mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2010-09-06, 15:06   #1
Unregistered

2·5·17·41 Posts
Angry HELP!! Can't Log In to mersenneforum

Hello,

There seems to be something wrong with the forum login today (Sept. 6). I went in to reply to a forum message, but every time I enter my username and password, I'm getting asked for it again.

I've done this now half a dozen times, making darn sure that I type everything correctly. I even left the reply function in order to enter the "normal" way via the little boxes on the upper right, but in that case nothing happens -- my name doesn't show up on the page. And so I can't reply to forum posts (other than in this section).

What's going on?

Rodrigo
Old 2010-09-06, 15:26   #2
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2×467 Posts

I don't know what might be going on, but you were able to log in through another computer. Shut down your PC, restart it, and see what happens. Maybe that'll clear the memory or something.

R
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 15:30   #3
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

16468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I don't know what might be going on, but you were able to log in through another computer. Shut down your PC, restart it, and see what happens. Maybe that'll clear the memory or something.

R
Thank you, that worked. I still wonder what might have caused that; very strange. I logged in last night, left the PC on overnight without making any changes to it, and then today all of a sudden I can't log in through it.

Anyway, problem solved -- for now!

Rodrigo
Old 2010-09-06, 15:33   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3·2,039 Posts

Eh? Who posted message #2?

Rodrigo, you appear to be talking to yourself!
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 15:59   #5
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2×19×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Eh? Who posted message #2?

Rodrigo, you appear to be talking to yourself!
Two users using the same account? The signatures don't match...
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 16:21   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I went in to reply to a forum message, but every time I enter my username and password, I'm getting asked for it again.
This happens anytime I've turned off cookies in my browser or, more frequently and indirectly, made some change to my security software that has an unintended-by-me result of disabling cookies for mersenneforum.org.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I logged in last night, left the PC on overnight without making any changes to it, and then today all of a sudden I can't log in through it.
Might you have made a late-night security software change, but then didn't recall doing so after you woke the next day? Or made a change inadvertently by (sleepily?) pressing the wrong key at the wrong time?

Perhaps the success after restarting shows that whatever security change you made was temporary.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 17:12   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Two users using the same account? The signatures don't match...
It's definitely not a "cloning" issue like happened here a while back--the user IDs are the same when you hold your mouse over the usernames.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 18:15   #8
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2×467 Posts
Wink It was me both times

@retina
@EdH,

Yes, it was me every time. Since I couldn't log in via my main computer, I tried my laptop and it worked -- which told me that the problem was at the client end and not at the server end. The posts that followed were to describe what was happening, in case somebody could figure it out.

I'd like to say that I'm leading a "double life," but the way I handled it was just a bit of fancy. Sorry for the confusion!!

Rodrigo
Old 2010-09-06, 18:24   #9
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

16468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
This happens anytime I've turned off cookies in my browser or, more frequently and indirectly, made some change to my security software that has an unintended-by-me result of disabling cookies for mersenneforum.org.

Might you have made a late-night security software change, but then didn't recall doing so after you woke the next day? Or made a change inadvertently by (sleepily?) pressing the wrong key at the wrong time?

Perhaps the success after restarting shows that whatever security change you made was temporary.
cheesehead,

Ever since I signed up this PC for GIMPS, I've been leaving it running overnight. I have Norton 360 for security and it often starts "automatic idle time scans" when there's nothing else going on. But this is the first time that mersenneforum.org login has been affected. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

It was weird. If I tried to log in the usual way, I would get the brief "thank you for logging in" screen, but then when the forum page came back, my name wouldn't show up, as if I hadn't logged in at all.

My first thought was that it might be another humorous prank by the forum gods, like the "do you want to delete a random account?" box when you log out. So I guess that that put me in a bit of a fanciful mood as I reported on the progress with the various postings. Sorry for causing such confusion!

Rodrigo