mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2018-04-05, 01:52   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts
Default Mandela effect, general discussion and how would you study it scientifically?

I'm sure many of you have heard of the Mandela effect, which is basically the idea that there are multiverses out there very similar to ours, and for some reason, usually the CERN LHC experiments, their reality is bleeding into our own and things are randomly being exchanged back and forth. Another fun wrinkle to this is that it's mostly happening to inanimate objects and not so much to people.

True or not, the videos people post are extremely entertaining. It can be common stuff, like people claiming Chik-Fil-A magically lost its second c, and they totally remember it being there. There was one video I saw where a woman was positive some of her college pictures were from an alternate universe, based on the idea she looked awesome in some pics, and disheveled in others. Heaven forbid someone should suggest that she simply partied a bit without taking off her gown, and that's why she looks terrible.

Anyway, no judgement, but does anyone have their own Madela effect stories? And, there's that second question, if you were tasked with studying the Mandela effect scientifically, what would you do? In my case, I'd start in the area around where the Large Hadron Collider is located, the assumption being that if that is the cause than the people in that area should be going nuts over all the changes happening.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 13:17   #2
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

5·349 Posts

There are relevant scientific books, for example:
Recovered memories and false memories
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 13:49   #3
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·32·349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There are relevant scientific books, for example:
Recovered memories and false memories
No. It is so much easier to simply blame something or someone else, than to admit that one is somehow flawed. It is the modern way of doing things in a modern world. It is always someone else fault and it is just a matter of finding the right people to sue and make some money.

An alternative explanation is that if I don't understand it, or I don't remember it, then it must be god, or another universe, or aliens, or some other thing that can't be proved wrong.

[/sarcasm]

But seriously; how would you be able to tell if a particle is from another universe? Is there some property that can be measured to show some difference? On a Star Trek episode they talked about the quantum signature being different in each parallel reality, so maybe we can measure that?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 16:42   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×5,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
But seriously; how would you be able to tell if a particle is from another universe? Is there some property that can be measured to show some difference? On a Star Trek episode they talked about the quantum signature being different in each parallel reality, so maybe we can measure that?
The Gods Themselves by Asimov includes a measurable property. Anathem by Stephenson is closely similiar in this respect, though very different in others.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 17:51   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

37×269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Anathem by Stephenson is closely similiar in this respect, though very different in others.
Indeed, and a long and boring read.

One of Pratchett's last books, The Long Earth (co-written with Baxter) similarly examined parallel universes, and was so boring I didn't actually finish it.

For the record, I'm a huge Pratchett fan, and have purchased (and at least tried to read) every single one of his books. Good Omens (co-written with Gaiman) is fall-out-of-bed funny!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 21:04   #6
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post

One of Pratchett's last books, The Long Earth (co-written with Baxter) similarly examined parallel universes, and was so boring I didn't actually finish it.

For the record, I'm a huge Pratchett fan, and have purchased (and at least tried to read) every single one of his books. Good Omens (co-written with Gaiman) is fall-out-of-bed funny!
I must disagree with respect to Anathem. I would say that it has so many differences to elucidate that it a very slow start. It took me a long way into the book to grasp what was going on. I do think that the ideas and social structures involved are interesting. Besides, it is Stephenson. Our take on his work is that he does great adventure, but has trouble with good endings. Dan terms his works "romps." One of my brothers curses "Crytonomicon" for "too damn many coincidences."
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 22:50   #7
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

233418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
One of my brothers curses "Crytonomicon" for "too damn many coincidences."
And your thoughts wrt Pratchett?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-06, 01:23   #8
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post

I am not sure I have read anything by Pratchett. We haven't bought many books around here, lately. So much stuff exists on the web, and I am not exactly flush, ATM.

What I am doing is reading Robert Parry's Trick or Treason, on Reagan operatives setting up arms deals for the Iranians, if they would delay the release of the hostages. For more entertaining fare, I am re-reading The Golden Globe by John Varley, for the 2nd or 3rd time. Talk about a romp!
Old 2018-04-06, 01:28   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×32×349 Posts

And I thought that "another universe" would necessarily imply that we can't interact with it in any way; by definition. So if we can exchange particles or information with another universe then it is really just another part of our own universe.
Old 2018-04-06, 01:31   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
And I thought that "another universe" would necessarily imply that we can't interact with it in any way; by definition. So if we can exchange particles or information with another universe then it is really just another part of our own universe.
Err... Semi-permeable membrane?
Old 2018-04-06, 01:34   #11
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

628210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Err... Semi-permeable membrane?
Isn't that just something that creates a division between two parts of the same universe.