mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2010-01-29, 14:45   #45
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·7·401 Posts

I think that it would make sense to create a separate tool for archiving instead of putting the code into the server. IMO, this is an opportunity for other developers out there to "get their feet wet" if they would like to build such a tool for NPLB, which I could then integrate into PRPNet. The tool would not need to be C++, it could be a simple as a few SQL statements (or an SQL script) or it could be a scripting language such as ruby, lua, perl, or php.

I'm promoting this for a few reasons. First, I'm fairly busy with other bug fixes and enhancements to PRPNet and PFGW. Second, this isn't high priority (IMO). Third, input from other developers would be helpful WRT the growth of PRPNet. Fourth, NPLB probably has requirements that are fairly unique (and undoubtably complex) compared to PrimeGrid and those of us who run PRPNet servers at home. Fifth, having another developer to assist with support and debugging would be helpful. Sixth, this could take a long time to develop and fully test.

It's great to have so many people willing to test, but none of you (to my knowledge) fully comprehend the inner workings of the software. Few of you know C++ and even fewer of you are familiar with the tools needed for compiling and debugging. As many of you have seen, I get stumped on occasion with discovering the source of some of the bugs you've uncovered and another pair of experienced eyes could be very helpful.

Thoughts?

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2010-01-29 at 14:56
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 17:28   #46
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I think that it would make sense to create a separate tool for archiving instead of putting the code into the server. IMO, this is an opportunity for other developers out there to "get their feet wet" if they would like to build such a tool for NPLB, which I could then integrate into PRPNet. The tool would not need to be C++, it could be a simple as a few SQL statements (or an SQL script) or it could be a scripting language such as ruby, lua, perl, or php.

I'm promoting this for a few reasons. First, I'm fairly busy with other bug fixes and enhancements to PRPNet and PFGW. Second, this isn't high priority (IMO). Third, input from other developers would be helpful WRT the growth of PRPNet. Fourth, NPLB probably has requirements that are fairly unique (and undoubtably complex) compared to PrimeGrid and those of us who run PRPNet servers at home. Fifth, having another developer to assist with support and debugging would be helpful. Sixth, this could take a long time to develop and fully test.

It's great to have so many people willing to test, but none of you (to my knowledge) fully comprehend the inner workings of the software. Few of you know C++ and even fewer of you are familiar with the tools needed for compiling and debugging. As many of you have seen, I get stumped on occasion with discovering the source of some of the bugs you've uncovered and another pair of experienced eyes could be very helpful.

Thoughts?
Hmm...I could probably do this. I believe I've already got a pretty good system figured out for removing candidates from the server according to certain parameters via plan-old manually executed MySQL statements; it shouldn't be too much harder to wrap them into a Perl script or something like that.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote