mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2022-01-17, 20:10   #1607
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

1011000101102 Posts

Because it is easier to blame someone/somebody than accepting things that happen for no reason.
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 20:49   #1608
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
<snip>
A prominent Republican died of COVID in Texas, but the right-wing media would only state that they died of pneumonia.
Yup.
Quote:
One of my wife's friends was trying to convince people that the virus was created by China and that the genes in the omicron variant were clearly modified before it was released into the wild. She also claims that there are many studies showing the effectiveness of ivermectin and zinc in treating COVID, but the liberal media is preventing reporting of that.
I've heard similar things. They must be true. Facebook is absolutely rigorous about fact checking.
Quote:
I just don't know why these people are so determined to continue believing these conspiracy theories.
The quotation in this post may be pertinent.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 20:52   #1609
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2·191 Posts

Quote:
I just don't know why these people are so determined to continue believing these conspiracy theories.
Because to change their position now would be to admit that they are suckers, they listen to liars, and they've been fools for probably at least a couple of decades.

It's easier to deny reality than to be ashamed of what you've done.

ETA: At the time I typed up this reply I hadn't seen Dr Sardonicus' message...

Last fiddled with by slandrum on 2022-01-17 at 20:59
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 00:33   #1610
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

224210 Posts

Quote:
One of my wife's friends was trying to convince people that the virus was created by China and that the genes in the omicron variant were clearly modified before it was released into the wild.
Quote:
Doctors say claim that China's 1st Omicron case came from Canada isn't based on science
Doctors say an allegation out of Beijing that China's first Omicron case may be linked to mail received from Toronto should be treated with deep skepticism.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/chi...mail-1.6318115

This should fix the following:

Quote:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least one character.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2022-01-18 at 00:34
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 01:28   #1611
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

7×23×61 Posts

Quote:
It has a very similar basis to why people cannot quit heroin. Their brain cannot quit heroin, responding with too much pain for withdrawal.
Similarly, quitting a wrong mindset creates so much cognitive dissonance that, again, people cannot quit. Too much pain.

People who invented brainwashing knew that very well. You just have to hook many people on a wrong idea like on heroin, and rinse-and-repeat just a couple times. Then these people are stuck in an endless cycle of "using" - they do now have the courage and resolution to admit that what they believed was wrong and that everything that was built on that was wrong and that all the people they wronged need amends. AA and NA are needed; most people cannot fix themselves on their own.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 07:48   #1612
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

26·101 Posts

nasal spray could protect against covid https://nypost.com/2022/01/12/nasal-...up-to-8-hours/
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 13:00   #1613
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
nasal spray could protect against covid https://nypost.com/2022/01/12/nasal-...up-to-8-hours/
Eight hours? Bah! The nasal spray in the NY Post article a year ago promised protection for two days!
Old 2022-01-18, 15:40   #1614
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32×641 Posts

Courtesy of the Texas Department of State Health Services (560K PDF), COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by Vaccination Status has some interesting tables and graphs.

November 8 2021 news release here.
Old 2022-01-18, 19:06   #1615
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

CEF16 Posts

Still setting new record number of cases in Denmark 33,493 cases today (5709 per million people), the same rate would be 1.9M in the US.
The good thing is hospitalizations is NOT going upward at the same rate, though we are getting near the record during the pandemic, but not that many in intensive care.

Edit: I meant of course that hospitalizations is NOT going up as fast as the number of cases, fortunately.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2022-01-19 at 01:37
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 19:46   #1616
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

5×2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
The good thing is hospitalizations is going upward the same way, though we are getting near the record during the pandemic, but not that many in intensive care.
In some weird way, we should be thankful that Omicron manifested as early as it did. Killing the host doesn't scale; evolution in action.

Of course, thinking one is young enough to be immortal has also been empirically demonstrated to be a sub-optimal survival strategy in most cases.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-19, 01:47   #1617
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

331110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
In some weird way, we should be thankful that Omicron manifested as early as it did. Killing the host doesn't scale; evolution in action.

Of course, thinking one is young enough to be immortal has also been empirically demonstrated to be a sub-optimal survival strategy in most cases.
I missed an important "NOT" in my comment, hospitalizations are NOT going up as fast as cases, though they are going up.

Yes, it seems like that Omicron in general is a "lucky" mutation, though not lucky for the people that happens to get very sick from the Omicron variant.

Here a UK youtuber explaining a paper that suggests that Covid might have spread to mice and mutated to Omicron and then spread back to humans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1u1GIPU2A
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote