Old 2021-07-27, 23:59   #23
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

2×5×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
SRBase in this realm is not exactly a him. Yet another assumption on your part. SRBase is a project managed by a user SRBase. So "he" is not doing the work. Many people are doing the work. GPU72 is not a person, but they do a lot of work. GIMPS is not a person, but they do a lot of work.
So SRBase is composed of a group of people. Can I say "SRBase are coming for the next bit level"? GPU72 are doing many works.

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2021-07-28 at 00:00
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 00:11   #24
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·4,957 Posts

The use of is vs are for collectives are both known. A local DJ would refer to musical groups saying XXXX are in studio. Other would say XXXX is in studio.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 18:54   #25
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
It sure would be nice if they kept their fire trained on the exponents less than 332.2M, instead of doing TF on exponents that won't be tested for a LONG time.
Is GIMPS not just a by-product of the real interest for SRBase?
----------------------------------------------
https://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/
About SRBase

is a mathematical research project that uses Internet-connected computers trying to solve Sierpinski / Riesel Bases up to 1030. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

The project is in collaboration with the Mersenne CRUS project.

---------------------------------------------
I can't even find a Mersenne CRUS project with Google. As far as I can see, SRBase are using BOINC which does not support GPUs, despite GPUs are the most suitable for trail-factoring.
drkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 19:00   #26
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkirkby View Post
SRBase originated, as stated in their description, as a project for Sierpinski and Riesel numbers. AFAIK, they have shared their immense resources with us, GIMPSers.

Quote:
I can't even find a Mersenne CRUS project with Google. As far as I can see, SRBase are using BOINC which does not support GPUs, despite GPUs are the most suitable for trail-factoring.
Why use google, it's here on mersenneforum, the first one in the category of Prime Search Projects.

I don't know, why you think they don't support GPUs. From what I know, they do. Otherwise, the SRBase probably wouldn't have so much throughput.
Viliam Furik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 19:40   #27
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangrc View Post
No they won't. TF on GPUs earn MUCH MORE GHZDays than P-1, where the ratio is sometimes 20:1 to 40:1. For those who concern about credit, they won't switch the preferred work type to P-1.
I believe it would be possible to get a huge amount of GHz days credit for P-1 - if that is what someone ego desires. They would have to a be a pretty sad person, but I suspect I could do more than Ben - until someone put a stop to it!

Recently I was doing some benchmarking, so did a lot of P-1 on M105211111. Sometimes I increased the bounds, and other times I decreased them. Notice how some of my later results actually got less credit than earlier ones.

From undoc.txt
By default P-1 work does not delete the save files when the work unit completes.
This lets you run P-1 to a higher bound at a later date. You can force
the program to delete save files by adding this line to prime.txt:
KeepPminus1SaveFiles=0

So I suspect if someone really wanted to get a lot of GHz days, they could do something like the following - not necessarily exactly this, but I think you should get the point I am making.
  1. Do P-1 with say B1=1000000, B2=10000000
  2. Keep the save files.
  3. Extend this to B1=1000001, B2=10000001 and get more GHz for doing virtually nothing.
  4. Extend this to B1=1000002, B2=10000002 and get more GHz for doing virtually nothing.
There does not appear to be anything on the server that stops one getting credit for useless P-1 work.

After the PRP test pf M105211111 completes, I am actually going to go back and do a bit more P-1 on that exponent - even in the highly unlikely event the PRP test indicates it is prime! Not because I want any credit, but I need a few more bits of data that did not get collected as I intended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p-1.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	25352  
Old 2021-07-28, 20:04   #28
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

3·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
I don't know, why you think they don't support GPUs. From what I know, they do. Otherwise, the SRBase probably wouldn't have so much throughput.
As far as I can see from the SRBase website

https://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/
Join SRBase

Then if you look at the download for BOINC
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
and the system requirements
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/System_requirements
I don't see any mention of GPUs. Maybe hidden somewhere is information about using GPUs. But I believe the main aim of SRBase is not to find primes, because if it were, they would be searching at the wavefront (around 105 million or so).

Last fiddled with by drkirkby on 2021-07-28 at 20:07
Old 2021-07-28, 20:09   #29
drkirkby

"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

6778 Posts

Correction, from the BOINC system requirements page, on the Windows platform
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/System_requirements
ATI Support
  • You must have driver version 8.12 or better installed in order to use your GPU.

Last fiddled with by drkirkby on 2021-07-28 at 20:10
Old 2021-07-28, 20:12   #30
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

65310 Posts

We might be looking at different pages, but I doubt that. On my monitor, I see pretty clear mention of necessary GPU drivers (see attached screenshot). GPU drivers implicate the allowed GPUs by the list of GPUs the drivers support.

That's my understanding of the situation. Someone with more knowledge about BOINC (and GPUs and their drivers) might correct me.

EDIT:
I didn't see the last post. I guess I should have checked by reloading the thread page... But my post is still relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sys.png
Views:	21
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	25353  

Last fiddled with by Viliam Furik on 2021-07-28 at 20:13 Reason: update
Viliam Furik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 20:18   #31
rebirther

Sep 2011
Germany

27·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
We might be looking at different pages, but I doubt that. On my monitor, I see pretty clear mention of necessary GPU drivers (see attached screenshot). GPU drivers implicate the allowed GPUs by the list of GPUs the drivers support.

That's my understanding of the situation. Someone with more knowledge about BOINC (and GPUs and their drivers) might correct me.

EDIT:
I didn't see the last post. I guess I should have checked by reloading the thread page... But my post is still relevant.
Hello guys,

https://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/f...hread.php?id=6

if you want to start Trial Factoring with GPU and BOINC
rebirther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 21:10   #32
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

127778 Posts

For a little history, see https://mersenneforum.org/showthread...inc#post561290
Also the BOINC project list shows many occurrences of NVIDIA and/or AMD GPU support, including SRBase.
Quote:
I can't even find a Mersenne CRUS project with Google. As far as I can see, SRBase are using BOINC which does not support GPUs, despite GPUs are the most suitable for trailtrial-factoring.
George Woltman created prime95 and GIMPS in early 1996.
BOINC's initial release was in 2002.
As I recall SRBase was created quite recently by comparison (~4 years ago? 7?)
GIMPS is not a byproduct, created out of, something GIMPS predates by ~20 years.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-07-28 at 21:34
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 21:16   #33
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×5×7×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirther View Post
...if you want to start Trial Factoring with GPU and BOINC
Hey... rebirther...

If we could please "press the reset button" between us...?

Might some of your compute clients be interested in helping out Wayne with his To Below 2K project?

It's about as useless as what you currently have your GPU TF'ing clients doing. But, at least, that sub-project has a tangible completion goal.

Absolutely no slight intended with that statement. Everyone's free to do whatever brings them joy with their own money, kit, time, and electrons.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote