Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2008-03-24, 21:44   #12
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
You have not seen any nplb primes or new request for reservations because nplb is on the back burner for a week to 10 days as I run llr test on the the backlog of sieved ranges I have been piling up on my own prime search while doing nplb.

My suggestion for a quad is build your own, much cheaper and built to your own needs rather than some one size fits all approach. 95% of my resources are at home, and all but one built from scratch. Infact bought the parts for another quad on Saturday, just need to find the time to put it together.
Thanks for the update and info. Beyond. Adam also suggested building my own. I think I'll have a friend build one for me.
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 22:19   #13
tnerual

Oct 2006

7×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I think I'll have a friend build one for me.
Don't forget to ask him to build it in front of you ...

the mecanical process is easy and fast ...

there is only 2 time consuming process:
- earning the money to buy the parts
- installing the OS (and installing the updates)
tnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 22:49   #14
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I'm thinking of picking up a quad in the next couple of months.
Gary
According to this link:
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Inte...dule/5510.html
there will be price drops next month.
The Q6700 will halve in price!
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 02:09   #15
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the update and info. Beyond. Adam also suggested building my own. I think I'll have a friend build one for me.
It's actually extremely easy to build a computer, even if you're not too terribly geeky. You might want to pick up a copy of Building a PC for Dummies--it breaks the whole process down into very simple steps that, well, even a dummy can do. Even for a more technically inclined person like myself, it's a great resource to have.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 07:49   #16
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

235458 Posts

Thanks all for the great info. about building a machine. Adam also sent me a good site to buy parts from. I think I will pick up that book that Anon suggested.

Reference the time-consuming stuff...the money is not an issue and my friend is good with loading and reloading operating systems so that shouldn't be an issue either.

This might be an interesting experience.

Funny related side note...I knew nothing about how to create a web page or even where to go to create one until I bought "Creating web pages for dummies" and "HTML for dummies". I can only do basic stuff like is in my CRUS pages now but that's all I needed to show the prime info. that I wanted to get that effort somewhat organized. The "... for dummies" books are great!

Gary
Old 2008-03-25, 14:25   #17
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Thanks all for the great info. about building a machine. Adam also sent me a good site to buy parts from. I think I will pick up that book that Anon suggested.

Reference the time-consuming stuff...the money is not an issue and my friend is good with loading and reloading operating systems so that shouldn't be an issue either.

This might be an interesting experience.

Funny related side note...I knew nothing about how to create a web page or even where to go to create one until I bought "Creating web pages for dummies" and "HTML for dummies". I can only do basic stuff like is in my CRUS pages now but that's all I needed to show the prime info. that I wanted to get that effort somewhat organized. The "... for dummies" books are great!

Gary
Oh, something else you might want to think about for your new machine: if it's to be a dedicated crunching machine, or at least used primarily for crunching, then you'd probably be best off putting some flavor of Linux on it. Quite a lot of distributions, such as Ubuntu, are at least as easy to use as Windows, and Linux has a lot less overhead than Windows (not to mention that it doesn't need an antivirus, which would add more overhead), so it steals less CPU time from your crunching.

For Ubuntu, I recommend buying The Official Ubuntu Book, Second Edition. Linux for Dummies was good, too, but it doesn't deal at all with Ubuntu (at least not the edition I have, which is a couple of years old), which is arguably the most popular distribution out there. The Ubuntu Book was nice because it was written by the same people who wrote the operating system (well, a handful of them, that is, since Ubuntu, being an open-source project, was written by gazillions of volunteers), and thus it includes, in addition to lots of easy-to-understand information on the operating system itself, some interesting facts about the history of Ubuntu.

I personally use Ubuntu for my primary machine, which I use for lots of things beside crunching. However, some may not quite be ready to switch over to a new OS for a machine they use everyday. (Though, in Ubuntu's favor, it's not very hard to pick up--it's been said that it combines the best of Windows and Mac user interfaces. And if you like the Windows Vista eye-candy stuff, Ubuntu's got some similar stuff that I've seen people actually like better than what's in Vista. )
Old 2008-03-26, 00:01   #18
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

crunchers don't need X-windows
Use CentOS 5 64bit on a quad
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 00:09   #19
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
crunchers don't need X-windows
Use CentOS 5 64bit on a quad
Well, that might work fine for a Linux geek, but a Linux newbie is definitely going to want X.

And may I remind you that Ubuntu can be installed without the GUI too?
Old 2008-03-26, 06:19   #20
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

I think I'll just stick with what is familiar to me...Windows. I have to learn enough new stuff at work all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions.