Old 2005-11-13, 15:16   #2
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts
Default Re: Lenslet

Yes it is indeed of interest,

BUT I already posted about it back in January here in this forum:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthr...hlight=optical

(my post #3 in Moo's thread about interesting hardware)

I actually have quite a bit of background info on the system too.

Also our company is part of the UK Photonics Cluster so we have connections with lasers, optoelectronics and stuff.

The products page from lenslet has not changed for a long time.

Also I don't think the math is high enough precision for GIMPS (yet).

Nice way of doing parallel multiplies optically though.

Also they planned to shrink the size down a lot (and have not yet done so).

I liked the lenslet video clip.

The spatial light modulator component may actually be useful for other optical projects so I have my eye on that too.

Just I'm not sure it's any direct use at the moment.

----

The optical field is interesting: see the proposed design for a "TWINKLE" device that would help accelerate factorisation using wafer scale integration of optics to detect "smooth" numbers but that is a different approach entirely.

Last fiddled with by Peter Nelson on 2005-11-13 at 15:27
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 20:16   #3
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

it kinda looks like the cross between a breadbox and an intel heat sink size wise but im wondering what there useing to angle the light. There also has to be some sort of hard electronics in there for the sensors as well as the lazer which im guesing is split by mirrors and what not.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-13, 20:45   #4
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

Moo for the lenslet stuff they shine MULTIPLE beams of light (each transmitted at a chosen brightness number not the same. Each beam aims at the "spatial light modulator" which is kinda like the lcd screen on your laptop with the back removed but more like the panels you put on an ohp projector to project a presentation.

So light goes in ONE side then each pixel segment on the lcd gets turned on or off OR some grayscale value like half. This then reduces the brightness of light going out the other side. The light is then detected at the other side using an array of sensors.

You will notice that for each output you are creating the product of inlight times letthrough percentage. ie you just did lots of multiplies in parallel.

You still have to interface the input and output of this optics electrically if I remember they use Xilinx FPGAs for that.

Of course the clocking rate of the lcd stuff is MUCH higher than conventional TFT rates which only give say 8ms refresh time.

All clever stuff but still physically a bit big at the moment, although it does work and can be used for radar, cellphone processing etc.

Last fiddled with by Peter Nelson on 2005-11-13 at 20:46
Old 2005-11-14, 01:05   #5
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

14518 Posts

wonder how well it will perform for gimps -_- hopefully it will do fairly well they have a good idea replace everything with light heck in the furture we wont have solid state just like for everything mabey some kind of bio jelly or something insted of pcb and what not.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-14, 01:44   #6
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

I read recently of something doing bio-optical processing using nanoscale SPINACH type growth culture.

Lol spinach is good for you.