mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-01-20, 22:31   #441
dleclair
 
dleclair's Avatar
 
Mar 2003

10011012 Posts
Default

NPR
dleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 00:51   #442
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100111001011002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
The surprising bit were the 2300+ DC exponents assigned to new users, anywhere from 39.5M up to just below 44M. Those have a better chance of finishing since the time involved is smaller. DC is pretty far behind the first-time checks so fingers crossed that helps clear the backlog a tiny bit.
Also, since they are so much faster, they should see results in a more reasonable time. This would encourage them to stick around.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 00:55   #443
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

256716 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclair View Post
NPR
Quote:
Curiously, Cooper says that the computer's notification system also failed the four other times it found a record number.
"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 01:15   #444
cuBerBruce
 
cuBerBruce's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Mass., USA

4768 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Sure, one worker with one core could probably test M49 faster than a month, but what if you had 4 workers each testing exponents around that same size? Still < 1 month for each of them?
Yep. I tried running four M49-size exponents at the same time, each using one core. The ETAs were 29-30 days. When running fewer than four, the speed (per exponent) went up. With 3 exponents at 1 core each, I was getting 23-24 days for the ETAs. For 1 exponent on 1 core, the ETA was down to about 16.5 days.
cuBerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 01:16   #445
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!
 
Dubslow's Avatar
 
"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuBerBruce View Post
Yep. I tried running four M49-size exponents at the same time, each using one core. The ETAs were 29-30 days. When running fewer than four, the speed (per exponent) went up. With 3 exponents at 1 core each, I was getting 23-24 days for the ETAs. For 1 exponent on 1 core, the ETA was down to about 16.5 days.
Massive, massive memory bottleneck. Quite a shame, really.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 01:32   #446
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

34×112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclair View Post
Quote:
If you printed each digit 1 mm wide [of the 22 million digits number], the number would stretch for more than a half marathon's 13.2 miles.
This guy even can't count! That is a full marathon number! And a little bit more.

The real utility of such big primes, and the extraordinarily rewarding part of searching for them, is that when one is found, you can laugh the lungs out of you reading what some idiots comment on the web...

(yeah, I know some other sites show a comment similar to this, but is not plagiarized from there, it was me who put it there too!)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-01-21 at 01:33
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 01:51   #447
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!
 
Dubslow's Avatar
 
"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
This guy even can't count! That is a full marathon number! And a little bit more.

The real utility of such big primes, and the extraordinarily rewarding part of searching for them, is that when one is found, you can laugh the lungs out of you reading what some idiots comment on the web...

(yeah, I know some other sites show a comment similar to this, but is not plagiarized from there, it was me who put it there too!)
A full marathon is more than 26 miles. A half marathon is 13.1 miles, which is 21.4 kilometers, and at 1mm digits the prime is 22.3 kilometers long, so aside from being less than .1 mile off, the statement you quote is correct.

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2016-01-21 at 01:54
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 02:01   #448
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
A full marathon is more than 26 miles. A half marathon is 13.1 miles, which is 21.4 kilometers, and at 1mm digits the prime is 22.3 kilometers long, so aside from being less than .1 mile off, the statement you quote is correct.
I walked, wii fit free "ran" and paced 19.9 km one day it's quite far I could do about 2.5 laps of my neighbourhood with that distance.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 02:06   #449
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2·73·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
This guy even can't count! That is a full marathon number! And a little bit more.

The real utility of such big primes, and the extraordinarily rewarding part of searching for them, is that when one is found, you can laugh the lungs out of you reading what some idiots comment on the web...
LaurV is latest victim of the quick-maths analog of the "You shoud lern too spell before opening your mouth, maroon!" effect. :) Happened to me just last night, literally while waiting for my post on "estimated odds of finding another M-prime between the largest 2" to go through, I realized I'd neglected to account for the fact that most of the candidates in that range have already been TF-eliminated or 1st-time-LL-tested.

BTW, the OMG-I-am-an-idiot headslap moment one frequently has just after clicking "submit" on a numbers-involving post has a formal name: "the aftermath".
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 02:08   #450
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!
 
Dubslow's Avatar
 
"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
LaurV is latest victim of the quick-maths analog of the "You shoud lern too spell before opening your mouth, maroon!" effect. :) Happened to me just last night, literally while waiting for my post on "estimated odds of finding another M-prime between the largest 2" to go through, I realized I'd neglected to account for the fact that most of the candidates in that range have already been TF-eliminated or 1st-time-LL-tested.

BTW, the OMG-I-am-an-idiot headslap moment one frequently has just after clicking "submit" on a numbers-involving post has a formal name: "the aftermath".
It happens to me on far more things than just numbers
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 02:36   #451
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

37·79 Posts
Default

Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Bitcoins Prime Related a1call Miscellaneous Math 26 2021-03-18 14:18
Merry Christmas and a prime! (M50 related) Prime95 News 505 2020-01-18 01:03
Oops i did it again. (Prime found) ltd Prime Sierpinski Project 21 2006-01-04 14:50
Another new prime (M42-Related) Uncwilly News 132 2005-05-10 19:47
some prime-related trick questions ixfd64 Puzzles 2 2003-09-23 12:53

All times are UTC. The time now is 19:55.


Thu Oct 28 19:55:47 UTC 2021 up 97 days, 14:24, 0 users, load averages: 2.23, 2.44, 2.47

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.