mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2008-04-13, 21:24   #1

Mar 2005
58967,17,3,3 ---> bc.ca

1108 Posts
Wink Concept of the Infinity

When one starts to think of infinity one cannot stop thinking, and the infinity immediately starts to overwhelm that thought and the container which may be attempting to contain it. In a finite universe, the thought of the infinity immediately causes the universe to become the infinite. But the universe is finite, hence a paradox!

Ceasing to think, I now realize that the Big Bang was probably initiated by a mathematician, elsewhere and elsewhen. My expectation is that that mathematician was thinking an idle thought, and just got blown away by it when starting to think about the infinity.

Continuing with that same lack of thought, I now know that idle thought about the infinity carries the need of forethought, and the practice of responsibility.

So if you are a mathematician, be careful of that which you may think or not think.

Just as an aside, I once started reading the book Manual on How to Think About The Infinity but I haven't finished reading it yet. But if I ever get the chance, I want to read the next manual in the series Manual on How to Think About The Paradox

Commencing now thought of something close to the infinity,

I am your humble mathematician,

Simon of Sigh

Last fiddled with by 9021951 on 2008-04-13 at 21:27 Reason: the desperate need to underline
9021951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 15:55   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Repรบblica de California

101101111010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9021951 View Post
I once started reading the book Manual on How to Think About The Infinity but I haven't finished reading it yet.
...goes without saying.

Quote:
But if I ever get the chance, I want to read the next manual in the series Manual on How to Think About The Paradox
Not until you finish page oo of the first volume - and don't forget to also read the [mercifully finite] epilogue.

I once saw a fellow at the local coffee bar ostentatiously reading a luridly-covered hardback volume titled, "How to think like a genius."
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 00:13   #3
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

10001111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Not until you finish page oo of the first volume - and don't forget to also read the [mercifully finite] epilogue.
He could just read the concluding summary first, by starting with the epilogue and working back...
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 12:55   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2D8A16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr View Post
He could just read the concluding summary first, by starting with the epilogue and working back...
Alternatively, he could halve the time by indulging in a little speed-reading and studying only the even-numbered pages.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 12:56   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

266128 Posts

Quote:
But the universe is finite
Do you have a proof of the validity of that statement? Do you even have convincing experimental or observational evidence?

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 13:28   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5×7×191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Quote:
But the universe is finite
Do you have a proof of the validity of that statement? Do you even have convincing experimental or observational evidence?
Can you prove it is not finite? Which is the more extravagant claim, infinite for finite?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 13:32   #7
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

22·3·311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Can you prove it is not finite? Which is the more extravagant claim, infinite for finite?
But Xilman did not claim that it was infinite; asking for proof of a grandious claim is not the same as claiming the opposite.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 13:40   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

150358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
But Xilman did not claim that it was infinite; asking for proof of a grandious claim is not the same as claiming the opposite.
Sorry, my post reads badly, it was not meant to be accusative, merely curious.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 13:53   #9
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

22×3×311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Sorry, my post reads badly, it was not meant to be accusative, merely curious.
Sorry for misinterpreting. For what it's worth, I think that the universe is in fact infinite, in the sense that the most likely scenario given our current understanding of things is heat death.
Old 2008-04-15, 14:44   #10
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

22×1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
Sorry for misinterpreting. For what it's worth, I think that the universe is in fact infinite, in the sense that the most likely scenario given our current understanding of things is heat death.
Go read DeSitter's paper(s) on the subject.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 15:06   #11
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

22×3×311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Go read DeSitter's paper(s) on the subject.
Thanks, that's a fascinating area of research I hadn't come across before. I haven't found or read his actual paper(s), but there appears to be a wealth of info on the subject elsewhere.

At first, it seemed to me that a deSitter universe supports the heat death hypothesis, because an exponentially expanding universe would seem to become diluted until maximum entropy is reached. But not so! Here's a thread which helped me see possibly why...
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=14350