mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-26, 23:54   #1
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

13310 Posts
Default Continuity of Primes

With all of the various ways to generate primes (Riesel, Proth, Mersenne etc) there seems to be quite a few "gaps" that must occur in the "plain old" primes that can't be expressed with an elegant, concise formula that lends itself to fast primality proving.

Is there any such list of "known continuous primes" where all the primes < P have been identified?

That would be the real "No Primes Left Behind" effort I would think.
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 01:53   #2
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

http://primes.utm.edu/notes/faq/LongestList.html
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 07:17   #3
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

564610 Posts
Default

Primegrid had a subproject that found contiuous primes. They ended up with with many dvds of data.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 11:12   #4
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

2×13×107 Posts
Default

Here you can find the first 1012 primes up to 3*1013:
http://primes.utm.edu/nthprime/
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 23:19   #5
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

7×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
So I guess that means when we "discover" primes of the various forms, they are much larger than the primes that are known to exist in continuity, and therefore they are "real discoveries," in a manner of speaking.

If that is true, each prime is probably a unique find.

Correct?
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 15:07   #6
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

116910 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
So I guess that means when we "discover" primes of the various forms, they are much larger than the primes that are known to exist in continuity, and therefore they are "real discoveries," in a manner of speaking.
According to the article: "At the time I last updated this page, these projects had found (but not stored) all the prime up to 10^18, but not yet to 10^19."

If you expended 100 times as much effort, you might get up to 10^21. If you devoted the entire world's computer resources to the project, you could probably push it well past 10^30.

You'd never, ever, reach this 100 digit prime:

3664461208681099176204078925954510073897620111029087350504719136242910190767917650858670935504633223

Quote:
If that is true, each prime is probably a unique find.
I don't know what you mean by "unique" in this context. Here's the next one:

3664461208681099176204078925954510073897620111029087350504719136242910190767917650858670935504633509

Both took a fraction of a second to generate on my computer. Neither, in all probability, has ever been "discovered" before.

The primes that are considered "discoveries" are the ones that take significant resources to find

I suggest you read this primer on primality testing. You'll have a much better understanding of what you see in this forum.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 03:20   #7
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

13310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
If you expended 100 times as much effort, you might get up to 10^21. If you devoted the entire world's computer resources to the project, you could probably push it well past 10^30.

You'd never, ever, reach this 100 digit prime:
That makes the point crystal clear. I haven't seen any online resources offering such a concise explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
I don't know what you mean by "unique" in this context.
The first answer you gave answers this one. With such a huge gap in the prime record, there is no way any of the primes we generate here are a part of that continuous list. I thought maybe there were people somewhere who would test the neighborhood of announced primes for primality as well, perhaps "finding" some that might have been shown later.

Now I see that was a stupid assumption!

So each prime that is found is, essentially, a new find. I'd call that a discovery. The large primes you mentioned I would call a "monumental undertaking" as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
I suggest you read this primer on primality testing. You'll have a much better understanding of what you see in this forum.
Primer on primes. Nice!
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 04:38   #8
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

7×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
I did find one typo on http://primes.utm.edu/prove/prove1.html

In 2002 a long standing question was answered: can integers be prove prime

I think this should be changed to the word proven there.

And now I actually know how to do the Lucas-Lehmer test, although those s(k) numbers grow too big for Excel after s(4). At least Excel can prove 2^5 - 1 is prime using Lucas-Lehmer

Last fiddled with by LiquidNitrogen on 2011-08-03 at 04:38
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 14:49   #9
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

2×32×52×13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
And now I actually know how to do the Lucas-Lehmer test, although those s(k) numbers grow too big for Excel after s(4). At least Excel can prove 2^5 - 1 is prime using Lucas-Lehmer
If you reduce mod the Mersenne number at each step, you can prove 2^19 - 1 prime in Excel.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 15:11   #10
LiquidNitrogen
 
LiquidNitrogen's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Henlopen Acres, Delaware

7×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
If you reduce mod the Mersenne number at each step, you can prove 2^19 - 1 prime in Excel.
I'm not sure I follow. Here is what I did.

1. Proving p = 2^n - 1 is prime for n = 5, p = 31.
2. S(0) = 4 {defined}
3. Need to generate up to S(n-2) where S(x+1) = [S(x) * S(x)] - 2

3a. S(1) = 4^2 - 2 = 14
3b. S(2) = 14^2 - 2 = 194
3c. S(3) = 194^2 - 2 = 37634

4. Test S(n-2)/p = S(3)/p = 37634/31. If remainder is 0, p is prime.

37634/31 = 1214.0 so p is prime.

What would this involve doing it the way you mentioned?

Last fiddled with by LiquidNitrogen on 2011-08-03 at 15:18
LiquidNitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 15:24   #11
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×3×883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
I'm not sure I follow. Here is what I did.

1. Proving p = 2^n - 1 is prime for n = 5, p = 31.
2. S(0) = 4 {defined}
3. Need to generate up to S(n-2) where S(x+1) = [S(x) * S(x)] - 2

3a. S(1) = 4^2 - 2 = 14
3b. S(2) = 14^2 - 2 = 194
3c. S(3) = 194^2 - 2 = 37634

4. Test S(n-2)/p = S(3)/p = 37634/31. If remainder is 0, p is prime.

37634/31 = 1214.0 so p is prime.

What would this involve doing it the way you mentioned?
3. Need to generate up to S(n-2) where S(x+1) = {[S(x) * S(x)] - 2} mod p
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mersenne Primes p which are in a set of twin primes is finite? carpetpool Miscellaneous Math 3 2017-08-10 13:47
Distribution of Mersenne primes before and after couples of primes found emily Math 34 2017-07-16 18:44
Conjecture about Mersenne primes and non-primes v2 Mickey1 Miscellaneous Math 1 2013-05-30 12:32
Pseudometric spaces and Lipschitz continuity hallstei Homework Help 4 2011-03-05 09:54
possible primes (real primes & poss.prime products) troels munkner Miscellaneous Math 4 2006-06-02 08:35

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:27.

Sat Mar 28 18:27:50 UTC 2020 up 3 days, 16 hrs, 2 users, load averages: 1.49, 1.61, 1.51

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.