Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2010-12-07, 07:42   #23
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts
Exclamation Outage?

The noprimeleftbehind.net website and all services hosted on the same machine are unreachable at this time. From the PRPnet logs on my quad, this appears to have been the case for at least the last 30 minutes.

At this point I can't say if it's a temporary outage or will be longer-term; Gary is out of town until Wednesday so if jeepford is down, it's probably not coming back up until then. (The most probable explanation would be a power outage; if that's the case, then whether or not service is restored in the next half-hour or so, i.e. approximately when the UPS battery runs out, will determine whether the noprimeleftbehind.net services come back online tonight or Wednesday.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 07:43   #24
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
The noprimeleftbehind.net website and all services hosted on the same machine are unreachable at this time. From the PRPnet logs on my quad, this appears to have been the case for at least the last 30 minutes.

At this point I can't say if it's a temporary outage or will be longer-term; Gary is out of town until Wednesday so if jeepford is down, it's probably not coming back up until then. (The most probable explanation would be a power outage; if that's the case, then whether or not service is restored in the next half-hour or so, i.e. approximately when the UPS battery runs out, will determine whether the noprimeleftbehind.net services come back online tonight or Wednesday.)
And what do you know, all is functioning again. Whatever it was, it's fixed now.
Old 2010-12-08, 13:07   #25
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2×7×47 Posts

The host has been up for 92 continuous days, although I can't vouch for the LLR ports.

@Max &/ Gary
there is an increasing number of patches and updates pending to the host.
Please run the updates and then the upgrades.

"IFF" (If and only if, heh heh) the update process says it is necessary, please schedule a restart.
About 25% of an hour should do it.
Best at xx:30 hrs and the hour being bang-howl (where bang is "!" and howl is midnight)
The reboot may not be required, but I suspect that the 92 days uptime includes the release date of at least one Sec.Patch that the upgrade process will tell you requires a reboot.
cheers

@Max
Your post above about the site being unreachable coincides with a similar post I made regarding another site that is hosted (physically and logically) not so far away from noprimeleftbehind.
It looks very much like there were many sites that experienced a major network slow down and even network outages at that time.
Ask the ISP if you need further info.

Last fiddled with by AMDave on 2010-12-08 at 13:23
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 04:34   #26
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

FYI @all: noprimeleftbehind.net seems to be down from my end, and http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/n...leftbehind.net confirms this as well. Gary's not home right now but I did get a hold of him via text message and he said he'll take a look at it when he gets home (probably sometime tonight, since I believe he got back from his latest business trip a few days ago).
Old 2011-02-18, 06:17   #27
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Unfortunately the server machine is down completely. It won't come on after several attempts. My guess...yet another blown mobo. Although I can't visually see anything burned out, 80% of the time, that's what it's been on my machines; most of the rest of the time a bad power supply. My main sieving machine, a Windows I7, also went down while I was away on a business trip. My guess...a bad mobo.

I wonder if others have the problems with motherboards that I do. I get so sick of replacing them and the expense has become very high. In 3 years time, I've replaced an average of more than one motherboard for every machine that I have.

This is a terrible inconvenience for me at this point to have my 2 most important machines go down within a few days of each other. These 2 machines are supposed to have the best mobo for the money and they are just over a year old. I'll see about swapping the server machine's hard drive to another one of my Intel machines and hope to get it running in a few hours here.

The timing is so bad in my personal life that I'll probably just take the 2 machines into the shop, have them diagnose them, and fix them, at an expense of likely $100+ extra over figuring it out myself and replacing the bad part(s) myself and at a loss of probably several extra days of processing. I just don't have the time to continue dealing with these things.

Right now, I'm completely disgusted.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2011-02-18 at 06:21
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 06:52   #28
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I'll see about swapping the server machine's hard drive to another one of my Intel machines and hope to get it running in a few hours here.
Just a little note as to what you might expect when doing this: because your four original Intels are not quite the same configuration as jeepford (they are Q6600's, and jeepford is a Q9something), it will probably boot up, but the graphics may not work. If that turns out to be the case, everything should still be OK--just log in on the command line and let me know, and I'll pop in remotely and start up the servers from there.

Worst case scenario, jeepford's hard drive won't boot up at all in your other Intels; I'd say this is an unlikely possibility, but nonetheless possible. In that case, I can set up some temporary servers on one of your other machines (or even on my own computer if for some strange reason that doesn't work out). We wouldn't have the website and DB (well, I might be able to get a temporary kludge set up for the CRUS web pages) but we'd at least have LLRnet and PRPnet servers.
Old 2011-02-18, 08:05   #29
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

All is working again now. Gary was able to get jeepford's hard drive switched into humpford, our previous server box. As it turned out, their graphics chipsets were similar enough that we didn't have any problems with getting that working. (Thankfully, Linux is much hardier than Windows with such things...Windows would probably have given a BSOD on bootup from the different hard disk controller on the new mobo.)

So, as far as the server stuff is concerned, nothing has really changed; humpford now thinks it is jeepford in every way. Now the trick will be to get the real jeepford working again...perhaps it wiill turn out to just be a blown power supply (which is easy and cheap to repair), though more likely it will require a mobo replacement.
Old 2011-02-18, 12:20   #30
nuggetprime

Mar 2007
Austria

2×151 Posts

Just courious,what PSUs is Gary using on his machines?
Low-quality power supplies can both go bad fairly soon and damage or reduce lifespan of your mobo/graphics card due to voltage spikes and stuff.
I would recommend to take a model from Corsair,Seasonic or OCZ. They are all excellent.
nuggetprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 19:10   #31
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetprime View Post
Just courious,what PSUs is Gary using on his machines?
Low-quality power supplies can both go bad fairly soon and damage or reduce lifespan of your mobo/graphics card due to voltage spikes and stuff.
I would recommend to take a model from Corsair,Seasonic or OCZ. They are all excellent.
I'm not sure what PSU he's using but he usually just gets cases from his local computer store and uses the PSUs in them. He has had a few blown power supplies in the past, but in each case he's observed blackening around the spot where the PSU's cable connects to the motherboard. (Amazingly, both the motherboard and CPU survived in all such cases. ) This time, however, there was no visible blackening, which is why we're thinking the mobo is bad. (In the past whenever he's had a bad mobo, there's been visual evidence about 50% of the time.)

Good point, though, about the cheap power supplies reducing the life of the other components...that may have been a contributing factor in this case. Regardless of whether the PSU or mobo turned out to be the problem in this case, I should look into higher-grade server power supplies for jeepford--that way it will have better protection going forward.
Old 2011-02-18, 19:34   #32
nuggetprime

Mar 2007
Austria

1001011102 Posts

Sorry,but preinstalled-in-case power supplies are about the lowest grade ones you can get
From personal experience, I would recommend an OCZ StealthXStream model. A 500W one can be had for just 70 dollars at NewEgg,and Gary certainly doesn't have to replace his mobo so often then.

Nugget
nuggetprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 19:38   #33
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Max is incorrect. I've always bought boxes without power supplies and then bought separate power supplies. I would not trust a pre-installed one. I've usually looked for middle-of-the road power supplies; not the cheapest; not the most expensive. But for these 2 most important boxes, high-end ones would be better.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote