Old 2009-04-19, 18:01   #13
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
Anyone willing to develop the front page? I'm not a web designer.
Neither am I...I'd be willing to possibly write some of the content for the pages, but the actual design probably wouldn't even come close to what we've already got set up for our stats site.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 19:17   #14
gamer007

Mar 2009

2·3·31 Posts

I can' probably help write content too.

Would love to help with the webpage, but I've only understand basic of web design and CSS, nothing complex.
gamer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 19:56   #15
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
1) A real fully registered Domain Name (NPLB.org/.net NoPrimeLeftBehind.org/.net perhaps) https://www.easydns.com $25 per year
GoDaddy is $10 per year for .com or $15 for .org. It's not all that great, but it's definitely acceptable if we aren't planning on doing anything fancy. (e.g. I noticed EasyDNS supports dynamic IPs for the server, so if we were planning on using that, we should probably use EasyDNS.)
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 22:44   #16
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5·1,009 Posts

No BOINC please.

Edit: Stickied this thread and unstruck the rally thread.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-04-19 at 22:47
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 22:54   #17
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·5·1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCZ View Post
Razor FX is obviously going to join us

Looks like we are up 545K already.

Is Razor FX a team or person?
Old 2009-04-19, 23:09   #18
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

235528 Posts

I had a concern expressed to me by PM that is a good one. One thing that I strongly want to avoid is a "BOINC-like" presence of teams/crunchers where all that they are after is points. Of course they can be competitive about getting points like most people here in rallies and the project is on the top-5000 site. After all, everyone has their own reason for participating in DC. But I would like them to know what it is we're doing and sometimes show their head in our threads here other than to post primes. It's also important that they know they should have stable machines.

In other words, I don't want a "quasi BOINC" situation where it becomes a zoo of 100's of sporadic searchers, which subsequently drives off several of our regular searchers. If we have that, then our regulars end up getting stuck sieving for all of the sporadic folks who care little about the project, kind of like a BOINC setup.

I don't want to limit the project by any means but do want it to keep its somewhat "small town" feel with some of the benefits of a nearby "big city".

Does anyone share that concern?

If I had to set a very general long-term goal for the project, it would be this: To be THE top non-BOINC prime search project on the web! The BOINC projects will always dominate and that is fine. To me, BOINC is meant for huge efforts like GIMPS, SOB, PrimeGrid, and the former RieselSieve project as well as big advances in generalized math, science, and medicine that can literally take decades or centuries to solve. I would also like to take some of the CRUS bases to the BOINC arena at some point because like SOB and RieselSieve, they are so huge that they can't be done by just math-interested crunchers. They need to be opened up to the entire world to solve. BOINC is an excellent idea for such monsterous CPU-intensive projects where just one test can take many days. For many of us computer and math nerds, that can be just a little too boring to participate in for extended periods. At least for this nerd anyway. :-)

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-04-19 at 23:16
Old 2009-04-19, 23:30   #19
PCZ

Jun 2006
Chertsey Surrey UK

2×179 Posts

If this project were to go boinc then i would not participate.
i like the way it operates now.

Probably will go lone wolf on my own K's if this project does go boinc.
PCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 23:44   #20
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts

I like things the way they are.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 23:50   #21
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

45916 Posts

I thought we already decided?
Boinc is not going to happen on this project.
Way too much to go through...

Looking for a good front page for the website, which will have a great introduction to NPLB (with logo) and the links to the various items of importance.

Last fiddled with by IronBits on 2009-04-19 at 23:51
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 23:58   #22
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5×67 Posts

- You could have a BOINC sub-project for sieving. This would be a replacement for the former BOINC Rieselsieve project.
- I agree with the posts by IronBits. LLR is not newbie friendly - I mean there are lots of projects that use it and this is confusing at first. I know you have to change the server and port to point to the project you want to participate in, be that NPLB or PSP or whatever.
- BOINC attracts many "visitors" but not many "stayers" unless you get to enjoy the ambience of the project. If the forum is friendly, the admin and mods are responsive, if the stats are fair (oxymoron with BOINC I realise as it discriminates between Windows and Linux users) then people will stay.
- If you want the project to stay basically as it is you can continue on the current path. The key to attracting stayers with the existing setup is the chase for Primes. Gary's posts about the statistics or odds of finding a Prime were very interesting to read. AMDave's work on the stats pages for the k/n pairs done and the Project Status coloured graph are also the type of thing that is attractive. It gives the volunteers something to check, to see the project's and their own progress.
- On a different level there is the comparative position of this project vis a vis the other Prime hunting projects.
- Maybe some info on what makes some k/n pairs take longer to crunch compared to other k/n pairs would be useful.
- Maybe some advice on which processors are suited to the project might help, or the corollary - which processors struggle.
- Gary you mentioned that the contributor's computer(s) need to be stable. If you can explain this further and maybe give links to how a user can check this for their machine, that would be helpful.

That's my 2c.
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote