chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

5·7·317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
That does not make me feel uncomfortable.
To put on the table, from what I can observe tha knows what he is doing.

And I'll be watching him very carefully, and will point out for public discussion if he steps outside of his proposal.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 01:16   #57
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1109510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
What about computers with only occasional internet access? I had one like that not too long ago, I only connected it only once every month or so (slow computer)
Such candidates / computers would not be "exposed" to poaching based on tha's proposal.

Just have your off-line computers "claim" the candidate initially after reservation (through another computer if needed), and every 45 days or so until completion, and you'll be fine.

Really, this is a bit of a mountain being made out of a mole-hill. Most assignments are in no risk of being "poached" by tha and his crew.

(Poaching of low candidates by less thoughtful poachers, on the other hand, cannot be managed by this discussion.)
Old 2013-12-29, 13:08   #58
Miszka

May 2013
Poland

2×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
These two candidates
satisfy the proposal's selection criteria.
Now 28514693 is assigned to "Carsten Kossendey"
I done P-1 for 28514693
I don't know, do or not to do DC for 28514693?
Miszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 13:15   #59
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,571 Posts

Quote:

As I see it, contributing to this project is on a voluntary basis, but like all volunteering, not without obligations. One obligation is to either do reserved work within a reasonable amount of time or to let go the reservations.
+1 for tha.
I´ve been advocating this for a long time.
And as I see it, the proposal he put forward in this thread is not only perfectly reasonable, but it also helps "keeping the pressure lower" and will certainly avoid many uncontrolled poaching actions.

Last fiddled with by lycorn on 2013-12-29 at 13:16
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 13:41   #60
tha

Dec 2002

86610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miszka View Post
Now 28514693 is assigned to "Carsten Kossendey"
I done P-1 for 28514693
I don't know, do or not to do DC for 28514693?
Well, this is hard to say. CDKO had all these exponents originally and assigned to his machine 'leela'. After they were all returned to the pool following action of other GIMPS participants and leadership he has retaken them again.

There is a weird thing about the machine 'leela', that machine is also still doing doublecheck work on a substantial number of other exponents that have already been doublechecked. The amount of reported progress is little if anything at all.

Personally I cannot give him the benefit of doubt. Someone who reclaims over a hundred of exponents in such a delicate range may be held to higher standards than ordinary contributors. With a very high number of postings in this forum, why be so low key all at a sudden?

If you haven't started DC'íng on this exponent there is no price to pay by switching to another exponent as they are still available. I switched an exponent that I had not started on. But I will continue to work on the ones that I have started to work on regardless of future reclaims. And I will continue to work on the compiled list if there is insignificant progress by machines that have the profile of errant machines.

Last fiddled with by tha on 2013-12-29 at 13:43
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 14:26   #61
tha

Dec 2002

2×433 Posts

For the record, "leela" is now claimed to be a four core machine processing 4 exponents in each period of 14 days time, AND to continue working on a bunch of already DC'ed exponents afterwards, which would be in half a year of time.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 14:50   #62
Miszka

May 2013
Poland

2×53 Posts

I will finish the begun work (DC 28900997).
I'll not participate in "rats race" farther.
There are the thousands of different exponents.
Miszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 19:50   #63
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

527810 Posts

Quote:
For the record, "leela" is now claimed to be a four core machine processing 4 exponents in each period of 14 days time, AND to continue working on a bunch of already DC'ed exponents afterwards, which would be in half a year of time.
SO I am confused...how did CKDO get them back from ANONYMOUS?
Or are they one in the same?
Has anyone been able to contact him to see if
A. He released them by accident and meant to keep them?
B. He meant to release them and "leela" took them back by accident?
C. Other

I do NOT want to be a poacher either. I think I will back off until we get this cleared up with CKDO.

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2013-12-29 at 19:53 Reason: Last line
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 20:12   #64
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Look at this one:

27389441 D LL, 21.20% 948 1624 2018-06-10 2013-12-22 2013-12-15 2011-05-26 mspettel C616D7B73

Been running for 2+ years, not going to complete until 2018. How much electricity is this system wasting on an exponent that is done? I thought when Prime95 checked the exponent in and the assigned work was already completed that it would drop the assignment?
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 20:12   #65
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

45B16 Posts

IMHO, Carsten could help us all a great deal by being a little more transparent as to his intentions, and perhaps even discussing his plans here on the forum. He is a known big player, and he is fully aware of the status and importance of these low exponents. He is certainly aware of this forum as a medium of discussion for the GIMPS project. It therefore is difficult not to view his hoarding of hundreds of preferred exponents and similar hijinks as unsportsmanlike conduct.

The only possible benefit of the doubt one could grant is that he flushed the exponents from his assignments list, but failed to remove them from his worktodo files, and the computer(s) bearing these worktodo files therefore re-registered all of these assignments again. But again, this scenario seems highly unlikely for a known power-user who would most assuredly be intimately familiar with the workings of the assignment system.

So, with apologies to Bugs Bunny, I ask the question: What's up, Carsten?
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 20:16   #66
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1109510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
SO I am confused...how did CKDO get them back from ANONYMOUS?
C. Other
Other...

He was asked to release these (and other's) by George a few weeks back, which he did. Then "Spidy" picked them up via a trusted Primenet account, and transferred them to an ANON account. These were then made available to GPU72 users, and he picked them up again but didn't "claim" them (at least, not until recently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
I do NOT want to be a poacher either. I think I will back off until we get this cleared up with CKDO.
Considering his production history, I don't think this effort would be considered poaching by most participants...

And, to be explicit, Carsten is not able to reserve LL nor DC candidates from GPU72 any longer.