mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2006-11-09, 22:16   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default What (general) advice would you give me about college?

This, by no means, is meant to be a totally serious thread. As a Christian, I by no means intend to make prideful goals of "making lots of money in a rare field," and as a Goatcher(my last name) I intend to stick to my rule of a minimum availability each day of at least 10 solid hours to sleep, and 3-4 hours of Internet/television/(other time-wasters which may or may not have been invented yet).

That being said, I want to get a good college education, though my goal has nothing to do with an actual degree. Rather, I want to take classes having to do with math and computer science mainly, and maybe some general science later.

So, I ask you, if you were a very technically minded person with poor social skills, and wanted to make enough money to allow for the fact that you have absolutely no ability to cook, except for being meticulous about microwave oven times...What type of things would you study?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 00:06   #2
jinydu

Dec 2003
Hopefully Near M48

6DE16 Posts

In my experience, the ability to choose one's course is severely limited by the vast number of general education requirements. Also, 10 hours a day of sleep seems unrealistically optimistic; I consider myself very lucky to get even 8.

Then again, you said that you are not looking for a degree; so your experience may be very different.

Last fiddled with by jinydu on 2006-11-10 at 00:07
jinydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 03:15   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinydu View Post
In my experience, the ability to choose one's course is severely limited by the vast number of general education requirements. Also, 10 hours a day of sleep seems unrealistically optimistic; I consider myself very lucky to get even 8.

Then again, you said that you are not looking for a degree; so your experience may be very different.
I'd like to comment on that, not because I'm offended, but just to clarify.

I suffer from two separate conditions that qualify me as handicapped. Sleep apnea, which basically means my breathing is severely impaired during sleep(because I'm fat) and paranoid skizophrenia, which, while it's helped by medication, still manifests itself as both social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, with more problems being attributed to the social aspect.

As far as the sleep apnea is concerned, it's simply a matter of me finding time to get off my fat butt and walk. As for the anxiety disorder, there's not much I can do for that.
Old 2006-11-10, 21:46   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

It's amazing what actually writing stuff down accomplishes. I went for a walk today for the first time in many months(possibly years) and intend to keep it up. Also, today, at work, I went from my habit of drinking a Dr. Pepper, then tea, then water each day, to drinking sugarless tea with sweet'n'low. I intend to keep that up too.

I finally realize how unacceptable it is to not be able to sleep properly. I may never be considered a thin person, but if I can lose enough to where I sleep properly, it will be worth it.
Old 2006-11-11, 00:13   #5
Phil MjX

Sep 2004

5·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I may never be considered a thin person, but if I can lose enough to where I sleep properly, it will be worth it.
It is worth the pain, I have an uncle in the same case as you (with apnea) and I know it is very very unconfortable not to sleep well... He is 120-130 kg and can't loose weigh even if he makes sport...
Good Luck and keep on walking !
Phil MjX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 04:41   #6
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Just Like to give you one reminder about collage
you are paying for it now

also
take something in teaching you could teach physical ed but you said your not social sooooo
i would do something that involves designing.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-19, 15:38   #7
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Lightbulb Apnea and PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'd like to comment on that, not because I'm offended, but just to clarify.

I suffer from two separate conditions that qualify me as handicapped. Sleep apnea, which basically means my breathing is severely impaired during sleep(because I'm fat) and paranoid skizophrenia, which, while it's helped by medication, still manifests itself as both social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, with more problems being attributed to the social aspect.

As far as the sleep apnea is concerned, it's simply a matter of me finding time to get off my fat butt and walk. As for the anxiety disorder, there's not much I can do for that.
Well Jason, let me tell you in this modern age there's practically no illness that cant be cured if you make up your mind to get out of the rut you have let yourself in.

Over weight is something that you have to make an effort to overcome and that only you can do with a firm determination.

Regards Paranoid schizo ,Transcendental meditation has been proved to be of great benefit. All you have to do is sit comfortably (not lying down) cross your legs if you can and chant silently or audibly the word 'OM' with your eyes closed for a good 20 mins. Repeat the word again and again until it sinks into your system. Dont worry if your attention strays just let it be,
With practice you will get better and better. Dont try to concentrate on the word just repeat it for a full 20 mins not less. Ask someone to time you or use an alarm clock.

Please consult your physician/ shrink if you can take 10 mg. of amytriptiline a day (not a higher dose). It will help your PS and put you to sleep also. It will also give you confidence in your social life.

Kindly PM me and I also have a very good book on Number theory which starts from scratch and is very easy to follow unlike the last one by Apostol which was too difficult for you.

Regards
Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote