mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > XYYXF Project

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-12-18, 16:16   #430
pxp
 
pxp's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

26·3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety439 View Post
The smallest k such that n^k+k^n is prime (A243147)
47 is 40182, known since Nov 2014. Why is 27 a zero?
pxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 16:50   #431
sweety439
 
Nov 2016

22·3·5·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxp View Post
47 is 40182, known since Nov 2014. Why is 27 a zero?
There is no possible prime for 27

27^n+n^27 = (3^n)^3+(n^9)^3 and a^3+b^3 can be factored as (a+b)*(a^2-a*b+b^2)

Similarly, no possible prime for n = (3*k)^3, (5*k)^5, (7*k)^7, (9*k)^9, (11*k)^11, ... (r*k)^r with odd r>1

Conjecture: There are infinitely many primes for all other n

Last fiddled with by sweety439 on 2020-12-18 at 16:54
sweety439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-18, 19:21   #432
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

434010 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety439 View Post
Conjecture: There are infinitely many primes for all other n
Counterexample: If x = 4, the only integer y > 0 for which 4^y + y^4 is prime is y = 1.

Proof: If y > 1, and y is even, 4^y and y^4 are both divisible by 16, so the sum is divisible by 16.

If y > 1 and odd, say y = 2*k + 1, then 4^y = 4*(2^k)^4, whence 4^y + y^4 = (2*4^k - 2*y*2^k + y^2)* (2*4^k + 2*y*2^k + y^2) [and remember, y = 2*k + 1]

Both factors are greater than 1 for odd y, except for k = 0, y = 1.

Similarly with x = 4*m^4, x^y + y^x is either divisible by 16 or has an algebraic factorization.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-12-18 at 19:31 Reason: xingif optsy
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-19, 05:08   #433
sweety439
 
Nov 2016

22·3·5·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Counterexample: If x = 4, the only integer y > 0 for which 4^y + y^4 is prime is y = 1.

Proof: If y > 1, and y is even, 4^y and y^4 are both divisible by 16, so the sum is divisible by 16.

If y > 1 and odd, say y = 2*k + 1, then 4^y = 4*(2^k)^4, whence 4^y + y^4 = (2*4^k - 2*y*2^k + y^2)* (2*4^k + 2*y*2^k + y^2) [and remember, y = 2*k + 1]

Both factors are greater than 1 for odd y, except for k = 0, y = 1.

Similarly with x = 4*m^4, x^y + y^x is either divisible by 16 or has an algebraic factorization.
Well, x = 4 (and y>1) proven composite by partial algebra factors (like 25*12^n-1, 27*12^n-1, 4*24^n-1, 6*24^n-1 in Riesel conjectures)

Also for x = 64, 324, 1024, 2500, 5184, ... 4*m^4, since even y are divisible by 2 and odd y factored as a^4+4*b^4 (x^y is of the form 4*b^4 if x = 4*m^4, y is odd, and y^x is 4th power, since x is divisible by 4)

So the a-file for A243147 is not right, n=64 should be "0" instead of "unknown"
sweety439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-19, 22:43   #434
pxp
 
pxp's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

26×3 Posts
Default

I have examined all Leyland numbers in the gap between L(145999,10) <146000> and L(146999,10) <147000> and found 17 new primes.

I am going to be doing intervals #23 and #24, postponing #18 until late January.
pxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-20, 09:14   #435
sweety439
 
Nov 2016

22·3·5·47 Posts
Default

Are there any test limit of y, for x=6 (6^y*y^6+1), x=10 (10^y*y^10+1), and x=13 (13^y*y^13+1)? There are no known primes for x=13, and the only known primes for x=6 and x=10 are 6^1*1^6+1 and 10^1*1^10+1

Last fiddled with by sweety439 on 2020-12-20 at 09:17
sweety439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-20, 12:15   #436
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22·2,333 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety439 View Post
Are there any test limit of y, for x=6 (6^y*y^6+1), x=10 (10^y*y^10+1), and x=13 (13^y*y^13+1)? There are no known primes for x=13, and the only known primes for x=6 and x=10 are 6^1*1^6+1 and 10^1*1^10+1
Looking for fish in the meat market?
What do these have to do with this thread?

Better start your own thread.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-20, 16:56   #437
pxp
 
pxp's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

19210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Looking for fish in the meat market?
While I have you here, I've been wondering if you might prefer Sergey over Serge in my Leyland primes indexing effort. It's an easy fix.
pxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-20, 17:11   #438
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22×2,333 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxp View Post
While I have you here, I've been wondering if you might prefer Sergey over Serge in my Leyland primes indexing effort. It's an easy fix.
Sergey, thanks.

A word or two about that other prime class; one can modify existing sieves for that; just think of them as denominators of the xy+y-x, so the changes to sieve code are evident.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 21:47   #439
NorbSchneider
 
NorbSchneider's Avatar
 
"Norbert"
Jul 2014
Budapest

107 Posts
Default

Another new PRP:
27496^27577+27577^27496, 122422 digits.
NorbSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-31, 12:17   #440
pxp
 
pxp's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Weston, Ontario

3008 Posts
Default

I have examined all Leyland numbers in the gap between L(49205,532) <134129> and L(49413,580) <136550> and found 42 new primes.
pxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leyland Primes: ECPP proofs Batalov XYYXF Project 16 2019-08-04 00:32
Mersenne Primes p which are in a set of twin primes is finite? carpetpool Miscellaneous Math 3 2017-08-10 13:47
Distribution of Mersenne primes before and after couples of primes found emily Math 34 2017-07-16 18:44
On Leyland Primes davar55 Puzzles 9 2016-03-15 20:55
possible primes (real primes & poss.prime products) troels munkner Miscellaneous Math 4 2006-06-02 08:35

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:49.

Fri Mar 5 01:49:49 UTC 2021 up 91 days, 22:01, 0 users, load averages: 1.40, 1.49, 1.80

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.