mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > ONeil

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-12-11, 06:35   #1
ONeil
 
Dec 2017

24×3×5 Posts
minus Prediction Next Exponent which produces a Mersenne Prime #52

I firmly believe the next exponent that produces a Mersenne Prime if you do this to it:

It will equal Zero if you mod 6 to it after a minus 1!


exponent-1Mod6 will equal Zero

exponent-1 % 6 = 0


I base this on the many exponents that follow a certain pattern which build perfect numbers will always and must have an occasional number when minus 1 mod 6 to the exponent it will be ZERO. I call this the ONeil perfect number Conjecture!
ONeil is offline  
Old 2020-12-11, 06:44   #2
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

7·11·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
I firmly believe the next exponent that produces a Mersenne Prime if you do this to it:
So IOW, equal to 1 mod 6.

I guess the only other option to choose was 5 mod 6, so you have a 1-in-2 chance of being correct.

Not very god odds IMO, no better than a coin toss.
retina is online now  
Old 2020-12-11, 06:46   #3
ONeil
 
Dec 2017

F016 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
So IOW, equal to 1 mod 6.

I guess the only other option to choose was 5 mod 6, so you have a 1-in-2 chance of being correct.

Not very god odds IMO, no better than a coin toss.
However we are due for a zero its lined up for one! The pattern should be 100% for 52 right or wrong.

Last fiddled with by ONeil on 2020-12-11 at 06:48
ONeil is offline  
Old 2020-12-11, 06:52   #4
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

137038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
However we are due for a zero its lined up for one!
What do you base that claim on?

Do you have some solid mathematics behind it, or is it just some "feeling" you have and "just know"?
retina is online now  
Old 2020-12-11, 07:08   #5
ONeil
 
Dec 2017

24·3·5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What do you base that claim on?

Do you have some solid mathematics behind it, or is it just some "feeling" you have and "just know"?

Here is the basic math

24 of the numbers from 51 of them when using minus 1 mod 6 to equal ZERO:

51-24=27

So if 27 of the numbers do not compute to ZERO than I say that the ONeil conjecture should hold for the next exponent equal a ZERO when minus 1 mod 6.

Last fiddled with by ONeil on 2020-12-11 at 07:53
ONeil is offline  
Old 2020-12-11, 07:18   #6
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

137038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
Here is the basic math

24 of the numbers from 51 of them when using minus 1 mod 6 to equal ZERO:

51-24=27

So if 27 of the number do not compute to ZERO than I say that the ONeil conjecture should hold for the next exponent equal a ZERO when minus 1 mod 6.
That isn't mathematics.

That is numerology.

Also, read up on the gambler's fallacy.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-12-11 at 07:19
retina is online now  
Old 2020-12-11, 07:43   #7
ONeil
 
Dec 2017

24·3·5 Posts
Default

The exponents seek to be equal with just under half showing a ZERO when using the minus 1 mod 6 formula. It is because of the number line and that is the reason. Since Perfect numbers must equal the sum of their divisors and the first one is 6 than you should always see about half of the exponents follow the ONeil conjecture where minus 1 mod 6! the numbers shall show up to balance or be over so that ZERO will seek to be half of the exponents to infinity. Yes the number shall get unbalanced like 24 and 27 but we are due for another ZERO now.

My Premise is that ZERO will follow this rule and should seek to even out as many as we find:
ONeil is offline  
Old 2020-12-11, 07:59   #8
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

608310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
The exponents seek to be equal with just under half showing a ZERO when using the minus 1 mod 6 formula. It is because of the number line and that is the reason. Since Perfect numbers must equal the sum of their divisors and the first one is 6 than you should always see about half of the exponents follow the ONeil conjecture where minus 1 mod 6! the numbers shall show up to balance or be over so that ZERO will seek to be half of the exponents to infinity. Yes the number shall get unbalanced like 24 and 27 but we are due for another ZERO now.

My Premise is that ZERO will follow this rule and should seek to even out as many as we find:
Just more numerology.

retina is online now  
Old 2020-12-11, 15:09   #9
mathwiz
 
Mar 2019

24·32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
The exponents seek to be equal with just under half showing a ZERO when using the minus 1 mod 6 formula. It is because of the number line and that is the reason.
You realize this is just you saying that you *want* there to be this perfect symmetry, right? You haven't given any mathematical reason for it to be the case. It could just as well be that 1/3 are 5 mod 6, or 2/3 are, or 1/e, or any other constant.
mathwiz is online now  
Old 2020-12-13, 17:14   #10
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×5×7×31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
The exponents seek to be
<snip>
So, numbers have consciousness, will, volition of their own. Numerology, to be sure.
Dr Sardonicus is offline  
Old 2020-12-14, 07:57   #11
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

597410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeil View Post
However we are due for a zero its lined up for one! The pattern should be 100% for 52 right or wrong.
It's pretty easy to just throw a guess out there. If you're wrong, well, you've been wrong before. If you're right, you'll take it as a sign that there was method in the madness, rather than chance.

But if you say you're 100% sure, I take that to mean you're closer to 100% sure than to 99% sure, so at least 99.5% sure. In that case, if I wagered $20 that the next exponent would be 5 mod 6, you'd be comfortable wagering $4000 against that. Is this really how you feel?
CRGreathouse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mersenne prime exponent not randomly distributed? alpertron Math 78 2019-10-02 14:31
Do-it-yourself, crank, mersenne prediction thread. Uncwilly Miscellaneous Math 85 2017-12-10 16:03
Mersenne Prime Exponent Distribution PawnProver44 Miscellaneous Math 26 2016-03-18 08:48
Fun with the new Mersenne prime exponent ewmayer Lounge 4 2006-09-06 20:57
Mersenne composites (with prime exponent) Dougy Math 4 2005-03-11 12:14

All times are UTC. The time now is 04:36.

Fri Mar 5 04:36:58 UTC 2021 up 92 days, 48 mins, 0 users, load averages: 1.49, 1.59, 1.56

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.