mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-06-14, 14:10   #12
pinhodecarlos
 
pinhodecarlos's Avatar
 
"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

4,517 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
My personal view is that non-UK/Eire citizens with permanent employment will be given the right to stay for at least several years, in much the same way that non-EU citizens working in the UK already have visas giving them that right.

However, what do I know? Almost anything could happen but I doubt very much that the UKL government would want to expel productive members of society without particularly good reason.

Tell me, were you expelled from Brazil, or did you choose to leave? I think that your future position may be similar but, in my lack of knowledge of what your previous experience may have been, I really can't tell.
We've chosen to leave. First because we were not treated well at university whilst we were doing the PhD and second it was already being felt the Brazil crisis.

We are treated fair here in UK, no issues.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 07:58   #13
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
May 2003
Down not across

3·52·131 Posts
Default

(Possibly) interesting commentary on the German view of Brexit. In English because that is the language read by most everyone here. Ernst et al. will doubtless have no problems finding and reading the source material.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 02:44   #14
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2×32×5×112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
(Possibly) interesting commentary on the German view of Brexit. In English because that is the language read by most everyone here. Ernst et al. will doubtless have no problems finding and reading the source material.
Can't seem to get terribly interested in what the Germans pols and media pundits fret about these days ... I just read the "out is out" line and pictured Sgt. Schultz in Hogan's Heroes exhorting the Stalag 13 prisoners to clear their barracks for roll call by standing inside the door and yelling "Raus! Raus!"

And as I'm sure has been dominating the UK news today, we have a pro-Remain Labour MP murdered by what appears to be a nativist nutter ... a conspiracy theorist might be inclined to think along lines of "and which of the 2 sides is likely to be hurt by this?", but unambiguously a tragedy. One of the commenters to the aforelinked NC piece notes:
Quote:

I appreciate that, and of course it can’t be ruled out that the campaign pushed someone clinging on to rationality over the edge into some sort of delusional anger. But I would have thought we’d have heard by now if he had any political links or connections, it seems most likely that he doesn’t. Although he could of course be a case of a deluded lone wolf who was radicalised (or even deliberately manipulated by others) online.

I must admit that my first thought when I heard about it was that it is the sort of thing that can happen when a clueless politician unintentionally winds up a local nutcase – this is particularly common in the UK where many politicians are parachuted in to safe constituencies and really have little to know idea what goes on locally. Its a common source of despair to Labour activists as to how disconnected many of their MP’s are from their regular constituents. Jo Cox was a local (although I suspect her time down south meant that she wasn’t considered particularly so by many of her constituents), but she was, although very much on the right wing of the party, very outspoken in favour of immigration, so that might have been a trigger for her attacker.

Anyway, presumably we’ll find out over the next few days. I suspect though that it might be seen (quietly) as good news for the Remain campaign.
Any Brits care to weigh in on that angle?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 09:13   #15
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
May 2003
Down not across

266116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
And as I'm sure has been dominating the UK news today, we have a pro-Remain Labour MP murdered by what appears to be a nativist nutter ... a conspiracy theorist might be inclined to think along lines of "and which of the 2 sides is likely to be hurt by this?", but unambiguously a tragedy. One of the commenters to the aforelinked NC piece notes:

Any Brits care to weigh in on that angle?
I've not yet learned anything of sufficient reliability to comment with any authority at all. Until I learn more I'll follow the lone nut-case
theory and keep an open mind as to what the supposed justification may be.

The incident might make a difference to the referendum result (it's already had an effect on the process) but I doubt very much that the difference will be significant and have no idea which side it will aid if either.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 09:28   #16
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

2·3·941 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
My personal view is that non-UK/Eire citizens with permanent employment will be given the right to stay for at least several years, in much the same way that non-EU citizens working in the UK already have visas giving them that right.

However, what do I know? Almost anything could happen but I doubt very much that the UKL government would want to expel productive members of society without particularly good reason.

Tell me, were you expelled from Brazil, or did you choose to leave? I think that your future position may be similar but, in my lack of knowledge of what your previous experience may have been, I really can't tell.
I would imagine those with jobs would be safe. Getting further jobs could be an issue potentially. Of course it may suit some who have been living in the country a number of years to naturalize.
There will hopefully be rules that suit the majority. There will be people who slip through the cracks and get disadvantaged.

Last fiddled with by henryzz on 2016-06-17 at 09:29
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 09:43   #17
pinhodecarlos
 
pinhodecarlos's Avatar
 
"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

4,517 Posts
Default

One of the doutbs I have is with regards to my economies. Should I transfer my money to a foreign bank account?
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 10:22   #18
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
May 2003
Down not across

3×52×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
One of the doutbs I have is with regards to my economies. Should I transfer my money to a foreign bank account?
I don't know but I would advise against it, unless you really want the immense hassle of dealing with multiple bank accounts in several countries.

I'm guessing that you are concerned that the GBP will fall markedly against the EUR. It may do; it may not. Given all the problems facing the Eurozone PIGS, Greece especially, it is quite possible that the EUR will fall badly against the USD, CHF and JPY. LaurV, that well-known currency speculator, may have better advice.

I'm certainly not going to open EUR, USD or CHF denominated bank accounts. My other investments have adequate exposure to world markets through corporate stocks and bonds and government debt.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 10:34   #19
pinhodecarlos
 
pinhodecarlos's Avatar
 
"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

4,517 Posts
Default

Yes, my concern is the GBP going down against Euro although yesterday was watching a Portuguese program where they were saying the drop, if UK decides to leave Europe, would be around 12-16% against Euro. Also they were saying 65% of UK citizens were against leaving Europe but from BBC news 54% were in favor of leaving Europe. Think it's gonna be very close.

From my understanding, and despite of the outcome of this referendum, it will shake Europe mainly the Brussels bureaucracy and rules.

Carlos
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 11:58   #20
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
May 2003
Down not across

231418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Yes, my concern is the GBP going down against Euro although yesterday was watching a Portuguese program where they were saying the drop, if UK decides to leave Europe, would be around 12-16% against Euro. Also they were saying 65% of UK citizens were against leaving Europe but from BBC news 54% were in favor of leaving Europe. Think it's gonna be very close.

From my understanding, and despite of the outcome of this referendum, it will shake Europe mainly the Brussels bureaucracy and rules.

Carlos
Since I've been using EUR on trips out of the UK, the GPB has varied between < EUR 1.15 to > EUR 1.40. Never worried me too much.

I agree with your estimation of the chances of a Brexit. Quite probably the worst possible result would be 52-48% vote in either direction.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 12:08   #21
Nick
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
The Netherlands

25008 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I don't know but I would advise against it, unless you really want the immense hassle of dealing with multiple bank accounts in several countries.
Within the EU, that is much less hassle than it used to be, thanks to pressure from Brussels on the banks to reduce/abolish fees and the introduction of the IBAN.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 12:55   #22
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
May 2003
Down not across

100110011000012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Within the EU, that is much less hassle than it used to be, thanks to pressure from Brussels on the banks to reduce/abolish fees and the introduction of the IBAN.
Indeed, and I used the IBAN mechanism to pay the rental on the villa where I am now staying in La Palma. Nonetheless I had to pay a GBP 20 fee for the privilege. The owner couldn't (or wouldn't) take credit card payments and I didn't fancy the idea of wandering around with > EUR 1000 in cash.

The invention of PayPal and the near universal acceptance of credit cards are much more convenient for international commerce IMO.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are UTC. The time now is 21:39.

Sun Mar 29 21:39:44 UTC 2020 up 4 days, 19:12, 2 users, load averages: 1.28, 1.48, 1.50

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.