Old 2009-07-21, 14:21   #45
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
I run several Linux servers and workstations and I do not have that issue.
I think that your server entry is incomplete as you do not have the "www." precedent in front.
It should be

The IP address is not likely to change soon but using the correct server name is preferred in case that should happen.
If you can spare the time to do a test with this server name it would be much appreciated.
It works for me with or without the "www.", so I don't think that's the issue. Rather, I think Zachariassen was hit by a rather annoying bug that occurs on Red Hat- or Debian-based distros when the LLRnet binary was not originally compiled on one of those distros, where the client isn't able to resolve DNS addresses. The solution is to either compile it yourself, or use someone else's binary that was compiled on one of those distros. An alternative workaround is to use the IP address instead, which worked for Zachariassen in this case.

I know that I compiled the client myself a while back (on Ubuntu, which is Debian-based so it works for those systems) and posted it for download. The only disadvantage of that build is that it doesn't have the GUI enabled (since I don't have the GUI development libraries installed on my machine). Zachariassen, if you don't mind not having a GUI, I can see if I can dig up a link to download my Debian build, so you don't have to use the IP address.

Regarding the IP address workaround: there shouldn't be a problem with that changing, since David has a static IP. Of course, this workaround wouldn't work too well for the nplb-gb1.no-ip.org servers, which are on a dynamic IP that can change at any time without warning.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 17:02   #46
Zachariassen

Apr 2009

2×32 Posts

Quote:
I run several Linux servers and workstations and I do not have that issue.
I think that your server entry is incomplete as you do not have the "www." precedent in front.
It should be

The IP address is not likely to change soon but using the correct server name is preferred in case that should happen.
If you can spare the time to do a test with this server name it would be much appreciated.
I have tried with <www.> in front - and it didn't work... sorry.

Quote:
Zachariassen, if you don't mind not having a GUI...
I don't mind mdettweiler - I always run it in terminal like this : sudo ./llrnet -no-gui

Last fiddled with by Zachariassen on 2009-07-21 at 17:07
Zachariassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 03:06   #47
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

100010110012 Posts

Edit /etc/hosts
Put the IP and hostname in there
IP addy hostname
IP addy hostname
Save it and your done ;)
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 03:18   #48
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

33510 Posts

Help request:

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 running at stock 1.86GHz. It has 2GB DDR2 RAM. OS is Windows XP Pro SP3. Its been running stably for ages, couple of years at 24/7. It is running a network version of AVG plus the netDIMES project and BOINC FreeHAL@Home.

When I run NPLB from two separate folders (sub-directories) off the C:\ drive the two instances run OK. However, the GUI won't open on the second instance, only on the first (I think that's the right order). I have added the extra port and now see both instances crunching on the GUIport 6999 and GUIport 6998.

How do I get the GUI to display regardless of which Systemtray icon I right click on and select 'New GUI window'?
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 03:39   #49
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
Help request:

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 running at stock 1.86GHz. It has 2GB DDR2 RAM. OS is Windows XP Pro SP3. Its been running stably for ages, couple of years at 24/7. It is running a network version of AVG plus the netDIMES project and BOINC FreeHAL@Home.

When I run NPLB from two separate folders (sub-directories) off the C:\ drive the two instances run OK. However, the GUI won't open on the second instance, only on the first (I think that's the right order). I have added the extra port and now see both instances crunching on the GUIport 6999 and GUIport 6998.

How do I get the GUI to display regardless of which Systemtray icon I right click on and select 'New GUI window'?
I'm not sure if it's possible to make one LLRnet client point to another's GUI. Maybe modifying the second client's gui.bat to cd to the first client's directory before launching the GUI would work? (I don't know if the client actually utilizes the gui.bat for the "New GUI Window" button, or has the link hardcoded, so this may or may not work.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 08:55   #50
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2·7·47 Posts

Ah. That's tricky.

I could always get one GUI to monitor all of the clients (including other machines and OSs across the network).

I always got the start up sequence to kick that one off first so I always knew it was 'the one on the left'.

I don't recall if I ever pushed to get both GUIs on the same Win-box to look at each other, though.

I have some instructions for the GUI connections that I wrote up a couple of years ago when Brucifer and I were thrashing out primes for Lars Dauche's project. I'll dig them up and re-work them with vaughan, see if we can get it to work and if so we'll get them posted up.

/me kicks the tyres on his new VM server ... oh yeah! lets roll.
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 09:34   #51
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2×7×47 Posts

vaughan

I recall that I have tested this before.

can you double check that both clients on that machine were started without the no-gui flag and both client config files have "GUIremote = 1" uncommented?

There's no other reason for it not to work.

Be careful not to 'control' them both from the GUIs at the same time.
You can cause the client to crash if it gets conflicting instructions from 2 GUIs at the same time.

Last fiddled with by AMDave on 2009-08-07 at 10:07
Old 2009-08-07, 12:17   #52
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5×67 Posts

Quote:
can you double check that both clients on that machine were started without the no-gui flag and both client config files have "GUIremote = 1" uncommented?
Yes, it is uncommented in both C:\NPLB and C:\NPLB1 llr-clientconfig.txt files.

Also I'm using the left systray icon but that;s the one that fails to display. If I then try the right hand systray icon the GUI window opens. Then I add the 6998 client and its "normal" ie working as it should.

Same thing happens on Lisa's XPS laptop so I just run one instance on that machine. Anyways, LLRnet makes it run very hot; at least 6deg C hotter than the most aggressive BOINC applications. I have to start two instances, run the GUI from the RHS one then let the C:\NPLB1 end after one test. This lets the laptop cool down from near 90C to the mid 70s.

Last fiddled with by vaughan on 2009-08-07 at 12:19
Old 2009-08-08, 01:33   #53
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

29216 Posts

pls zip and email me the client config and the bat files.
Old 2009-08-09, 13:31   #54
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5·67 Posts

Dave - files sent by e-mail. Thanks.
Old 2009-08-10, 13:26   #55
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop