mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2005-07-06, 03:27   #1
Unregistered

2·32·103 Posts
Default Running factoring on one computer

I know a similar question has been asked, but I can't find the exact response. This is what I want to do:

Either:
Run trial factoring and stage 1 P-1 factoring on one computer, and then run stage 2 and LL test on another.
Or:
Run just trial factoring on one computer, and then run stage 1 and 2 P-1 factoring and LL test on another

The computers are networked running Windows 2000/XP.

How do I do either of those things?
Old 2005-07-06, 03:36   #2
Unregistered

22×472 Posts

go with option 2 it would require some labor to do it the first way if i were you use the fastest clocked comp to do tf and the slower of the 2 to so p1 also if you dont have identical ammounts of ram use the computer with the most ram
Old 2005-07-06, 03:43   #3
Unregistered

49810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
go with option 2 it would require some labor to do it the first way if i were you use the fastest clocked comp to do tf and the slower of the 2 to so p1 also if you dont have identical ammounts of ram use the computer with the most ram
Well my hardware specs are:
Computer doing LL: Fast, bunch of memory
Computer doing factoring: slow, little memory
Old 2005-07-06, 03:54   #4
Unregistered

24D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Really I still need to know HOW to do it, whichever way I do it.
Old 2005-07-07, 04:53   #5
Unregistered

5×1,777 Posts

Does no one know how to do this?
Old 2005-07-07, 11:14   #6
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3×277 Posts

Do you reserve the exponents via PrimeNet or do you test them manually?

In the latter case, you can just enter it in the worktodo.ini file (Pminus1 is for P-1 factoring, I sadly don't know the command for trial factoring).
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 11:28   #7
marc

Jun 2004
UK

139 Posts

Just run 2 copies of prime95/mprime. If you leave them to run themselves then they'll automatically pick up the best work.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 05:00   #8
Unregistered

22×5×383 Posts

OK either no one is understanding me or I am not understanding you. This is the scenario.

I HAVE exponents. I reserve them through Primenet. I want one of my computers to do the trial factoring on those exponents, and if no factor is found I want ANOTHER computer to do the P-1 factoring and LL tesing.

Can someone tell me if they at least understand what I mean or what they think I mean?
Old 2005-07-08, 05:44   #9
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

3·191 Posts

If you have an assignment like Test=34xxxxxx,62,0 (in your LL computer's worktodo.ini), then you can give your factoring computer a line in its worktodo.ini like
Factor=34xxxxxx,62

The catch might be in reporting the factoring result to primenet... I'd be careful about what is in the factorer's worktodo at that point. For instance, what would happen if there were Factor= lines for exponents that primenet knew were assigned as LL? To be safe, maybe temporarily remove unofficial lines while reporting (use manual communication: under the advanced menu) & then put them back.

Any comments from people who know primenet's behaviour better?
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 07:04   #10
dave_0273

Oct 2003
Australia, Brisbane

2·5·47 Posts

The only way that I know to do what you are asking is to do it manually.

1) Reserve the exponents from primenet. (which you have already done).
2) Change all of the exponents from test= lines into factor=lines (simply replace "test" with "factor"
3) When all exponents have finished being factored, manually comunicate with primenet.
4) Either when they are all finished, or as each exponent is finished place the exponents in the second computers worktodo file as a test= line again, making sure that you put in the new factoring bit into the worktodo line otherwise it will want to do it again.
5) When the LL test is finished, manually connect to primenet again.

A couple of things to consider, unless your first computer is significantly slower than your LL test computer, the LL test computer could become a "bottleneck" (for lack of a better word).

Also, unless you are getting 33M+ exponents, most of them will already be factored up to primenets limit.

Also, make sure that you are getting exponents to LL test on your first computer. Don't get factoring exponents because then the server will only expect for you to factor them.
dave_0273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 16:53   #11
Unregistered

260116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_0273
The only way that I know to do what you are asking is to do it manually.

1) Reserve the exponents from primenet. (which you have already done).
2) Change all of the exponents from test= lines into factor=lines (simply replace "test" with "factor"
3) When all exponents have finished being factored, manually comunicate with primenet.
4) Either when they are all finished, or as each exponent is finished place the exponents in the second computers worktodo file as a test= line again, making sure that you put in the new factoring bit into the worktodo line otherwise it will want to do it again.
5) When the LL test is finished, manually connect to primenet again.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed. If my factoring computer finds a factor of Mp, will the corresponding exponent automatically get deleted from my LL computer?

Quote:
A couple of things to consider, unless your first computer is significantly slower than your LL test computer, the LL test computer could become a "bottleneck" (for lack of a better word).
Not significantly slower, but running less frequently.

Quote:
Also, unless you are getting 33M+ exponents, most of them will already be factored up to primenets limit.
They are 33M+ exponents

Quote:
Also, make sure that you are getting exponents to LL test on your first computer. Don't get factoring exponents because then the server will only expect for you to factor them.
Thanks.