Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-10-23, 17:58   #122
FlaJunkie

Mar 2021
Rockledge, Sunny FL

1001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
We can never get enough of Florida Man it seems.
I'm sure.
FlaJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-23, 21:03   #123
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2×17×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaJunkie View Post
I would love to know how many "atmospheric physicists", "climatologists" and other scientists in related fields to climate and climate change are in his Group 1 (believes in manmade climate change) and Group 2 (skeptics - believes in other reasons for climate change).

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2022-10-23 at 21:05
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-23, 22:52   #124
FlaJunkie

Mar 2021
Rockledge, Sunny FL

2×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
I would love to know how many "atmospheric physicists", "climatologists" and other scientists in related fields to climate and climate change are in his Group 1 (believes in manmade climate change) and Group 2 (skeptics - believes in other reasons for climate change).
I would as well. It would be interesting to try to follow the money in each group, wouldn't it?
Old 2022-10-23, 23:06   #125
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·3·461 Posts

Quote:
I would as well. It would be interesting to try to follow the money in each group, wouldn't it?
The data is out there. Why don't you follow it, and publish a paper?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 14:42   #126
FlaJunkie

Mar 2021
Rockledge, Sunny FL

2×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
The data is out there. Why don't you follow it and publish a paper?
Because I don't have time to waste. No way I can convince any of you AGW believers any more than I can convince anyone that the present administration is the very worst in American history.

I've given you links to follow. You do the homework.
Old 2022-10-26, 15:44   #127
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

10,891 Posts

Quote:
Because I don't have time to waste.
That is a copout argument. It is a way of saying "I can't be bothered with the facts".
If you don't want to engage in a serious conversation and entertain rational data that may not support your position (which from my perspective is an ideological one and not a science driven one) you can leave and we won't cry when you do. You have yet to post an any part of the forum about the main mission of the forum (Prime numbers and mathematics). That makes you look like someone that is just trying to stir up things.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 16:28   #128
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

22·3·7·67 Posts

Quote:
Because I don't have time to waste.
Then why did you waste time posting to begin with? Your time, or ours?

I did do my homework on your "3mm per year sea level rise, it's linear"... and it's not. The average over the last 70 years at Miami is indeed 3 mm / year (8 inches since 1950), but the graph is not linear. You *can* fit a line to any data, but that doesn't make the data linear- of course, you're posting on a math forum, so you wouldn't expect to convince any of us of that hand-waving claim. Yet, you made it anyway.

The best-fit curve to the annual sea-level measurements suggests that current rate of rise is a bit over double the rate from 1950-2000, and that rate appears to be increasing. 8 inch rise the last 70 years, with forecast of 10-12 inches in the next 30 years. Not linear. Surely, you can simply choose to disagree with the forecast- but I can ignore all BS about causes and CO2 levels and just project the next 20 years based on the previous 70 years' data and reach a similar conclusion of 10 inches of sea level rise in the next 20-30 years.

But you're not here to have your mind changed, nor to receive help evaluating data. We who do look at the data, ignore shrill political BS, and reach our own conclusions have done so, and some of us are willing to discuss possible interpretations of said data. You show no inclination to have data-driven views, very little chance of changing your mind no matter what comes in the next decade in the climate. Smoking doesn't cause cancer, right?
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 17:07   #129
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

120108 Posts

Where's Carl Sagan?

I recommend looking at the historical data for degree days (heating and cooling, for any base temperature, your location) and look what changed in the last 20 years or more. Also look at the historical irradiation coming from the Sun for the same period of time. Look at the datasets and please tell me what can you see.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-26, 21:37   #130
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·3·461 Posts

Quote:
I'm not the student here.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-27, 06:32   #131
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

D6A16 Posts

This is a good quote and a very scary quote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR46_ohNh9U&t=14m43s

Quote:
On average this is the hottest summer you have ever experienced. It is also the coolest summer for the rest of your life!

Though it is unlikely to be completely accurate, he should have probably said "one of the coolest summers for the rest of your life".

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2022-10-27 at 06:32
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-27, 14:55   #132
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
This is a good quote and a very scary quote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR46_ohNh9U&t=14m43s
Quote:
On average this is the hottest summer you have ever experienced. It is also the coolest summer for the rest of your life!
<snip>
There should be a rule against applying the term "on average" to specific cases. Infractions of this rule should be punishable by death.

Many places, especially major cities, have been keeping "official" weather data for well over a century. There will be record high and low temperatures for each calendar date, and in what year(s) each record was set. If the record high temperatures for most dates have been set relatively recently, that might indicate a warming climate. Just a thought...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote