no octos

Last fiddled with by axn on 2006-01-13 at 17:18
axn is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 17:16   #250
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

17·281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbank
We're both right. ;-)

axn1's program still outputs those values, otherwise Templus would not know them to pass them through PFGW. octo 4.5 (and previous versions) does not even output these values as possible octoproths.

And yes, Templus forgot to add the last 4 cases to the ABC line.
For the record, that program didn't do _any_ PRP tests It was only a sieve, meant to replace NewPGen. It was up to user to later do the PRP and find out which are the actual octos.

Last fiddled with by axn on 2006-01-13 at 17:17
axn is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 17:31   #251
R. Gerbicz
 
R. Gerbicz's Avatar
 
"Robert Gerbicz"
Oct 2005
Hungary

141710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn1
Please see this post earlier in the thread (at the bottom). I have already verified that there are no octos in [2^n-10^5,2^n-2] for n <= 64. What I did was, I modified the original sieve to count down from 2^n to 2^n-10^5 and disabled the code for sieving the 2^n-k form (so sieving with 7 forms instead of 8, which was still very good). I don't remember how many candidates survived the sieve, but there were no octos
I've checked that page, but : 3762658725,32 is still not an octoproth! I don't know but it is possible that your version has got a bug! ( for n=32 there are 6 octoproth )
R. Gerbicz is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 17:59   #252
robert44444uk
 
robert44444uk's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

24×7×17 Posts
Default 32

32 was the first number I checked, and I went up to k=4bn, using NewPgen as the initial sieve, and pfgw for primality testing, and only found 6, so that the 3762658725 value was not amongst those - see message #1 in this thread!!

Regards

Robert Smith
robert44444uk is offline  
Old 2006-01-13, 18:19   #253
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

17·281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Gerbicz
I've checked that page, but : 3762658725,32 is still not an octoproth! I don't know but it is possible that your version has got a bug! ( for n=32 there are 6 octoproth )
Indeed! That shouldn't be there.

Blame it on human error. The primality testing was a manual process. I tried to be careful but somehow this one has slipped thru

Anyway, the important thing about that post was the last bit -- i.e. no Octos in [2^n-10^5,2^n-2] for n <= 64.

Last fiddled with by axn on 2006-01-13 at 18:20
axn is offline  
 

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small Primes for Octoproths <= 155 ValerieVonck Octoproth Search 100 2007-02-16 23:43
Found Octoproths - Range Archive ValerieVonck Octoproth Search 0 2007-02-14 07:24
Number of octoproths per n Greenbank Octoproth Search 15 2006-01-20 16:29
Need help with NewPGen(octoproths) jasong Software 1 2005-05-10 20:08

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:00.

Fri Nov 27 01:00:04 UTC 2020 up 77 days, 22:11, 3 users, load averages: 1.26, 1.20, 1.33

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.