Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-25, 23:01   #12
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

I can create another Server if you like.
Just tell me what port number you want me to use (500 in use now)
and send me the knpairs.txt you want me to throw in there.
I will email results.txt to you or anonymous :)
Old 2008-02-25, 23:23   #13
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

22·691 Posts

Adam (AES) set up a LLRnet server this afternoon and we both tested until now.
seems stable (no issues yet) but we want test this server with more stress.
so here my suggestion:
we want many users as possible on this server for a small period, say 15 min (for beginning).
one request: ONLY use a WUCacheSize = 1 because the server got only about 3800 k/n-pairs by now. the range is 315.2 to 315.6 (i reserved it for me, but will mark it for LLRnet after completion).

here the information needed:
server: nplb.rieselprime.org
port: 300

please let me know so we can make a start time for this!

contributors:
AES (one core?)
kar_bon (Quad)
Carlos (Quad+ 2 cores)
Anonymous (2 cores)

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2008-02-25 at 23:43 Reason: contributors
Old 2008-02-25, 23:32   #14
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

I had a feeling I'd get a 'little' response from this.

Keep in mind that this was all off the cuff and I have much less experience than Carlos, IronBits, etc. with prime search projects.

It was more something to get a discussion started. I hope I didn't shock everyone too much!

What this thread may help nail down is the details of how ranges get divided up and processed/combined/checked/etc. in the future.

Let's start with what we do have:

Offers from IronBits, myself, and AES offered in a PM to host servers. If Carlos hosts 3, I host 2, IronBits hosts 2, and AES hosts 1, that makes 8.

In order to maintain 8 servers we would need:
3 people maintaining results; Carlos, Anon, and me
2 people helping with scoring; Karsten and ?
2 people helping update web pages; Karsten and me (or someone with a little more HTML knowhow)

Anything else?

So the question is do we need 8 servers? Only the people running the servers and with server knowledge can answer that. Part of the question is the capacity of each server. Can we build at least 2 of our servers such that they can handle huge rallies? Rallies that include the heavy hitters that we currently have plus the person that Carlos is cultivating plus some additional searchers?

We don't have to have 8 servers now. When the lower range finishes, that drops one server. Perhaps the most that we need at any one time is 5-6.

If we can say for sure that we can build 2 'monster' servers that can handle even the largest of rallies, then perhaps we can put just one server on each of the n=333.3K-600K ranges, then that drops 2 servers right there.

Another option would be to combine 300<k<400 in with the big drive 1 when the n-range catches up. That might drop another. In suggesting the 8 servers, I'm assuming the addition of only one more heavy hitter to the project that Carlos has alluded to cultivating at the moment. In other words, only moderately more additional processing than we currently have.

Here's what having many servers will do:
1. Allow the flexibility for people to move around within the project as they desire.
2. Gives us the capacity for future growth.

What I'm really trying to avoid here is future 'growing pains'. If we have excess capacity now, we won't have many server problems in the future. But we have to be careful by anticipating the maintenance of all of the servers, which is what I'm attempting to do above.

So...any comments, suggestions, etc. on the best way to divvy up future k-ranges/n-ranges/checking amongst the various servers is welcome. I have my ideas but can be easily swayed by logic and common sense.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-02-25 at 23:53
Old 2008-02-25, 23:38   #15
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2×5×283 Posts

Let's play poker, added two more cores to match Anon's bet...lol
Old 2008-02-25, 23:39   #16
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
In order to maintain 8 servers we would need:
3 people maintaining results; Carlos, Anon, and me
2 people helping with scoring; Karsten and ?
2 people helping update web pages; Karsten and me (or someone with a little more HTML knowhow)
Unfortunately, it seems that for the time being at least, I will be the only one able to handle the results files--my Perl scripts are hardly ready to release even to a select few.

However, when I get the time, I will do what I can to try to fix them.

In the meantime, though, I should be able to handle processing results from that many servers.
Old 2008-02-25, 23:42   #17
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

22·691 Posts

so if everyone ready we can start the small tiny mini-race for 15 min on the new server!?
(Carlos want to bed!!!!)
so we start in 3 few min (00:45 here)!
Old 2008-02-25, 23:44   #18
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
so if everyone ready we can start the small tiny mini-race for 15 min on the new server!?
(Carlos want to bed!!!!)
Okay, fine with me.
Old 2008-02-25, 23:45   #19
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111011001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
You are really crazy Gary!!!

I'll only host max of three servers.
Why thank you! I told my daughter one time that if she ever called me 'normal', I would take it as an insult. She calls me crazy sometimes too. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Then I guess it's a good thing that we've got some more people interested in hosting LLRnet servers, too!

Hey, maybe we can set a world record for most LLRnet servers in one project?
Sure, why not? If we're going to set the world record for finding the most top-5000 primes in a year, then why not set the world record for servers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
A think all those server are nonsense but who am I to judge this....
Judge away. I want to hear people's thoughts, both good and bad.

I want to strike a balance between fun and fear/stress here. You know that fine line between being really scared about something and having a tremendous adreneline rush and a great thrill? If it's not scary enough at the outset, then it's not very much fun. But if you're really scared but do it anyway because there's really nothing to be scared about if you think it through, that's where the fun is.

Think of the scariest roller coaster when you were a kid or diving off of a high cliff as an adult? I remember the first time I jumped off a 35-40 foot cliff into water in my mid-20's. Talk about scared the first time! It took me 20 mins. of standing there before I finally jumped. But once I did it, it was the greatest rush! I was hooked!

It's that fine line that I'm looking for that doesn't scare the crap out of people but makes them say, this is great fun and I want to keep going back for more! That's what I'm looking for.

Gary
Old 2008-02-25, 23:46   #20
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
Adam (AES) set up a LLRnet server this afternoon and we both tested until now.
seems stable (no issues yet) but we want test this server with more stress.
so here my suggestion:
we want many users as possible on this server for a small period, say 15 min (for beginning).
one request: ONLY use a WUCacheSize = 1 because the server got only about 3800 k/n-pairs by now. the range is 315.2 to 315.6 (i reserved it for me, but will mark it for LLRnet after completion).

here the information needed:

please let me know so we can make a start time for this!

contributors:
AES (one core?)
kar_bon (Quad)
Carlos (Quad+ 2 cores)
Anonymous (2 cores)

Ah, heck with 2 servers by me, we could have 12 servers. That'd be enough for both projects. Sounds good to me!
Old 2008-02-25, 23:47   #21
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Quote:
(Carlos want to bed!!!!)
What port? I've got 4 machines running on 100 and 4 machines on 300 right now.
Old 2008-02-25, 23:48   #22
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

1011000011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
What port? I've got 4 machines running on 100 and 4 machines on 300 right now.
Closed Thread