mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-06, 23:47   #34
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

22·691 Posts

oh please, don't try to change anything here.
i got a script for IronBits to change the date/time in his LLRnet-resultfiles for server 5000 (Linux) from this
[04/03/2008 03:45:37 PM] to this [03/04/08 15:45:37] to be equal to all Win-outputs and so i can easily import them into my scorings-macros.
for me (germany) it's also confusing to see what dateformat is displayed: day/month or month/day.
the best way for such format is truly the one AMDave suggested:
look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601.
so this rally is in that notification: 2008-03-08 19:00Z to 2008-03-09 19:00Z
and the easiest way to name and sort all resultfiles in a folder too!
Old 2008-03-07, 05:45   #35
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
I think wise people would use day/month/year, do you guys know why? Easy because we all write the date in extension like this (in any language I suppose): "Thursday, 6th of March of 2008", simple!
Uh, no, not at all. In U.S., if we wish to express the full date either verbally or written out fully, it would be "Thursday, March 6th, 2008"! Simple too! Why inject the extra 'of' in there. It's longer. lol

When day of week is stated, it's always stated first as in your example. For instance, if month/year don't need to be stated, we'd say "Thursday the 6th" or if the year is clear and we don't care about the day of week, we'd simply say "March 6th". Short and simple. No extra filler words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
I am a DD/MM/YYYY person myself

However I make my machines use YYYYMMDDHHMMSSSS_{filename}
because that makes more sense for chronological ordering of files in folders

Even better if I use UTC for the HHMMSSSS part when organizing files from machines in different timezones.

2c.
I too am very fond of dates in file names in CCYYMMDD format to keep them in chronological order when needed. I rarely need to specify hours/mins/secs in file names.

But being American, when displaying the date numerically, I gotta do the MM/DD/CCYY thing. lol

g
Old 2008-03-07, 05:53   #36
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
oh please, don't try to change anything here.
i got a script for IronBits to change the date/time in his LLRnet-resultfiles for server 5000 (Linux) from this
[04/03/2008 03:45:37 PM] to this [03/04/08 15:45:37] to be equal to all Win-outputs and so i can easily import them into my scorings-macros.
for me (germany) it's also confusing to see what dateformat is displayed: day/month or month/day.
the best way for such format is truly the one AMDave suggested:
look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601.
so this rally is in that notification: 2008-03-08 19:00Z to 2008-03-09 19:00Z
and the easiest way to name and sort all resultfiles in a folder too!

I think for Karsten's benefit, we should change everything for each rally to see if he can keep up. Perhaps for the next rally, we can put dates in DD/CCYY/MM format and have the rally on 2 different k-ranges on 2 different servers. We also can't forget that there should be several gaps in the rally's n-ranges because we previously allowed some manual reservations right in the middle of them.

I said we wanted a fun project. Wouldn't we all have fun seeing what kind of system he came up with to handle that?

Then for the rally after that, perhaps dates in YY/MM/CC/DD format would be good. So today's date would be 08032006. Maybe we could mix in some hours/mins/secs in reverse order at the beginning of the date to make things extra entertaining for the rest of us to watch.

Note: CC = century.

Gary
Old 2008-03-07, 05:59   #37
tnerual

Oct 2006

7×37 Posts

if you want to mix number, learn to speak dutch (flemish)

example: 185
in english you would say "one hundred eighty five"
in flemish you would say (translated) "one hundred five and eighty"

other crazy people: french from France

to say 96 they say "eighty-sixteen"

but all of that is not really rally related
Old 2008-03-07, 06:00   #38
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnerual View Post
The Original British Monetary System
Two farthings = One Ha’penny.
Two ha’pennies = One Penny.
Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit.
Two Thrupences = A Sixpence.
Two Sixpences = One Shilling or Bob.
Two Bob = A Florin.
One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown.
Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note.
Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies).
One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they felt it was “too complicated”.

for date, we would say in french : "le huit mars" (the eight march)

And I thought our method of length measurement was stupid! Very interesting. Thanks for the historical info.

So, is there any other language besides English where a Month and day are normally stated without a 'filler' word. i.e. it is simply stated "March 6th" and not "March the 6th" nor "the 6th of March". Now I'm kind of curious about that.
Old 2008-03-07, 06:14   #39
tnerual

Oct 2006

7·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
And I thought our method of length measurement was stupid! Very interesting. Thanks for the historical info.

So, is there any other language besides English where a Month and day are normally stated without a 'filler' word. i.e. it is simply stated "March 6th" and not "March the 6th" nor "the 6th of March". Now I'm kind of curious about that.
in french: "five march" (cinq mars)

Last fiddled with by tnerual on 2008-03-07 at 06:14
Old 2008-03-07, 07:17   #40
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

235458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
As Beyond I'll be out of the rally due to a bunch of work I still have to crunch on all my cores.
Carlos,

Can you pull a big chunk of the file out of your port 100 server? If so, I'll send Beyond that as the first part of his next big file that he needs before next Monday. That'd be a good way to clean up my mess!

Gary
Old 2008-03-07, 07:20   #41
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
I think for Karsten's benefit, we should change everything for each rally to see if he can keep up. Perhaps for the next rally, we can put dates in DD/CCYY/MM format and have the rally on 2 different k-ranges on 2 different servers. We also can't forget that there should be several gaps in the rally's n-ranges because we previously allowed some manual reservations right in the middle of them.

I said we wanted a fun project. Wouldn't we all have fun seeing what kind of system he came up with to handle that?

Then for the rally after that, perhaps dates in YY/MM/CC/DD format would be good. So today's date would be 08032006. Maybe we could mix in some hours/mins/secs in reverse order at the beginning of the date to make things extra entertaining for the rest of us to watch.

Note: CC = century.

Gary
Ha ha--now THAT would be a big pain in the butt to sort out. (Hey Xyzzy, we need a pain-in-the-butt emoticon! )
Old 2008-03-07, 07:24   #42
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Carlos,

Can you pull a big chunk of the file out of your port 100 server? If so, I'll send Beyond that as the first part of his next big file that he needs before next Monday. That'd be a good way to clean up my mess!

Gary
Hold on--that has the potential to get a little too messy on my end. How about we do this: Carlos, maybe you can set your port 100 server to 14 days deadline to return a result, and I can pull the numbers out of the server (or I can give Beyond a how-to so he can do it himself) through LLRnet using my aforementioned method, give them to Beyond, and then when he's done I/he can run his results through my little program and submit them to the LLRnet server.

That way, things will be MUCH less messy on my end. (I've already had enough of a pain in the butt trying to figure out who's got what files when Carlos sent chunks of his port 100 server's knpairs.txt file to IronBits. Don't worry, I've got it all sorted out, but I'd rather not have to do more of the same. )

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-03-07 at 07:24
Old 2008-03-07, 07:47   #43
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
Port 500=71267 k/n pairs
499 313051 1st k/n pair in knpairs.txt

Port 5000=62922 k/n pairs
321 344086 1st k/n pair in knpairs.txt
With 63K pairs remaining on Wed. evening, to n=400K should be sufficient to sustain the rally without Beyond and Carlos crunching. At a 4K rate/day reduction before the rally, we'd have 51K remaining to start the rally; subtract another 3K because people will be testing and moving their machines over ahead of time leaves 48K remaining right before the rally starts.

With the 1st rally, we processed 28K pairs with Carlos and without Beyond. Without Carlos but with other resources coming on board, I think there will be little chance that we'll get much above 40K candidates testing during the rally so am not inclined to send you more now.

Important question for everyone: Does anyone know of any heavy hitters that will participate in the rally who have not participated before? I'd define heavy as more than ~20 cores or more than 3 quads.

This makes a difference because I've been requested to post some manual LLR work for n>400K for drive 3. It's easier on the admins if the rally is for a contiguous n-range.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 2008-03-07, 07:51   #44
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Hold on--that has the potential to get a little too messy on my end. How about we do this: Carlos, maybe you can set your port 100 server to 14 days deadline to return a result, and I can pull the numbers out of the server (or I can give Beyond a how-to so he can do it himself) through LLRnet using my aforementioned method, give them to Beyond, and then when he's done I/he can run his results through my little program and submit them to the LLRnet server.

That way, things will be MUCH less messy on my end. (I've already had enough of a pain in the butt trying to figure out who's got what files when Carlos sent chunks of his port 100 server's knpairs.txt file to IronBits. Don't worry, I've got it all sorted out, but I'd rather not have to do more of the same. )
I guess I don't understand why it's a pain if he just pulls the last contiguous range out of there with no gaps and sends them to no one. I would then send the same range to Beyond for manual reservation.

But hey, don't do it if it's a pain at all. I only asked because I thought it'd be an easy way to dry his server.
Closed Thread