mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2005-11-02, 14:33   #1
ThiloHarich

Nov 2005

101 Posts
Default Understandable QS java Implementation

Hi I’am a novice and I’have got a few novice questions:

1) Is there a java Implementation which is understandable?
I know http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM and a less advanced try http://www-fs.informatik.uni-tuebing...r/QuadAlg.html. These Implementations consist basically of one big static method. I wrote an OO-Implementation of QS. So the implementation of LPQS was just overriding a few methods. Now I want to switch to SIQS. But I’m still trying to understand it.

2) I wrote a variant which stops after sieving with all factors except the last k (say 35). Then only if the length of the remaining y (after the subtracting of factor length) is greater then a certain threshold (the QS threshold + k +3), sieving with the remaining factors is done. After sieving with a factor the length will be checked again (k has changed). In http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~carlp/PDF/paper52.pdf a similar idea is mentioned.
In http://aux.planetmath.org/files/papers/235/mpqs.ps it is written that this idea only saves 20% Time. In my Implementation it saves 50% at 30 Digit numbers, while LPQS only saves 30%. I know that DLPQS will be fast only for very huge N. Does LPQS reach its advantages of saving over 50% only at bigger numbers?
ThiloHarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-02, 14:57   #2
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiloHarich
I don't know about Java, but a well-documented tiny QS implementation in C can be found at www.boo.net/~jasonp/ksieve001.tar.gz. It's an SIQS implementation in a single file.

Quote:
I know that DLPQS will be fast only for very huge N. Does LPQS reach its advantages of saving over 50% only at bigger numbers?
The crossover point for two large primes being more efficient is about 85 digits for msieve; people here don't consider that huge at all :)

The savings you get from LPQS will depend heavily on parameter choices in your implementation. For msieve the 50% figure happens at ~70 digits; for smaller sizes 40% faster is common. The tiny QS implementation above uses parameters that save 30-45% when using large primes for inputs of ~116 bits

jasonp
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-02, 15:31   #3
ThiloHarich

Nov 2005

11001012 Posts

Thank you jasonp,

I just downloaded the sources.

In the papers I read so far I havent found how much faster the SIQS/MPQS is compared to the standard QS. But since the MPQS very often hits a smooth number compared with the standard QS it might be more then a linear factor. Are there any resluts?
Old 2005-11-02, 17:25   #4
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

1101110101112 Posts

Quote:
Thank you jasonp,

In the papers I read so far I havent found how much faster the SIQS/MPQS is compared to the standard QS. But since the MPQS very often hits a smooth number compared with the standard QS it might be more then a linear factor.
It's typically a factor of 6x - 10x faster. Even better, the relations accumulate at a constant rate instead of dropping off over time.

If performance is a concern you basically have to use multiple polynomials.

jasonp
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-02, 17:40   #5
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1D2416 Posts

Quote:
Thank you jasonp,

In the papers I read so far I havent found how much faster the SIQS/MPQS is compared to the standard QS. But since the MPQS very often hits a smooth number compared with the standard QS it might be more then a linear factor. Are there any resluts?

My 1987 paper in Math. Comp. "The Multiple Polynomial Quadratic Sieve"
will give a novice all the information needed to implement the single large
prime version of the algorithm. The paper does require knowing a little
bit of elementary number theory (e.g. you need to know what a quadratic
residue is)

I also gives a comparison to the single polynomial version.

Mathematics of Computation is widely distributed. Any college library will
carry it.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-03, 07:38   #6
ThiloHarich

Nov 2005

101 Posts

I left the town were i have been studying. I only got bad access to paper libraies.
Is there still no proof on the deterministic runtime of QS?
Old 2005-11-03, 11:23   #7
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
I left the town were i have been studying. I only got bad access to paper libraies.
Is there still no proof on the deterministic runtime of QS?
There is still one unproven assumption: The norms that arise from
the range of a quadratic polynomial have the same statistical smoothness
properties as random integers.

The same obstacle applies (although for higher degree polynomials) for NFS.
Old 2005-11-03, 11:36   #8
alpertron

Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

101010101102 Posts

In my factoring applet the #1 design objective was speed. All other features were secondary, including program readability if that was against running time.

That's why the applet is not OOP-oriented. In this way no objects have to be created and destroyed, which takes a lot of time.

Of course you can do an OOP-oriented factoring applet, but I think that it will run two or three times slower than a program that uses arrays to store data.

OOP in Java is great for serving Web pages but totally wrong for this kind of programs.
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-03, 11:44   #9
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpertron
In my factoring applet the #1 design objective was speed. All other features were secondary, including program readability if that was against running time.

That's why the applet is not OOP-oriented. In this way no objects have to be created and destroyed, which takes a lot of time.

Of course you can do an OOP-oriented factoring applet, but I think that it will run two or three times slower than a program that uses arrays to store data.

OOP in Java is great for serving Web pages but totally wrong for this kind of programs.

AMEN!!!!
Old 2005-11-03, 13:12   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

47×229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpertron
"Totally wrong" is stating it a little too strongly in my opinion.

I can think of two reasons for writing an OOP implementation of MPQS. The first is if you are trying to learn how to write non-trivial OOP programs and need to code some algorithm for practice. Almost invariably it's better for a student to code something they find personally interesting than some arbitrary exercise from a book.

The second is if you intend your program to be used for pedagogical purposes. As alpertron says, production code is frequently optimised to the point of incomprehensibility. A clearly written though not particularly fast reference implementation of anything non-trivial is of great value.

Remember the original post which started thus:
Quote:
Hi I’am a novice and I’have got a few novice questions:

That said, I strongly agree that with current OOP languages and compiler technology, OOP is a seriously bad idea for production code.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-03, 13:21   #11
Chris Card

Aug 2004

2028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman

That said, I strongly agree that with current OOP languages and compiler technology, OOP is a seriously bad idea for production code.

Paul
In Java maybe, but well-written C++ code can be just as fast as C, while still using OOP. Of course, it's still possible to argue about what you mean by OOP
:-)

Chris
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote