mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-10-30, 04:38   #45
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×5,059 Posts

If the concern is memory, download and run MemTest86. You need to run it from a flash or CD boot device. The link is to the official home page, where there is a download button. You can get zipped ISO for creating a bootable disk, or a zipped file helpfully named "memtest86+ usb installer.exe"

MemTest is pretty definitive if it finds or doesn't find errors. In your case, I would kind of expect errors to pop up in a very short time if memory is at fault. It has a series of tests it runs through. A full cycle without errors is good, but running more than one is better for catching illusive faults. Again, you may well see a bunch of red lines in the readout, sometimes right out of the gate, as it were.
https://www.memtest86.com/
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-30, 05:01   #46
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5·1,787 Posts

Our dear forum host recommends a different program for testing memory, but it costs a few rubles.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...60&postcount=6
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-30, 05:10   #47
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×5,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Our dear forum host recommends a different program for testing memory, but it costs a few rubles.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...60&postcount=6
Interesting. The time involved with MemTest is tiresome, though one full cycle doesn't take that long.
BTW Uncwilly, when your explanation above about PRP 1st time vs DC finally sunk in I got a grip on what was happening. I have not dug out the local and prime txt lines to force things, but knowing how it works is a big help. Thanks.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-10-30 at 05:14
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-30, 11:23   #48
mathematizer

Oct 2020

408 Posts

Oh this is interesting...

Got another Gerbicz/hardware error last night with XMP off.

Not sure what that means exactly.

Just that we can’t eliminate RAM as the problem yet? That it could still be RAM or CPU, or something else?

My original CPU wouldn’t let me even install windows, so I swapped it out for a the new i5 9600k, but I’ve still had occasional blurry blue screens (been at least a month since I’ve seen one though).

Would next steps be to run one of the memory tests that’s been recommended on both pairs of the RAM that I have, separately? Or something else?

Thoughts?

Last fiddled with by mathematizer on 2020-10-30 at 11:33
mathematizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-30, 11:52   #49
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

66618 Posts

Usually "tuning" hardware involves temperature, timing or voltage. You have ruled out the first two and maybe it time to try the third, for both the memory and the CPU. Maybe try adding a tiny amount to the CPU firstly and see if your system is more stable.

My Haswell won't boot without extra voltage. I found a sweet spot for maximum stabililty and not very much extra temperature.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-30, 12:53   #50
mathematizer

Oct 2020

25 Posts

Thanks for the post. Appreciate all the advice I’ve been given, and I’m trying to decide what to do with my limited evening time for troubleshooting. My limited experience also plays a role in it, as steps that might normally only take a few minutes might take me a bit longer to understand, research vocabulary/procedures, and execute.

If I’m understanding correctly, when I get home from work:

I’ll turn xmp back on (with the current 2 sticks of RAM)
Look for voltage settings in my BIOS and add .05v to my CPU
Then see if that reduces my errors over the next several days.

Eventually I’ll try adding .05v to the two sticks of RAM... and eventually I’ll try all 4 sticks. At some point I may try one of the two memory tests that were mentioned as well.

Last fiddled with by mathematizer on 2020-10-30 at 13:06
Old 2020-10-30, 17:16   #51
Runtime Error

Sep 2017
USA

18310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematizer View Post
Got another Gerbicz/hardware error last night with XMP off.
Bummer. I'm sorry to hear that. Although I guess it is possible that RAM is still at fault, something else is more probable. In lieu of other immediate strategies, it might be worth turning up voltage by 0.05v with XMP off while keeping your fingers crossed for a little while.

This is where the limits of my experience end. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can help you. In an effort to generate feedback, it might be worth listing out all of the components and manufacturers along with new/used status for all of your parts from power supply to motherboard to cables. Perhaps something will stick out for someone. Good luck!

PS: My father was a middle school math teacher, and I blame him for my addiction to this stuff. You're doing good work! If you teach division, I imagine your students would be very impressed by the factors you'll find running mfactc on your GPU. Just food for thought. :)
Runtime Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-30, 20:56   #52
mathematizer

Oct 2020

25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtime Error View Post
... it might be worth listing out all of the components and manufacturers along with new/used status for all of your parts from power supply to motherboard to cables. Perhaps something will stick out for someone.
Here is a link that I think is mostly up to date on my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nFDFGq

i5 9600K (new)
Asus TUF Z390 Plus (new)
Radeon 5700xt 8gb gddr6 thicc ii ultra 2 (used)
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB 3000MHz (new)
EVGA 550W 80+ Gold Cert ATX modular PSU (new)
iCue h100i RGB Pro XT AIO (new)
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (new)
Win10

CPU Notes: I had used i7 that was causing blue screens before I could install win10, think it had a bad memory controller, once I bought the i5 I was able to install, but have occasionally had strange blurry blue screens, haven't had one in over a month.

MOBO notes: I also have a Z370 Plus (used, that I swapped out in the process of troubleshooting the CPU, it did have a bad m2 stand that I yanked out and replaced.)

GPU notes: I have a new Sapphire Pulse 5600xt, but was recently mailed the 5700xt from a friend who upgraded. Both seem to work fine.

RAM notes: I also have two other sticks (used), same specs. I swapped them out when I was troubleshooting the i7.

Last fiddled with by mathematizer on 2020-10-30 at 21:05
Old 2020-10-30, 20:58   #53
mathematizer

Oct 2020

25 Posts

I'll need to look more closely at the z390 BIOS to determine how to do what's been recommended for the CPU and RAM - I'm overwhelmed by options in there.

I think I just "offset" the CPU by "+0.05v" and it booted successfully... But I didn't get any warnings that I was about to overclock, like I saw with the XMP settings.
Old 2020-10-30, 21:13   #54
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematizer View Post
I'll need to look more closely at the z390 BIOS to determine how to do what's been recommended for the CPU and RAM - I'm overwhelmed by options in there.

I think I just "offset" the CPU by "+0.05v" and it booted successfully... But I didn't get any warnings that I was about to overclock, like I saw with the XMP settings.
If it seems more stable yet fails after a few days you might need to add a tiny amount of voltage say 0.02v. Time will tell. If on the other hand it is stable for a week you could try dropping the offset to +0.04v.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-31, 00:20   #55
mathematizer

Oct 2020

2016 Posts

I bet the temps posted earlier were from my coolant. I installed HWMonitor and got these results... looks like the CPU is around 50C?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temps 10.30.20.png
Views:	23
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	23685