Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-01, 18:14   #12
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Idea 3) Change the project name to CUGM (Clean Up Gary's Mess)
LOL; no...ROFLMAO

Yeah, I just changed it from PrimeSearch's mess to Gary's mess. It's easier to blame a person than a project!!

gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 18:26   #13
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Funny thing about CUGM...Anon and I originally discussed calling the project something close to that...CUPS...for "Clean Up Prime Search". When I mentioned it to Mike (Xyzzy), he thought it wasn't catchy enough
and I had to agree. After discussion on the phone for a while, he mentioned the project name as it currently exists...an outstanding a very catchy name. Thanks for the excellent project name suggestion, Mike!!

Whew. I couldn't agree more about cleaning out some old posts. This project has just moved so fast that many things come at you all at once...4 hours+ to set up drive 3 last night. Many things need to be done.

I have to run now but I'll be back on in 2-3 hours and I'll look into deleting some old posts; perhaps an entire couple of threads.

I think having a thread specific to each rally is an excellent idea. A thread that we can use exclusively for the rally and then delete within a week afterwords. If there are any problems that come up where future vital info. can be used, we can transfer that to the automated testing with LLRnet thread.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'm confused by the poll. What does 00, 01, 10, 11, other mean? What are we voting on? I couldn't tell by reading anything in this thread. I notice '11' is winning big but don't know what it means. lmao

Later,
Gary
Old 2008-03-01, 18:42   #14
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I'm confused by the poll. What does 00, 01, 10, 11, other mean? What are we voting on? I couldn't tell by reading anything in this thread. I notice '11' is winning big but don't know what it means. lmao
You should vote for the "huh? or other" option.
I meant it as binary yes/no's for my two suggestions. 00 would mean both my ideas stink; 01 would mean first bad, second good (the digit in first position is 0 for bad, digit in second position is 1 for good, get it?); 10 would mean first good, second bad; 11 would mean both are good; and I put the "huh? or other" for people that didn't understand the poll. I would've separated those two, but there's a 5-option limit, and I wanted to have both.
It could also mean 002 = 0 means neither are good; 012 = 1 means first good, second bad; 102 = 2 means first bad, second good; and 112 = 3 means both good, to show the sum of the numbers of which you like.

I'm surprised as many people understood it as they did...or maybe they didn't, the first voter just randomly voted for 11, and the rest just voted for what everyone else was.
Quote:
Funny thing about CUGM...Anon and I originally discussed calling the project something close to that...CUPS...for "Clean Up Prime Search". When I mentioned it to Mike (Xyzzy), he thought it wasn't catchy enough
and I had to agree. After discussion on the phone for a while, he mentioned the project name as it currently exists...an outstanding a very catchy name. Thanks for the excellent project name suggestion, Mike!!
Yeah, CUPS wouldn't be nearly as catchy, and would look and sound too similar to CRUS.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2008-03-01 at 18:42
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 21:16   #15
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5×2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Idea one: Make a stickied "rally-planning" thread that we can plan all our rallies in. The first post in it should be kept updated with when we are planning to have them, and on what server(s), and the title should be updated with the date of the next rally.
Consider archiving the old posts away somehow as we hold and plan different rallies, since nobody wants to look through 17 pages of stuff to find when the discussion of the rallies a month ago ends and the next rally's discussion starts.

Two: Make a list (maybe stickied and/or locked) of LLRnet servers, their URLs and ports, who runs them, and what work they currently have. Even if we try to keep the number of servers to a minimum, there's still several different URLs and ports, so it could be pretty confusing to a newcomer, or to a member who doesn't follow it pretty closely.
Maybe put this in the "Automated LLR testing with LLRnet" thread, instead of having its own.
I had a little more time to read through everything now. I should have figured the poll was some sort of binary thing. lol

These are excellent ideas. I have to delegate some stuff here so here is what I suggest:

1. Anon, can you make a new stickied thread that shows all of the servers and exactly what they are searching now? Just one post only in a new thread. Everyone is correct that it is vital that new people need to be able to see 'how to' stuff more quickly. The only responses that should be in the thread is when servers change what they are processing, a server is removed, or a server is added. That is the first post should just continually be updated for current server info. and subsequent posts should state any changes.

2. I will start a new stickied thread that shows the date and details of the next rally. Any planning questions, problems, or conerns can be posted there. (Assuming one hasn't already been started. I haven't checked all new threads/posts yet today except in this thread.)

3. I will either lock some threads about past rallies or delete many of their rally-specific posts. If I see any important info. in them, I'll suggest that Anon or Karsten add that info. to the current 'Automated LLR testing with LLRnet' thread.

Look for some of these additions and changes in the next hour.

Gary
Old 2008-03-01, 21:53   #16
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Quote:
1. Anon, can you make a new stickied thread that shows all of the servers and exactly what they are searching now? Just one post only in a new thread. Everyone is correct that it is vital that new people need to be able to see 'how to' stuff more quickly. The only responses that should be in the thread is when servers change what they are processing, a server is removed, or a server is added. That is the first post should just continually be updated for current server info. and subsequent posts should state any changes.

Gary

As many of you probably know, Karsten already did this. Thanks Karsten! I made it a brand new thread and stickied it.

Idea two DONE!

Gary
Old 2008-03-01, 23:32   #17
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

5·2,017 Posts

Everything requested is complete.

I did not delete any threads. I locked the one for '24 hours rally' after moving some general info. posts over to the general LLRnet discussion thread.

I'm going to suggest to Karsten at some point that we delete most of the posts about primes found up until the last week at some point after making sure that we have all of them. We could also delete some reservations posts after making sure we have any attached results. After the next rally will probably be a good time to do that.

Gary