Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2009-09-16, 18:59   #34
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

9,161 Posts

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...narian-robber/
"The robber was wearing an oxygen tank in an over-the-shoulder bag and had an oxygen tube affixed to his nose."
___
Are they sure it was an oxygen tank?
Perhaps it was a captive bolt pistol tank?
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 19:50   #35
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

3×2,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
"The robber was wearing an oxygen tank in an over-the-shoulder bag and had an oxygen tube affixed to his nose."
Wouldn't be the first to rob to pay for medical bills.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 05:24   #36
flouran

Dec 2008

2·5·83 Posts
Default The Best Dad

This dad deserves a goddamn Father of the Year award or something :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32925907...me_and_courts/
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 09:43   #37

Dec 2004
The Land of Lost Content

1000100012 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-America.html
99.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 05:39   #38
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Large Hadron Collider

While I like science magazines very much, my education was cut short early, so I really don't understand a lot of the stuff about the science behind it.

This is my lousy introduction, feel free to skip the following silliness and go to the next paragraph:

But, for those of you who don't know, the Large Hadron(notice where the d and r are, my fellow dirty-minded Americans ;) ) is a multi-billion dollar device built on the border between Switzerland and France in order to try to get some more clues about mother nature. It's about 17 miles in circumfrence, and was made, to put it bluntly, to smash stuff together at really high speeds. So, right there, it's already kind of appealing to about a third of the population, including myself. Unfortunately, the stuff being banged together is so tiny you can't watch it get banged together.

Okay, I'm an idiot and that was a bad start. The Large Hadron Collider was developed to educate us about particle physics, and physics and general. If they ever get it working, then it will shed light on how the universe works...We HOPE... Alternately, we may discover that our theories are so far off as to not be able to make any sense at all of the resulting data. Either way, we're going to make some major discoveries, in my opinion. Any result will be a major one, since we know there are gaps in our knowledge. Simply put, if we can get a year or two's worth of results, even nothing new would be meaningful, since it would put new boundaries in terms of how to explain the gaps in our knowledge.

One of the main things they're hoping to find is something called the God Particle which, thankfully, has nothing to do with Jesus, or Allah or any other major religious deity. The God Particle is an unknown particle which supposedly gives everything around us mass and explains why some things weigh a lot and some things barely weigh anything at all. The weights they're mainly concerned with have to do with subatomic particles, protons, electrons, neutrons and the particles that make those things up.

One of the things I've been thinking about, since the LHC is predicted to start up again(and last a lot longer than before, I hope) is that if we figure out what causes gravity, does that mean we'll finally have the knowledge to separate the notion of mass from inertia? We know that if you take yourself from the Earth to the Moon, your weight will change majorly, but Newton's Three Laws stay exactly the same. But what if we discover a way to, say, decrease the inertia within a sphere to respond differently outside the sphere?(or any other shape) So, on the inside, it might simply be microgravity, but on the outside, you have an engine that has significantly less to push out of the Earth's gravity well. And it wouldn't necessarily stop there, what about something underneath a car, so that there is significantly less weight on the wheels? Then you'd mainly be worried about air resistance.

They also think we might discover something about dark matter, maybe even make dark matter. We might discover new laws we weren't even aware of. There might be good or bad repercussions that we don't even know about yet.

Comments?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 05:47   #39
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100012 Posts

Damn, sorry, meant to start a new thread.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 05:51   #40
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

133678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
While I like science magazines very much, my education was cut short early, so I really don't understand a lot of the stuff about the science behind it.

<snip lots of LHC misinformation>

Comments?
The LHC is hardly 'Wacky news that makes you go "wtf?"'. It is just science as usual. But your "explanation" of its potential and goals didn't help much, a link to some proper info would have been a lot more accurate.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 17:24   #41
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

177F16 Posts

From http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article...plan_from_site

Code:
The University of Florida's response plans for a zombie apocalypse are
no longer available for public consumption.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said Friday the university removed a link to a
disaster recovery exercise, which detailed how the school could respond to
an outbreak of the undead. The link was taken down late Thursday afternoon.

Orlando says officials felt the joke "didn't really belong" on the site, which
also included plans for dealing with hurricanes and pandemics.

The exercise lays out the university's response to attacks by "flesh-eating,
apparently life impaired individuals." It notes that a zombie outbreak might
include "documentation of lots of strange moaning."

Orlando says the employee who wrote the gag wasn't punished.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 04:53   #42
flouran

Dec 2008

14768 Posts
Default 74 Year Old Mauled by Raccoons

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33175101/ns/us_news-life/

flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 12:45   #43
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003