Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-02-19, 19:12   #1244
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

307610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Bob Nill. Gave his life saving two children, as a school crossing guard, at age 88. https://www.foxnews.com/us/kansas-cr...principal-says
By other accounts, he didn't push the kids out of the way. He was standing in the middle of the street. As the kids were stepping off the curb, he saw the car coming way too fast. He put out his arm and motioned them to step back. They did. He stayed put.

The large red sign he had been holding wound up 20 feet away.

The driver remained on the scene, was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, and was said to be cooperating with investigators.
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 15:17   #1245
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

467 Posts
Default Larry Tesler

Larry Tesler was the computer scientist who, while working at Xerox Parc, wrote a word processor that included his innovation of cut, copy, and paste.
He was also an advocate of "modeless computing."

https://gizmodo.com/larry-tessler-mo...sed-1841787408
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 15:34   #1246
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

37×211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Larry Tesler was the computer scientist who, while working at Xerox Parc, wrote a word processor that included his innovation of cut, copy, and paste.
Cut and paste is an old concept
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2013/0...austens-pinny/
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 19:06   #1247
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

26·32·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Yes, the simple fact of the "cut and paste" terminology rather hints at an old physical-document procedure being emulated in software, doesn't it?

Columnwise cut/copy/paste is *still* easier using paper, scissors and glue than it is in !%$@^ emacs. (The availability and ease of said operation is my own #1 discriminant in choosing a text editor.)
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-21, 14:20   #1248
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×769 Posts

Sandra Wilson, 52
Quote:
A female security guard was stabbed to death in a New York library by a man when she asked him to turn his music down.

Blanchard Glaudin, 25, knifed 52-year-old security guard Sandra Wilson at midday on Tuesday at Finkelstein Memorial Library in Spring Valley, N.Y.

Glaudin smiled as he plunged the kitchen knife into Wilson after she asked him to turn the music down, according to witnesses who spoke to ABC.
The suspect was smiling during his first court appearance, too.

I suppose he has a right to smile. He's only charged with second-degree murder, and in circumstances for which he faces at most 25 years in prison if convicted.
Old 2020-02-21, 19:50   #1249
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2AC016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Article failed to mention whether the killer was homeless and/or had a history of mental illness. Lots of folks fitting that profile sleeping under overpasses at night, and spending their days in public places with bathroom facilities such as libraries.

It sucks having to consider installing metal detectors at the entrances of public libraries, that's for sure.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-21, 22:05   #1250
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Article failed to mention whether the killer was homeless and/or had a history of mental illness. Lots of folks fitting that profile sleeping under overpasses at night, and spending their days in public places with bathroom facilities such as libraries.

It sucks having to consider installing metal detectors at the entrances of public libraries, that's for sure.
It gets better. The suspect was arrested in December for an attempted rape at knife point that took place in November. He was originally jailed on a $100,000.00 bond, but was cut loose on December 26, apparently ROR. (And yes, the suspect apparently does have a history of mental problems "challenges.")

Some folks are blaming "bail reform" for this guy being released, but as I understand it, the NY bail reform law that took effect January 1 didn't affect this case, because the suspect was charged with a violent felony, and in any case could have been ordered held for mental evaluation. The DA in the murder case is looking into just how he came to be released on the attempted rape charge.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-02-21 at 22:08 Reason: Add quote marks
Old 2020-02-22, 17:20   #1251
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·769 Posts

I screwed up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
It gets better. The suspect was arrested in December for an attempted rape at knife point that took place in November. He was originally jailed on a $100,000.00 bond, but was cut loose on December 26, apparently ROR. (And yes, the suspect apparently does have a history of mental problems "challenges.")
Contrary to what I said, the attempted rape, though violent, was not "at knife point." The suspect is alleged to have grabbed the victim by the throat, bitten her, and said "I do not care about your blood." (The victim did sustain visible injuries.)

So he wasn't threatening to cut her. Perhaps he meant he didn't care whether it was "that time of the month."
Old 2020-02-24, 16:16   #1252
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

100010101012 Posts

Katherine Johnson

Quote:
During her career at NASA, Johnson made on-the-fly calculations for the Apollo 11 moon landing 50 years ago.
She was 101 years old.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-24, 17:27   #1253
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×32×5×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Katherine Johnson
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...ures-has-died/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-25, 04:41   #1254
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

840610 Posts

I totally hate the way of titling the links at arstechnica. It is not the first time.

I want to change my skype status to say "If she says they're good, then I'm ready to go." as a homage to this lady, and because I like the phrase, and I like when somebody trusts somebody else at such a level. This says a lot about what people they were. And I usually do this status exchanges from time to time, to things that move me, and give a link. But how the hack can I attach a link (which shows in tooltip) which says she is famous from a movie? It looks like a minor actress or something. Nobody will click it.

Not "the famous nasa mathematician" or whatever, they could have said it in a thousand ways, but "famous from the movie"... Grrr... Boneheads!

Not mentioning that the photo looks a bit racist, doctored to whiten her face (I had no idea she was black, before reading the article, and then looked more carefully to the photo, her arms, etc).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-02-25 at 04:43
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote