mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-07-06, 03:27   #1
Unregistered
 

2·32·103 Posts
Default Running factoring on one computer

I know a similar question has been asked, but I can't find the exact response. This is what I want to do:

Either:
Run trial factoring and stage 1 P-1 factoring on one computer, and then run stage 2 and LL test on another.
Or:
Run just trial factoring on one computer, and then run stage 1 and 2 P-1 factoring and LL test on another

The computers are networked running Windows 2000/XP.

How do I do either of those things?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-06, 03:36   #2
Unregistered
 

22×472 Posts
Default

go with option 2 it would require some labor to do it the first way if i were you use the fastest clocked comp to do tf and the slower of the 2 to so p1 also if you dont have identical ammounts of ram use the computer with the most ram
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-06, 03:43   #3
Unregistered
 

49810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
go with option 2 it would require some labor to do it the first way if i were you use the fastest clocked comp to do tf and the slower of the 2 to so p1 also if you dont have identical ammounts of ram use the computer with the most ram
Well my hardware specs are:
Computer doing LL: Fast, bunch of memory
Computer doing factoring: slow, little memory
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-06, 03:54   #4
Unregistered
 

24D16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
go with option 2 it would require some labor to do it the first way if i were you use the fastest clocked comp to do tf and the slower of the 2 to so p1 also if you dont have identical ammounts of ram use the computer with the most ram
Really I still need to know HOW to do it, whichever way I do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 04:53   #5
Unregistered
 

5×1,777 Posts
Default

Does no one know how to do this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 11:14   #6
Mystwalker
 
Mystwalker's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3×277 Posts
Default

Do you reserve the exponents via PrimeNet or do you test them manually?

In the latter case, you can just enter it in the worktodo.ini file (Pminus1 is for P-1 factoring, I sadly don't know the command for trial factoring).
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 11:28   #7
marc
 
marc's Avatar
 
Jun 2004
UK

139 Posts
Default

Just run 2 copies of prime95/mprime. If you leave them to run themselves then they'll automatically pick up the best work.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 05:00   #8
Unregistered
 

22×5×383 Posts
Default

OK either no one is understanding me or I am not understanding you. This is the scenario.

I HAVE exponents. I reserve them through Primenet. I want one of my computers to do the trial factoring on those exponents, and if no factor is found I want ANOTHER computer to do the P-1 factoring and LL tesing.

Can someone tell me if they at least understand what I mean or what they think I mean?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 05:44   #9
markr
 
markr's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

3·191 Posts
Default

If you have an assignment like Test=34xxxxxx,62,0 (in your LL computer's worktodo.ini), then you can give your factoring computer a line in its worktodo.ini like
Factor=34xxxxxx,62

The catch might be in reporting the factoring result to primenet... I'd be careful about what is in the factorer's worktodo at that point. For instance, what would happen if there were Factor= lines for exponents that primenet knew were assigned as LL? To be safe, maybe temporarily remove unofficial lines while reporting (use manual communication: under the advanced menu) & then put them back.

Any comments from people who know primenet's behaviour better?
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 07:04   #10
dave_0273
 
dave_0273's Avatar
 
Oct 2003
Australia, Brisbane

2·5·47 Posts
Default

The only way that I know to do what you are asking is to do it manually.


1) Reserve the exponents from primenet. (which you have already done).
2) Change all of the exponents from test= lines into factor=lines (simply replace "test" with "factor"
3) When all exponents have finished being factored, manually comunicate with primenet.
4) Either when they are all finished, or as each exponent is finished place the exponents in the second computers worktodo file as a test= line again, making sure that you put in the new factoring bit into the worktodo line otherwise it will want to do it again.
5) When the LL test is finished, manually connect to primenet again.

A couple of things to consider, unless your first computer is significantly slower than your LL test computer, the LL test computer could become a "bottleneck" (for lack of a better word).

Also, unless you are getting 33M+ exponents, most of them will already be factored up to primenets limit.

Also, make sure that you are getting exponents to LL test on your first computer. Don't get factoring exponents because then the server will only expect for you to factor them.
dave_0273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 16:53   #11
Unregistered
 

260116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_0273
The only way that I know to do what you are asking is to do it manually.


1) Reserve the exponents from primenet. (which you have already done).
2) Change all of the exponents from test= lines into factor=lines (simply replace "test" with "factor"
3) When all exponents have finished being factored, manually comunicate with primenet.
4) Either when they are all finished, or as each exponent is finished place the exponents in the second computers worktodo file as a test= line again, making sure that you put in the new factoring bit into the worktodo line otherwise it will want to do it again.
5) When the LL test is finished, manually connect to primenet again.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed. If my factoring computer finds a factor of Mp, will the corresponding exponent automatically get deleted from my LL computer?

Quote:
A couple of things to consider, unless your first computer is significantly slower than your LL test computer, the LL test computer could become a "bottleneck" (for lack of a better word).
Not significantly slower, but running less frequently.

Quote:
Also, unless you are getting 33M+ exponents, most of them will already be factored up to primenets limit.
They are 33M+ exponents

Quote:
Also, make sure that you are getting exponents to LL test on your first computer. Don't get factoring exponents because then the server will only expect for you to factor them.
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adding a computer running mprime Unregistered Information & Answers 14 2009-02-16 14:01
how to tell if prime is running on a remote computer crash893 Software 5 2005-09-12 13:26
Does running GIMPS hurt your computer? Zeta-Flux Hardware 4 2005-08-22 15:25
running mprime on a computer I do not own happyraul Software 4 2004-05-06 15:54
computer seems to LAg when Prime95 is running Firedog18 Hardware 2 2003-07-25 22:03

All times are UTC. The time now is 05:29.


Sun Aug 1 05:29:42 UTC 2021 up 8 days, 23:58, 0 users, load averages: 0.88, 1.18, 1.24

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.