mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2008-06-19, 15:08   #12
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Okay, great! For this upcoming rally, could you please put everything on server IB8500? (In fact, that's sort of what it was originally designed for. ) That will take a lot of load off the main servers.

Edit: Ah, just read the rally thread, see you beat me to the punch.
Better late than never............... LOL
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 17:22   #13
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

277216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
Quiet is always good when you have to deal with guys like Gary and Anon, they blah too much!

Oh, I forgot...

Darn...couldn't blah more. It only limits me to 10 blahs!

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 21:43   #14
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Twas good to get back home. Vacations are good and provide the break from everything, but it's always nice to get home and sleep in your own bed, your own bathroom, and not to forget the good old refrigerator!!! But this heat wave sux. Setting temperature records now for this time of the month/year. Only running about half the farm now cause the poor old A/C is having to do triple duty.
Old 2008-06-29, 23:09   #15
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

It is a hot year every where.
Just read that some scientists are saying there will be no floating ice left at the north pole by September of this year :yikes:
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 00:12   #16
Brucifer

Dec 2005

1001110012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
It is a hot year every where.
Just read that some scientists are saying there will be no floating ice left at the north pole by September of this year :yikes:
yeah, I was just reading that too. Really some seriously hosed up weather all over. Look at all the heavy snow fall, the heavy rains and resulting flooding around the planet. And not to forget the really active tornadoes in the US this year too.

Of course we in the US are watching our severely impacted economic situation closely, but ours isn't the only one taking some serious hits either. While we have the added catastrophe of the flooding in the mid-west, China has taken some serious financial hits too from the heavy flooding damage there. Lots of other weather related issues around the planet too.

For those that follow the Mayan(?) calendar thing about the end coming in 2012??? What is supposed to cause it?
Old 2008-06-30, 00:58   #17
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

111310 Posts

You can find lots of hits with Google to read more. ;)
Every so often a force from space causes global cataclysms and mass mutations.

Authors disagree about what humankind should expect on Dec. 21, 2012, when the Maya's "Long Count" calendar marks the end of a 5,126-year era.

Part of the 2012 mystique stems from the stars.
On the winter solstice in 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in about 26,000 years.
This means that "whatever energy typically streams to Earth from the center of the Milky Way will indeed be disrupted on 12/21/12 at 11:11 p.m. Universal Time"

The date December 21st, 2012 A.D. (13.0.0.0.0 in the Long Count), represents an extremely close conjunction of the Winter Solstice Sun with the crossing point of the Galactic Equator (Equator of the Milky Way) and the Ecliptic (path of the Sun), what that ancient Maya recognized as the Sacred Tree. This is an event that has been coming to resonance very slowly over thousands and thousands of years. It will come to resolution at exactly 11:11 am GMT.
The astronomer Philip Plait has stated very clearly that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012 at all, that it is like the odometer on your car, as each section of the odometer reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer - the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.

and I'll leave you with this link: http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

How's your prime hunting doing these days?
Old 2008-06-30, 02:38   #18
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Quote:
How's your prime hunting doing these days?
rather poorly...
Old 2008-06-30, 02:48   #19
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×33×11×17 Posts

It's intersting that you guys are talking about global warming and the such here.

I have an actual $50 bet with a business associate that we made 5 months ago that for 3 out of the next 5 years, the avg. global tempurature will be > 0.5 degrees Celsius above the long-term average since 1870. Of course I am wagering that it is above that average.

Last year, there was one of the largest drops in history, which is what inspired our somewhat heated debate. It dropped from 0.8 degrees above the avg. to 0.2 degrees above the avg. He's convinced that's indicative that the 'temporary upward blip' in global tempuratures is over. I told him he's nuts because 5 of the last 6 years before 2007 had been > 0.5 degrees C above the long-term average and that the trend has been strongly upward for nearly 25 years.

He's an ultra-conservative and is completely convinced that global-warming is a myth. I finally told him to put his money where his mouth is and make the bet. He didn't hesitate. Based on what I've heard from several people and in the news, I think I'm already in good shape to take a 1-0 lead this year.

We're using a neutral and official whether-related website to get the avg. global temp. so everything is on the up-and-up. I'd have to dig it up from an old Email if anyone wants to see it. It's quite interesting.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-06-30 at 02:57
Old 2008-06-30, 02:56   #20
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×33×11×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Twas good to get back home. Vacations are good and provide the break from everything, but it's always nice to get home and sleep in your own bed, your own bathroom, and not to forget the good old refrigerator!!! But this heat wave sux. Setting temperature records now for this time of the month/year. Only running about half the farm now cause the poor old A/C is having to do triple duty.
Bruce, if I may ask, where abouts do you live? One of our regulars at NPLB lives in TX but I can't remember who it is. I thought it might be you but maybe it's Beyond. You must be in a southern state. It's been somewhat mild here in the midwest...perhaps 2-3 days above 90 so far in the Kansas City area.

Gary
Old 2008-06-30, 03:42   #21
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Quote:
Y
and I'll leave you with this link: http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm
hmmm...... where are all the 60's flower children at now???? :) In the grand scheme of things, we really don't know squat. Haven't figured out the weather on this planet. Sorta makes one wonder what is really at the core of the weather changes....
Old 2008-06-30, 03:50   #22
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

Well, one thing that I have thought of for quite some time... if all that snow/ice is melting, it's putting a lot more moisture in the air, for now...
I'm more worried about when all the fresh water reserves are melted away.