mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2004-09-25, 06:58   #1
louis_net

Jun 2004

2·7 Posts
Lightbulb Diskless Boot For Windows

Anyone know any way to diskless boot a farm using windows?
louis_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-25, 11:41   #2
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

3×17×23 Posts

The only way I know of to diskless boot Windows is using a CD. You can prepare a special CD boot version of Windows that contains whatever software you have (like Prime95) using this:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

But that would require you have a CD for each of your farm machines.

Jeff.
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-25, 12:06   #3
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gilchrist
The only way I know of to diskless boot Windows is using a CD. You can prepare a special CD boot version of Windows that contains whatever software you have (like Prime95) using this:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

But that would require you have a CD for each of your farm machines.

Jeff.
Not to mention a separate license for each machine. A saw another tutorial online once about how to make Windows 98 boot disklessly, but it was pretty complicated and also required a license for each machine.

For diskless booting of farm machines, Linux is the way to go. Prime Monster wrote up a "how-to" guide on modding LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) for farming. It wasn't too complicated; I got my farm up and running and I'm a Linux newbie. His site's been down for a while but a while back I salvaged the stuff he wrote and attached it to a post in a ZIP file.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 16:57   #4
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

3×17×23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeCruncher
Not to mention a separate license for each machine. A saw another tutorial online once about how to make Windows 98 boot disklessly, but it was pretty complicated and also required a license for each machine.
Right, but that is implied with Windows. If you have a farm of disk-based machines running Windows, you would need a license for each machine as well. So if you are going to remove the disks, you would still have the licenses for all those machines, assuming it was a legal setup in the first place.

I agree with you that going Linux is much better for a diskless farm.

Jeff.
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 01:19   #5
nomadicus

Jan 2003
North Carolina

3668 Posts

Do you have to have a seperate lic for each Win98 machine on each CD?

What if you have 3 machines and 1 CD (actually 3 copies of the same CD)? This assumes you have embedded the lic in the CD you create. This would put one Win98 lic to use on all 3 machines. But, as long as you hold the paper for 3 seperate lics, that makes it legit. Right? I would think that would pass an audit.

I know this works for my HP (non-windows) machines I admin at work.

Last fiddled with by nomadicus on 2004-09-28 at 01:21
nomadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 02:03   #6
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2×33×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicus
Do you have to have a seperate lic for each Win98 machine on each CD?

What if you have 3 machines and 1 CD (actually 3 copies of the same CD)? This assumes you have embedded the lic in the CD you create. This would put one Win98 lic to use on all 3 machines. But, as long as you hold the paper for 3 seperate lics, that makes it legit. Right? I would think that would pass an audit.

I know this works for my HP (non-windows) machines I admin at work.

I think that would be fine. Basically as long as you paid for each license...
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 10:04   #7
vivigatt

100000111112 Posts
Default Windows Diskless boot

Hi

Qualystem Technology provides Windows diskless boot utilities.

Diskless boot off a CD/DVD or off a LAN Server.

There are free versions of the Windows 9X diskless boot tools on www.qualystem.com.
I ran successfully some "mersenne applications" on such diskless nodes.

No technical issues running several diskless nodes off the same CD/DVD (or copies of it) or off the same HD image on the network (shared image). Legally speaking, you need valid Windows licences for all your nodes that run Windows, whether they are diskless or not

HTH

Last fiddled with by vivigatt on 2004-11-16 at 10:05
Old 2004-11-16, 13:30   #8
TTn

23×3×7×19 Posts
Thumbs up

vivigatt wrote, Legally speaking, you need valid Windows licences for all your nodes that run Windows, whether they are diskless or not

Incomplete answer.
Read the NFR article, article 8, and 12 in the EULA's.(VS2003, Win2000v5)
You can use the software for demo, test, or evaluation purposes.
This EULA states: It over-rides any future agreements, made with sp's etc.

Since number crunching is testing the software, as well as hardware....
Other use, of the software not pertaining, would constitute a breach of the EULA. One could argue that a machine(providng you are crunching...) can test for an indefinate amount of time.
Old 2004-11-16, 14:28   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×72×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTn
vivigatt wrote, Legally speaking, you need valid Windows licences for all your nodes that run Windows, whether they are diskless or not

Incomplete answer.
Read the NFR article, article 8, and 12 in the EULA's.(VS2003, Win2000v5)
You can use the software for demo, test, or evaluation purposes.
This EULA states: It over-rides any future agreements, made with sp's etc.

Since number crunching is testing the software, as well as hardware....
Other use, of the software not pertaining, would constitute a breach of the EULA. One could argue that a machine(providng you are crunching...) can test for an indefinate amount of time.
I would strongly recommend that no-one should rely on TTn for legal advice on this matter.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-17, 05:26   #10
TTn

22×1,087 Posts
Default blah

I would strongly recommend that no-one should rely on Paul for any advice on this matter. Since he worked for microsoft, his opinion is compromised.

Paul,
I am completely correct in my statements, if you'd even bother to check the EULA.
Old 2004-11-17, 09:33   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·72·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTn
I would strongly recommend that no-one should rely on Paul for any advice on this matter. Since he worked for microsoft, his opinion is compromised.

Paul,
I am completely correct in my statements, if you'd even bother to check the EULA.
I agree, you are capable of quoting the EULA verbatim.

I strongly disagree that you are competent, in a sense that would stand up in court, to interpret the EULA and to give advice on what constitutes "testing" within the context of the EULA.

However, I am not a lawyer (though I have spent many hours in the company of members of the MS Legal team) and anyone who wishes to ignore my advice is, of course, free to do so. I disclaim any and all responsibility for the consequences.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote