mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-10-27, 17:37   #34
alpertron
 
alpertron's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

2·683 Posts
Default

Since the book was published on 1988, there is no e-book available. Notice that I had no problems to buy e-books from Google books.
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-27, 22:27   #35
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×7×349 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpertron View Post
Since the book was published on 1988, there is no e-book available. Notice that I had no problems to buy e-books from Google books.
OK. Then...

Could our teacher please provide a reference text which is accessible to all?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 06:12   #36
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

32·29·37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
We have the tail wagging the dog.

xyzzy proposed to me, in a private email, putting together a seminar. I had given him
a number of textbook references. HE suggested the H. Edgar book.

He suggested working through the book and exercises AS A GROUP with
my guidance. I agreed.

Students do not get to select the curriculum or the textbook. Yet, this is what is
happening herein.

The H. Edgar book is an excellent and GENTLE introduction. It has terrific exercises
with hints.

What is the <&*@#&^#&^> problem with spending a few dollars on an INEXPENSIVE
textbook????
We very much agree with this post.
However, we also understand the points of other people, who either can't or don't want to buy the book.
So, to move on, how about this one? It follows about the same structure, and it is easy to go through, and free to take for all.
Also, the one already suggested by former posters looks ok to us too.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 11:03   #37
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
We very much agree with this post.
However, we also understand the points of other people, who either can't or don't want to buy the book.
Herding cats.

The pushback from this thread has convinced me.

I don't need the aggravation.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 11:45   #38
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

838410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Herding cats.

The pushback from this thread has convinced me.

I don't need the aggravation.
of people not paying for a book? In pharmacy I wouldn't have bought my books if I knew they teachers thought they were crap or the fact we only used them for practice. or if I knew the teachers were crap before hand.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 12:36   #39
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
of people not paying for a book? In pharmacy I wouldn't have bought my books if I knew they teachers thought they were crap or the fact we only used them for practice. or if I knew the teachers were crap before hand.
The key words were:

"don't want to buy the book"

This shows their attitude toward the entire effort.

You yourself write:

" I wouldn't have bought my books ......if I knew the teachers were crap"

which is also a BAD ATTITUDE.

You and others are not worth the effort.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 12:47   #40
alpertron
 
alpertron's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

2×683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
The key words were:

"don't want to buy the book"
You have to read more carefully. I cannot buy a physical book from abroad. There is no problem with electronic books.
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 13:36   #41
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpertron View Post
You have to read more carefully. I cannot buy a physical book from abroad. There is no problem with electronic books.
I read very carefully.

That was clear. --> the part about "can't".

But it seems that you are the only one in that position.

The fact that you CAN'T does not invalidate the independent assertion that some people don't WANT.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 17:42   #42
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

32·5·211 Posts
Default

I will be happy to gift the book to Dario. Just send me a PM with a conventional trusted carrier and address and I'll mail it. I have it in the mail.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 18:28   #43
alpertron
 
alpertron's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

2×683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I will be happy to gift the book to Dario. Just send me a PM with a conventional trusted carrier and address and I'll mail it. I have it in the mail.
Thanks for the offer, but the books "disappear" on customs. I will not be able to receive it.
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 19:16   #44
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

100101000101112 Posts
Default

Oh, that's worse than I expected.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P-1 discussion kladner GPU to 72 43 2012-01-27 20:43
10,375- LA discussion Raman Cunningham Tables 27 2008-12-04 21:17
P-1 discussion AntonVrba Prime Cullen Prime 5 2007-04-04 04:59
New .dat discussion VJS Prime Sierpinski Project 7 2006-07-25 14:31
Number Theory Textbook ThomRuley Math 5 2005-08-28 16:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:49.


Tue Aug 3 07:49:58 UTC 2021 up 11 days, 2:18, 0 users, load averages: 2.23, 2.21, 2.29

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.