mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2002-08-28, 00:57   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·33·151 Posts
Default Client stalls when contacting PrimeNet...

I'm running 22.8 and ordinarily, I run it offline... By this I mean I run it without PrimeNet and I just add crap via the worktodo.ini and I turn stuff in via the manual page...

Anyways, I decided to run using PrimeNet today, so I filled out the user info and the PrimeNet dialog boxes, but when it connected, PrimeNet was down... This shouldn't be a problem because Prime95 should just gve up and continue on with the next exponent... But, Prime95 just sat there for 30 minutes doing nothing... I eventually switched it to "dialup" to fix it... If you only return stuff every few weeks or months this probably is no big deal, but right now I am contacting PrimeNet every hour because I am P-1 factoring small exponents...

Also, when I tell PrimeNet to stop working, it sometimes takes several minutes... I'm going to assume this is because I am P-1 factoring, because when I do double checks it stops instantly...

My only solution is to run it offline... :(
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-28, 01:13   #2
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

53148 Posts

Unfortunately I am getting that problem as well. Using ver 22.8 Last time Primenet was doen a few days ago the program would just hang. Exiting would have no effect and I would have to kill it using the task manager. There have been some other threads here about that as well. I definitely think there is a problem in Prime95 interacting with the server in it's current state. Maybe the server does not respond or something but the client definitely hangs.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-28, 01:26   #3
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5×47 Posts

I have noticed that while doing P-1, the client (v22.8 ) won't even try to contact the server in regular dedicated operation. This spanned three days on my 33M and it is set up for daily updates. There is a problem here ...
PageFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-28, 21:48   #4
daWabbit

Aug 2002

23 Posts

I appear to be having the same problem. As this is my first attempt at running the software, I am not sure. For the last 12 hours, the client has reported it cannot contact the server, though the machine has been on line continuously.
The machine in question is a very slow one (tests go on the least capable machines, you know, and this machine is definitely that) and perhaps I would be better off doing things manually. What do you think?
daWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote