mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > NFSNET Discussion

Old 2005-06-12, 18:57   #1
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts
Default Stats question

Hello,

Why do you have a stats page for each number? Isn't better to merge all stats page into one. I think that would attract more people to the project and big battles would take place.
Carlos
Old 2005-06-12, 23:42   #2
Wacky

Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

108910 Posts

Would you like to design one?

Seriously, there have been a few who claimed that they wanted to do so, but they have never been heard from again.

We already have a mechanism (WU's) to fairly equate equivalent effort on various projects.

The biggest difficulty has to do with data retention/consolidation. We have already had to remove the data from older projects because of lack of space on the public server.
Old 2005-06-13, 07:48   #3
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

24·7·43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky
Seriously, there have been a few who claimed that they wanted to do so, but they have never been heard from again.
I apologize, as I was one

It's not easy to design a project having constraints with the resources. I had to rethink my first draft keeping in mind such constraints, but time has run faster than me

Anyway, I still have all the documents and the exchanged messages, and hope I'll recheck them soon.

Luigi
Old 2005-06-13, 09:31   #4
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2×5×283 Posts

Quote:
Would you like to design one?

We already have a mechanism (WU's) to fairly equate equivalent effort on various projects.

The biggest difficulty has to do with data retention/consolidation. We have already had to remove the data from older projects because of lack of space on the public server.
That first question won't take you anywhere. Now I understand why this project has so little help.

Thanks for your time.

Carlos
Old 2005-06-13, 12:26   #5
Wacky

Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

21018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe
That first question won't take you anywhere. Now I understand why this project has so little help.
Well, Carlos, that's the way that it is.
You may not be aware of the effort required to just "maintain the status quo". Any DC project requires a continuing effort just to keep the data flowing.

Of the original group that resurrected NFSNET, I'm the only one spending any significant amount of time on it. All of the others have since moved to new jobs (as in putting bread on the table) that require too much of their time to provide more than a occasional hour or two to address some emergency. Paul still does the selection of sieving parameters, but that contribution (about once a month) requires all of the time that he now has to contribute. As a result, I'm rather "stuck" with the day-to-day operations (which require more time that I would like).

In addition, I'm working with some others to integrate a more efficient siever. This is no easy task, but IMHO, much more important than developing a fancier web site.

I'm already stretched too thin. Given our extremely limited "time" resource, I have to look at the cost benefit ratio. This is a volunteer operation, everyone else will do likewise. Since there are a few who are interested in contributing THEIR time to improve the code, and any improvement will make the existing base of sievers more efficient, I'm spending my remaining time trying to help/encourage them.

I don't think that any of us are opposed to improvement of the web site. Nor do we think that your suggestion is unreasonable. It has been "on the list" for quite some time. However, there just isn't anyone willing and able to either provide the resources that would make it easier or figure out how to do it with the limited resources that we have available.

Richard
Old 2005-06-13, 19:40   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

250138 Posts

Quote:
You may not be aware of the effort required to just "maintain the status quo". Any DC project requires a continuing effort just to keep the data flowing.

Of the original group that resurrected NFSNET, I'm the only one spending any significant amount of time on it. All of the others have since moved to new jobs (as in putting bread on the table) that require too much of their time to provide more than a occasional hour or two to address some emergency. Paul still does the selection of sieving parameters, but that contribution (about once a month) requires all of the time that he now has to contribute. As a result, I'm rather "stuck" with the day-to-day operations (which require more time that I would like).
And Richard has been doing a good job. As he says, the rest of us all now have different jobs which are taking up a lot of our time. Unfortunate, but that's the way things go. Too often I'm swamped with real work, and I know others are too.

Anyone who doesn't like this situation can help alleviate it by helping out.

Paul
Old 2005-06-13, 20:29   #7
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Quote:

Richard
Richard,

I asked you a simple question and didn't like your attitude.
English is not my native language but your question gave me the following sensation: "Who the hell is this guy, comes here making questions, if you want what you want why don't you make it yourself?"

Regards,

Carlos
Old 2005-06-14, 14:57   #8
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe
Richard,

I asked you a simple question and didn't like your attitude.
English is not my native language but your question gave me the following sensation: "Who the hell is this guy, comes here making questions, if you want what you want why don't you make it yourself?"

Regards,

Carlos
The way I see it, it is *you* who are expressing hostility and antagonism.
Richard simply asked if you wanted to design one; he doesn't have the
time. Yet you chose to interpret the response with hostility. Why???

N.B. We who have been on the Internet for a long time see this frequently.
It seems that sometimes people deliberately look for excuses to be offended.
Old 2005-07-05, 03:22   #9
junky

Jan 2004

2058 Posts

I've run that project for more then 1 year now, and i'm still interested about that one. Carlos, that's a good project, which needs a lot of work to improve, if you wanna help, you're the welcome, they need help. I'm just running the client, to help, Richard and cie, but i dont have any free time to help related to design, etc.
If you have some time, then go ahead and help :)