mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-11-05, 00:01   #1
tServo
 
tServo's Avatar
 
"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11078 Posts
Default Prime95 29.4 PRP oddity noted

I noticed something odd when doing a PRP of an exponent 87,xxx,xxx with the latest version of Prime95 ( 29.4 ).
It starts going predictably and chugs along saying the ETA is 3 days 6 hours or so then suddenly the ETA jumps to a huge number like 70 days and change.
This happens after 4 hours to 12 hours or so ( I ran a few tests ). However, the ms/iter does not change but stays in the same ballpark it has been.
My thought is that it got errors and started using a bigger FFT size but it seems the ms/iter would have changed.

My machine:
Processor is i7-6950x 10 core slightly overclocked.
I use 1 worker giving it 8 cores.
Nothing else is going on in the machine.
Windoze 10.
The processor supports 4 channel memory and the machine has 4 channel 2400, 32GB memory.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 02:21   #2
irowiki
 
Sep 2018

3·23 Posts
Default

If you just let it run does it finish in the 3 days?
irowiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 05:19   #3
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

3·5·17·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
I noticed something odd when doing a PRP of an exponent 87,xxx,xxx with the latest version of Prime95 ( 29.4 ).
It starts going predictably and chugs along saying the ETA is 3 days 6 hours or so then suddenly the ETA jumps to a huge number like 70 days and change.
This happens after 4 hours to 12 hours or so ( I ran a few tests ). However, the ms/iter does not change but stays in the same ballpark it has been.
My thought is that it got errors and started using a bigger FFT size but it seems the ms/iter would have changed.

My machine:
Processor is i7-6950x 10 core slightly overclocked.
I use 1 worker giving it 8 cores.
Nothing else is going on in the machine.
Windoze 10.
The processor supports 4 channel memory and the machine has 4 channel 2400, 32GB memory.
Check the results file. Are there Gerbicz check errors? If so it will back up perhaps a large number of iterations and recalculate. The time per iteration does not change, but the rate of progress per calendar day is recalculated.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 11:07   #4
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,897 Posts
Default

Could it be during the Gerbicz error checks?
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-05, 17:14   #5
tServo
 
tServo's Avatar
 
"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11·53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irowiki View Post
If you just let it run does it finish in the 3 days?
Good idea.I shall let it run to the 3.5 days mark.

Also, I checked the results file and nothing there to indicate a problem.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-06, 03:25   #6
irowiki
 
Sep 2018

3·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Good idea.I shall let it run to the 3.5 days mark.

Also, I checked the results file and nothing there to indicate a problem.

My FX-8350 after a while goes to "infinite" time remaining but still finishes "on time".
irowiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-07, 22:30   #7
tServo
 
tServo's Avatar
 
"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11·53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irowiki View Post
My FX-8350 after a while goes to "infinite" time remaining but still finishes "on time".
Thanks.
The more I think about, it looks like it just be a trivial fault in computing time to go,
just like you experience.
Anyway, I'll know soon enough as its running now.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 04:12   #8
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

484510 Posts
Default

What are the power settings on the system?
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 01:47   #9
tServo
 
tServo's Avatar
 
"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11×53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
What are the power settings on the system?
Power settings are:

Turn off display after 15 minutes

Turn off system: never

Power setting: High performance


The PRP test finished in the very first eta timne as irowiki suggested,
so the eta computation goes wonky at some point.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 03:56   #10
irowiki
 
Sep 2018

3·23 Posts
Default

This is what mine does on LL tests, for fun:

Quote:
[Sep 24 23:22] Iteration: 84060000 / 86542459 [97.13%], ms/iter: -1.#QO, ETA: -2147483648:-2147483648:-2147483648
irowiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-26, 16:27   #11
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

23×599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Power settings are:

Turn off display after 15 minutes

Turn off system: never

Power setting: High performance


The PRP test finished in the very first eta timne as irowiki suggested,
so the eta computation goes wonky at some point.
Could it be something related to the way Windoze configures time? I mean a call to a ntp server gone awry, a bad battery backup, a failing EPROM to maintain the time of day...
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug/oddity reports fivemack NFS@Home 1 2015-01-30 11:34
Another server(?) oddity Graff PrimeNet 2 2010-01-25 17:00
Smaller filtering run oddity 10metreh Msieve 17 2009-01-05 14:58
Self-test oddity JuanTutors Software 1 2007-03-16 12:33
Primenet Server Oddity xavion PrimeNet 28 2004-09-26 07:56

All times are UTC. The time now is 23:51.

Wed Jan 20 23:51:21 UTC 2021 up 48 days, 20:02, 0 users, load averages: 2.25, 1.73, 1.67

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.