Old 2009-12-13, 14:49   #89
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max, let me know if you see any potential issues now. My time will be pressed on Monday. I hadn't planned it that way. It was just the quickest they could get me in and I didn't want to wait another week.

Obviously my IP address will change. Let me know if and how that affects the no-IP and remote access stuff on my machines.
I don't foresee any problems cropping up. Since the server won't actually be shut down, the servers should be all ready to go when your internet comes back online. Even if you do need to shut it down, though, for whatever reason (I don't think this will be the case), you know how to restart the servers.

As for the IP, I doubt we'll have any issues there either. The worst that could happen is that a client or two might not be able to reach the server for a couple hours until it decides to update its DNS cache, but there's not really anything we can do about that.

I'll send you a couple final instructions via PM regarding upgrading to the static IP. Stay tuned.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2009-12-13 at 14:54
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 06:33   #90
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

3×5×673 Posts

Max,

Should we show the port 2000 doublecheck effort on the green web page?

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 06:34   #91
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Max,

Should we show the port 2000 doublecheck effort on the green web page?

Gary
Good idea. I'll do that now.
Old 2009-12-14, 06:41   #92
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Good idea. I'll do that now.
Okay, all set. BTW, since I needed to enter something in the description field for the server, I decided to designate this effort "Doublecheck Drive #2", which it's essentially been all this while in everything but name. It seemed a bit more substantive than just calling it "k=300-400 doublecheck".
Old 2009-12-14, 17:35   #93
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

276F16 Posts

The cable/internet guy is here now to set up the commercial (fixed IP) acct. There will likely be some small downtime on the GB servers.

When done, there will be no more IP address changes.
Old 2009-12-14, 18:19   #94
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

3·5·673 Posts

The fixed IP is now all set up. I had to shut down the servers for only ~20-30 mins. while the guy was here but they are now running again.

Max, everything seems to be working like clockwork. All machines have internet access and I'm able to remotely connect to all of the machines that I could before.

It's nice to have something technical go off without a hitch.

Everyone, you might check your clients connected to the GB servers. They should have fairly quickly reconnected after I restarted the servers.

...fast internet! Weeeeeee!

Gary
Old 2009-12-15, 00:07   #95
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
The fixed IP is now all set up. I had to shut down the servers for only ~20-30 mins. while the guy was here but they are now running again.

Max, everything seems to be working like clockwork. All machines have internet access and I'm able to remotely connect to all of the machines that I could before.

It's nice to have something technical go off without a hitch.

Everyone, you might check your clients connected to the GB servers. They should have fairly quickly reconnected after I restarted the servers.

...fast internet! Weeeeeee!

Gary
Cool! I'm greatly relieved to hear all went without a hitch.

There's only one problem: you've still got a dynamic IP. I just checked your router and it's still on dynamic mode. Note that this isn't a problem on your ISP's end, just that you forgot to perform the instructions I sent you on properly configuring your router.

No problem, though--it looks now like I'll be able to do that part. It seems that even though you've been given a static IP, you're still allowed to use a dynamic one if you really want to, which is what your router is doing right now since it's still configured as before. This is actually a good thing, and I was hoping this would be the case, since it means that your existing configuration would work fine on the new connection at least until I could get in and do the geek stuff myself. I didn't know until now that this would be the case, though, hence my PM with instructions for that part of the setup.

Gary, I'm assuming that the cable guys gave you a piece of paper or something with the following information on it:
  • IP address
  • Subnet mask
  • Gateway
  • Primary and secondary DNS servers
Could you send me all the above info? That way I can configure your router to use the real static IP, so we'll truly not have any more IP changes ever again.

BTW, is the new connection faster than the old one? I'm guessing so given your remark at the end of your last post. That will definitely be a boon for the Aliquot Sequences project once we get the FTP server set back up for them on the new server. (For the uninitiated, they transfer lots of large files as part of their group factorization efforts and we used to host an FTP server for them before we shut it down in preparation for our upcoming move to the new server.) And, of course, you'll have a faster internet connection on your end too.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2009-12-15 at 00:11
Old 2009-12-15, 03:55   #96
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

235578 Posts

I'm stuck in Denver right now on the way to Las Vegas waiting on a long delayed flight.

Sorry. I thought the instructions were meant for if my router (modem?)wasn't properly connecting. Since it was connecting great, I didn't think they were necessary.

They gave me a couple of pieces of paper but I don't think they had much detailed info. on them. I was looking for an IP address and didn't see one.

One thing that might help: When I remotely connected from my laptop, it said that so-and-so IP address was added to its list of valid IP addresses. Is there a way for you to view the list of valid ones by remote access? Of course the fixed IP would be the last one that it just recently added.

Perhaps the fixed IP will have to wait a week.

One interesting note: I also went by residential Time Warner and had them remove my residential internet. I had checked that everything worked both before and after I went there. But now I wonder if they hadn't removed the residential side when I checked and hence everything appeared to be working even though I didn't do the setup stuff you sent. And even further: I'm now wondering if things will stop working when they remove my residential internet account. Ugh.

Gary
Old 2009-12-15, 16:10   #97
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
I'm stuck in Denver right now on the way to Las Vegas waiting on a long delayed flight.

Sorry. I thought the instructions were meant for if my router (modem?)wasn't properly connecting. Since it was connecting great, I didn't think they were necessary.

They gave me a couple of pieces of paper but I don't think they had much detailed info. on them. I was looking for an IP address and didn't see one.

One thing that might help: When I remotely connected from my laptop, it said that so-and-so IP address was added to its list of valid IP addresses. Is there a way for you to view the list of valid ones by remote access? Of course the fixed IP would be the last one that it just recently added.

Perhaps the fixed IP will have to wait a week.

One interesting note: I also went by residential Time Warner and had them remove my residential internet. I had checked that everything worked both before and after I went there. But now I wonder if they hadn't removed the residential side when I checked and hence everything appeared to be working even though I didn't do the setup stuff you sent. And even further: I'm now wondering if things will stop working when they remove my residential internet account. Ugh.

Gary
Okay, I verified that the IP address you have now is on RoadRunner's business network, so yes, that's working properly. It's still dynamic, but it's on the commercial account nonetheless.

No need to worry about it for now; a dynamic IP should be able to last out the week without changing. Once you get home you can look at the various documentation they gave you and see if your IP's on there. If you can't find an IP on any of the literature they provided, call them. This type of service is supposed to have a fixed IP, so they should be able to at least tell you what yours is (otherwise it's no use).
Old 2009-12-15, 21:30   #98
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111011011112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Okay, I verified that the IP address you have now is on RoadRunner's business network, so yes, that's working properly. It's still dynamic, but it's on the commercial account nonetheless.

No need to worry about it for now; a dynamic IP should be able to last out the week without changing. Once you get home you can look at the various documentation they gave you and see if your IP's on there. If you can't find an IP on any of the literature they provided, call them. This type of service is supposed to have a fixed IP, so they should be able to at least tell you what yours is (otherwise it's no use).
Well, I will say one thing. I'm sure learning a heck of a lot from this experience. Thanks for all the info. Yes, I'll look for the IP when I get back.

So if the dynamic IP address changes within the next week, will that create a problem? I'm assuming not since it hasn't created a problem in the past other than the occassional times that Ian has had to do some command to "clear out" the old IP and/or unconnect/reconnect his machines.

Gary
Old 2009-12-15, 23:45   #99
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
So if the dynamic IP address changes within the next week, will that create a problem? I'm assuming not since it hasn't created a problem in the past other than the occassional times that Ian has had to do some command to "clear out" the old IP and/or unconnect/reconnect his machines.
No, it shouldn't be any more of an issue than the usual run-of-the-mill IP change.