Old 2022-01-18, 01:16   #89
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

2×5×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
Mean Time Before Failure
It is mean time between failures, not before. But I do find it a little hard to believe that on average you only get 1 drive failure per 114 years, if that is the case then I have been particularly unlucky.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 01:35   #90
PhilF

"6800 descendent"
Feb 2005
Colorado

2BD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
It is mean time between failures, not before. But I do find it a little hard to believe that on average you only get 1 drive failure per 114 years, if that is the case then I have been particularly unlucky.
It isn't 1 drive in 114 years, it is half of them. Since we obviously don't have data over that time period, it is extrapolated. See this:

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/h...-afr-174791en/
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 02:26   #91
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

26×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
83,000 hours is quite remarkable. Do you recall the capacity?
~450GB. What I thought remarkable is the number of dives to the floor it survived. (I lost count.)
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 09:27   #92
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I guess it is an after market fan because the originals scream a bit under full load. Have you considered replacing the fan component?
Thought about it but can't be bothered. I'll swap it when it hard fails but until then I have an adequate solution.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 11:35   #93
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

210210 Posts

Quote:
Actually, the Mean Time Before Failure these days is over 1 million hours. That means by the time 1,000,000 power-on hours is reached, half the drives are expected to have failed.

I found this page very interesting, since it relates to hard drive reliability by brand:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q2-2020/
This may not apply if they get banged hard against a wall like this one did.

I have a location to move all the files on it to and I rarely think about it. I have a cloud subscription on ADrive. There is way more than enough room there. I have a fast internet connection so it should not take a great deal of time.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 12:15   #94
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·941 Posts

Quote:
I guess it is an after market fan because the originals scream a bit under full load. Have you considered replacing the fan component?
No, the original. It is a large relatively slow-spinning fan which is held on by a cable tie as well as the regular clips. I found it made a better seal around the edges so cooling air didn't leak out.
Old 2022-01-18, 13:09   #95
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

412010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
No, the original. It is a large relatively slow-spinning fan which is held on by a cable tie as well as the regular clips. I found it made a better seal around the edges so cooling air didn't leak out.
I have a spare original AMD 1090t CPU fan and heat sink that has not been used much at all as I went for an after market one. It just needs locating in a box and I am willing to post it to you buck-shee. Let me know if you ever want it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2022-01-18_13-01-36.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	26439  

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-01-18 at 13:10
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 13:54   #96
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32·641 Posts

Quote:
Actually, the Mean Time Before Failure these days is over 1 million hours. That means by the time 1,000,000 power-on hours is reached, half the drives are expected to have failed.
<snip>
Not from what I've read. MTBF is just total service hours divided by number of failures. Say you take a thousand HDD's and run them all for a thousand hours, and one of them fails. MTBF is then one million hours.

It gets worse. Assuming (probably wrongly) a constant failure rate, the number of surviving units would decrease exponentially. The proportion left at MTBF would be 1/e = 0.367879+ rather than 1/2.

And, of course, the failure rate is almost certainly not constant. There may be a lot of early failures due to bad individual components, and a lot of late failures as things simply wear out.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 16:10   #97
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2C1C16 Posts

Quote:
I have a spare original AMD 1090t CPU fan and heat sink that has not been used much at all as I went for an after market one. It just needs locating in a box and I am willing to post it to you buck-shee. Let me know if you ever want it.
Thanks. PM sent.
Old 2022-01-18, 19:39   #98
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

26×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
It gets worse. Assuming (probably wrongly) a constant failure rate, the number of surviving units would decrease exponentially. The proportion left at MTBF would be 1/e = 0.367879+ rather than 1/2.

And, of course, the failure rate is almost certainly not constant. There may be a lot of early failures due to bad individual components, and a lot of late failures as things simply wear out.
Indeed it does. Life expectancy of humans is ~80 years, but in many billions of data points, there are no reliably documented examples of twice that value, and 1.5 times that is quite rare. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...oldest-person/
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-19, 10:26   #99
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

260348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Indeed it does. Life expectancy of humans is ~80 years, but in many billions of data points, there are no reliably documented examples of twice that value, and 1.5 times that is quite rare. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...oldest-person/
See, also, "bathtub curve" and "infant mortality".