Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10AB16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Okay, cool! Thanks!

In other news: I ended up being able to install Windows Vista on the new quad today, so now that's all set. I've got the computer on and crunching right now on C443 as mentioned before--now all I've got to do is figure out how to get LLRnet to start at bootup. I tried using a scheduled task, but it kept refusing to work--I think it has something to do with the fact that all the usernames on the machine contain spaces in their names. (You'd think that with spaces being "allowed" in usernames, they'd have the whole system be cool with that, across the board--but no, there's still a couple holdout things, like Task Scheduler, that don't like it!) I would just run LLRnet as a service, except that due to a known bug in LLRnet when running on Vista, all the entries on the pop-up menu that you get when you right-click on the system tray icon, are blank. The menu choices still "work", technically--if you click on one it will still do what it's supposed to do. However, that's a little hard since I don't have the order of the menu choices memorized! Maybe someone who uses the Windows LLRnet client on a more regular basis could refresh me on the order that the menu choices are in? Thanks.

Anon
I start LLR (and LLRnet during rallies) from my Startup folder. Just put shortcuts to your programs there. BTW there's an easy way to make a shortcut to a program in Windows (I don't know about Linux or Vista for sure): drag the program using right click somewhere, then release and say "Create shortcuts here".

Gary's right about the second from the top being what you'll probably want to use 99% of the time, but here's the full list anyway as it appears normally:

Exit LLRnet
New GUI window
Open a console
Add LLRnet as a service
Hide tray icon

Replace "LLRnet" with what you defined as the serviceName in the config file (default LLRnet). Replace "Open a console" with "Detach console" after you've opened it. Replace "Add LLRnet as a service" with "Remove LLRnet as a service" if you've added it.
Old 2008-09-06, 13:22   #35
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I start LLR (and LLRnet during rallies) from my Startup folder. Just put shortcuts to your programs there. BTW there's an easy way to make a shortcut to a program in Windows (I don't know about Linux or Vista for sure): drag the program using right click somewhere, then release and say "Create shortcuts here".

Gary's right about the second from the top being what you'll probably want to use 99% of the time, but here's the full list anyway as it appears normally:

Exit LLRnet
New GUI window
Open a console
Add LLRnet as a service
Hide tray icon

Replace "LLRnet" with what you defined as the serviceName in the config file (default LLRnet). Replace "Open a console" with "Detach console" after you've opened it. Replace "Add LLRnet as a service" with "Remove LLRnet as a service" if you've added it.
Okay, thanks! I only saw four menu items myself, but I guess that might be because it's not running as administrator and thus the service option isn't shown--I'll try running it as administrator and see how it works.
Old 2008-09-06, 15:30   #36
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

45916 Posts

In Windows, right click the program, send to, Desktop as shortcut.
If you want it to start every time you reboot, click on the ICON and drag the icon down to the start button, hang on to it, don't let go of it, wait for Programs, drag to that spot, wait, don't let go of it yet, wait for Startup to show, drag it to Startup, then let go of it.
Old 2008-09-07, 01:11   #37
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
In Windows, right click the program, send to, Desktop as shortcut.
If you want it to start every time you reboot, click on the ICON and drag the icon down to the start button, hang on to it, don't let go of it, wait for Programs, drag to that spot, wait, don't let go of it yet, wait for Startup to show, drag it to Startup, then let go of it.
Yeah, I had considered that--however, since there are multiple usernames on the system, each of which may or may not be logged on at any given time, I kinda want it to run independent of who's logged on, so hence I need to either use a service, or set a scheduled task to run at startup, and check the box for "run even when this user is not logged on" (though that didn't work as I mentioned earlier).

Oh, and I did get to try setting it up as a service earlier today--but I found that even though I had set the service identifiers in the respective llr-clientconfig.txt's to differing values, and set each instance as a service individually, only the first one would ever even try to make itself a service. Is there some special "trick" to this that I missed? (I know that the Riesel Sieve forum used to have all sorts of handy hints on various LLRnet configurations, but their whole project is in a sort of long-term downtime right now.)
Old 2008-09-07, 02:30   #38
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10AB16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Yeah, I had considered that--however, since there are multiple usernames on the system, each of which may or may not be logged on at any given time, I kinda want it to run independent of who's logged on, so hence I need to either use a service, or set a scheduled task to run at startup, and check the box for "run even when this user is not logged on" (though that didn't work as I mentioned earlier).

Oh, and I did get to try setting it up as a service earlier today--but I found that even though I had set the service identifiers in the respective llr-clientconfig.txt's to differing values, and set each instance as a service individually, only the first one would ever even try to make itself a service. Is there some special "trick" to this that I missed? (I know that the Riesel Sieve forum used to have all sorts of handy hints on various LLRnet configurations, but their whole project is in a sort of long-term downtime right now.)
If you put it in the Startup folder that's under All Users, it will run independent of whoever is logged in, but dependent on someone (anyone) being logged in.

As for the service, I don't know how to help you with that, I don't use the LLRnet service.
Old 2008-09-07, 07:57   #39
Cruelty

May 2005

22×13×31 Posts

Just follow this link: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showpos...32&postcount=2
Old 2008-09-07, 13:20   #40
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruelty View Post
Thanks! That looks like just what I need. I'll try it out later today (don't have the time this morning).

Anon
Old 2008-09-07, 19:05   #41
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Rally is over. Results from server C443 sent to Anon by email.
Old 2008-09-07, 20:22   #42
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×5×1,009 Posts

The rally was a definite success on such a short notice. A little low on primes but high on ranges crunched on all servers!

I want to make sure there's plenty of notice for the next one:
My current thinking is that we will have it in 3 weeks over the weekend of Sept. 26th-29th on our new k<300 drive. (Details about the new drive will be posted a couple of days before it starts; probably mid-week this week.)

Anon and I had talked about having it a week earlier over the weekend of Sept. 19th-22nd but the base 5 project is having an ongoing rally through Sept. 24th to attempt to find a prime there so I don't want to interfere with that too much. Anon, would you agree with that?

We'd like to make it a 72-hour rally. Carlos, you mentioned a week-long rally a long time ago. We're working our way up to that! We may just run one that long in the middle of the winter when everyone has all of their machines crunching at full power.

Any input about the upcoming rally is welcome.

Gary
Old 2008-09-07, 21:27   #43
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
Rally is over. Results from server C443 sent to Anon by email.
Okay, thanks! I'll process all the results from C443's completed ranges ASAP (probably sometime today). I'll try to do a CSV stats import for all the servers while I'm at it, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
The rally was a definite success on such a short notice. A little low on primes but high on ranges crunched on all servers!

I want to make sure there's plenty of notice for the next one:
My current thinking is that we will have it in 3 weeks over the weekend of Sept. 26th-29th on our new k<300 drive. (Details about the new drive will be posted a couple of days before it starts; probably mid-week this week.)
Gary, I just received word from Bruce that the sieving will probably be done later tomorrow. We should be able to start the drive on Tuesday.

Quote:
Anon and I had talked about having it a week earlier over the weekend of Sept. 19th-22nd but the base 5 project is having an ongoing rally through Sept. 24th to attempt to find a prime there so I don't want to interfere with that too much. Anon, would you agree with that?
Yes, definitely. Having multiple different projects run rallies at the same time is not good for either project--by forcing some users to be torn between how to split up their resources, the whole purpose of a rally, namely to concentrate resources intensely, is defeated. So, yes, the 26th-29th sounds good to me.

Anon
Old 2008-09-07, 21:41   #44
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

I think 72 hours or 1 week is a bit long for a rally, and might lose some people that don't want to delay their "main" prime-search work, whatever that may be. I'd probably still participate, but I'd prefer if it was 24 or 48 hours so it seems more like a special event for a short time and not be so common and long to where it seems...well...not special.
Closed Thread