Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2016-06-24 at 19:34
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 19:38   #58
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×17×97 Posts

Brexit from the culinary point of view...:)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZaraKitso...390144/photo/1
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 22:42   #59
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

1110101010102 Posts

Greece has some new loan approvals expected on Tuesday. Greece Debt Crisis: Eurozone Expected To Pass $11.2 Billion In New Loans, Debt Relief Unlikely. Part of the calculus in loans to Greece must have been the consideration of possible damage to the EU after Grexit motion. If so, the dynamic is different because the EU damage has occurred elsewhere.

Pravda thinks the ruble is secure against Brexit trouble and also mentions some eastern bloc countries that might rethink EU membership. Czechia, Hungary, Slovakia, and Greece are ready to leave EU

High volume access to a petition for a Brexit referendum do-over crashed the House of Commons website. The Latest: Calls for 2nd referendum crash UK website
Quote:
Tens of thousands want a do-over.

So many users are signing a petition for a re-run of Britain's referendum on European Union membership that they've crashed the House of Commons website hosting the document.

The petition passed the 200,000 mark on Friday evening, with a map of the voting indicating that most activity was in London - where most boroughs backed the "remain" camp in the referendum.

The House of Commons said it had seen "high volumes of simultaneous users on a single petition, significantly higher than on any previous occasion."

A second referendum isn't in the cards for now, but experts say it isn't out of the question if those who back a British exit begin suffering from buyer's remorse.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2016-06-24 at 22:44 Reason: s/Now/If so/
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 02:22   #60
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Huh? That country is as big as a pingpong ball, what do you want to split there?
Belgium suffers from a significant linguistic divide, and I would bet that extends into a cultural gap too.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 08:35   #61
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

9,661 Posts

It reminds me of an old Romanian joke, which circulated for a while when we joined EU... We Romanians are very proud of the fact that we never have been really conquered. Well... this is not quite accurate historically, and it has a little dose of snobbery inside, but that is how we all were educated during the communism, and there is a fact that we are still a Latin island in a Slavic sea, and if not for us, Europe would speak now Turkish or Hunnic... But every time they came like locusts, they broke their teeth into Carpathian mountains, and a reason was because we were there, a small country at the confluence of big empires... Anyhow, that is how the joke goes:
- two thousand years ago Romans occupied our lands, and then the Roman Empire went extinct...
- a thousand years ago Huns and Tartars came here and then their empires died...
- hundreds of years ago Turks (Ottomans) took a part of Muntenia (southern region of the country) and Austro-Hungarians took a part of Transylvania (north-west region of the country). Their empires died.
- later, Hitler tried to take pieces of our land - you know their fate...
- Stalin and his communists came from the east, taking eastern Moldova and northern Bucovina ... you know what happened with the soviets...
- etc
- etc
- now EU took us "under its wing", and you see what's happening there...
They didn't know who they are putting it up with...
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 13:35   #62
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

1010001011102 Posts

May the brits live with the consequences of their own decision.
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 13:48   #63
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

824010 Posts

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...er-brexit-vote
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 15:08   #64
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,181 Posts

I wonder how many forex traders lost everything Friday.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 15:16   #65
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
I wonder how many forex traders lost everything Friday.
I know as part of a stock market simulation I bought 151,000 in walmart options and by the end of the day they had basically lost me 151,000 plus fees ( partly because of type but it sucked in stocks and I bet unless they were selling the GBP they were probably losing even more in forex)
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 16:41   #66
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×33×181 Posts
Default LOL...

So, I just found an email in my inbox titled "Please confirm your email address".

I won't include all the links contained, but here is the redacted body of the email:
Quote:
Click this link to sign the petition “Ignore a petition for a 2nd EU Referendum.”

LINK

Peter Austin’s petition:

Ignore a petition for a 2nd EU Referendum.

There is a petition in circulation, stating a "technicality" will allow a 2nd referendum on UK's exit from the EU. The turnout for this vote (72.2%) was greater than the last general election (66.1%). If this "mulligan" petition is accepted - it will set a precedent for democratic failure.

EU %: LINK General Election %: LINK Definition of "mulligan": LINK Affront to democratic process: LINK

Click this link to sign the petition:
LINK
Interestingly, this was sent from Amazon's eu-west-1.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote