Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2003-09-13, 19:39   #1
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22·691 Posts
Default Need some help!

Hi Folks,
Sorry if this is off-topic but I am having some problem with my Inspiron laptop. It works on the battery but the AC power doesn't seem to function or charge the battery. The light on the adapter comes on so I'm assuming the adapter itself is okay but when I plug it in it won't charge the battery. When the AC cord is pluged in and the battery isn't, if I press the power switch the three leds (num lock, caps lock etc.) and the power led flash for about 1 second and then go off.

Any hints on what might be the problem?
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-14, 02:23   #2
QuintLeo

Oct 2002
Lost in the hills of Iowa

26×7 Posts

It sounds like your adapter IS in fact not working right.

Just 'cause the LED comes on doesn't mean it's putting out ENOUGH current to run your laptop.

MIght be something in the internal-to-the- laptop power circutry, though.

Any way you could get another adapter long enough to check?
QuintLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-14, 02:29   #3
nomadicus

Jan 2003
North Carolina

2×3×41 Posts
Default Re: Need some help!

Quote:
Originally posted by garo
Hi Folks,
Sorry if this is off-topic but I am having some problem with my Inspiron laptop. It works on the battery but the AC power doesn't seem to function or charge the battery. The light on the adapter comes on so I'm assuming the adapter itself is okay but when I plug it in it won't charge the battery. When the AC cord is pluged in and the battery isn't, if I press the power switch the three leds (num lock, caps lock etc.) and the power led flash for about 1 second and then go off.

Any hints on what might be the problem?
I have a Inspiron 5100 running XP Home edition -- hopefully the same or close enough to yours . . .
If XP can see it charging, the systray battery icon says "xx% remaining (charging)" Check to see if you have that.

Does the right most green led (along the front edge of the laptop), the one that has the battery symbol next to it, flash a) slow, b) fast, c) solid, or d) none of the above?
I'm draining my battery to see if I notice anything else.
-=- john

Last fiddled with by nomadicus on 2003-09-14 at 02:30
nomadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-09-14, 04:27   #4
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22×691 Posts

Well the power adapter may indeed still be the problem. I will borrow a friend's power supply to see if that will work.

When I connect the AC power and the battery is not connected if I press the power switch the power LED comes on for a second and then goes off.

I guess the first step is to try with a new power adapter.
Old 2003-09-14, 22:44   #5
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

22·691 Posts

The adapter was the problem indeed. However, now I have another problem. I had disassembled the computer and now after putting it back together I find that the touchpad/buttons are not working. An external mouse is working though. I assume I did not make sure all the contact points were seated correctly. Oh well will try again later.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2003-09-14 at 22:46