henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

2·3·941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
That makes sense now on the smoothwall and wireless routers. It's good to know we won't have to have both plugged into the UPS. My mom's old machine was pretty quiet since it wasn't running any programs. So it's good to know that it would be the same level of quietness in the future. I had assumed that just using the machine as a smoothwall router would mean it wouldn't be running any "real" programs. Having my new I7 Window's desktop crunching at full bore and the smoothwall router machine not really running anything in my bedroom will be fine. My mom's machine is unusually small and I can run it headless after we get the smoothwall and remote access stuff set up so the space requirements will be minimal.

Good idea on the new thread. For people who want to run their own public or private servers in the future, this will be a good thread to refer to for setting things up.
It might be worth trying to see if you can fiddle with the fans to make them run slower.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 03:31   #13
alincinuirm

155308 Posts
Default new server setup discussion

Hey Guys,

With all the trouble weve been having with the old box, were finally up and running on the new forum server. You might notice a few glitches here and there while we get things ironed out, but overall the forums should be a lot faster and more reliable we hope, anyway.
Old 2009-09-07, 15:25   #14
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alincinuirm View Post
Hey Guys,

With all the trouble weve been having with the old box, were finally up and running on the new forum server. You might notice a few glitches here and there while we get things ironed out, but overall the forums should be a lot faster and more reliable we hope, anyway.
Uh...excuse me? I'm not sure what you mean. No offence intended, but it's a bit confusing to see someone register for an account and post on his first post stuff about our server setup that doesn't even seem to fit the circumstances.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 08:42   #15
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2×7×47 Posts

agree
that post does not check out
strongly suggest you use the 'report as spam' button then
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 09:42   #16
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alincinuirm View Post
Hey Guys,

Identify yourself alincinuirm.

XYZZY, if you're reading here, can you please check this out? Thanks.

If I see no further follow up on this, I will summarily delete this person's post as well as my and other's responses to it.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-09-08 at 09:43
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote