Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2014-08-19, 16:22   #1
theshark

"dave b."
Aug 2014
vermont usa

2×3 Posts
Default new here with a couple questions

just recently started number crunching with gimps and just curious on a few things in cpu info.

meaning and or purpose of the following field areas.

Reliability, Confidence1.00, 0.0
CPU rolling average1166 / 1000 (117%) Execution priority 1 (default)
just want a little more explanation about those entries.

here also is link to the raw bench mark test for my stock system

http://www.mersenne.org/report_bench...ic_cpu=4377369
theshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 17:01   #2
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

27·3·13 Posts

Start here...
http://www.mersenne.org/thresholds/
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 17:10   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

232158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Execution priority 1 (default)
about this part, see the Prime95 program menu, click on Test, then Worker windows, click on Priority and read the message carefully. Raising the priority will make your computer less responsive (up to totally stoned if you fill in "10", for example) and (usually) it will *not* bring (much) additional speed. The rest, see what petrw said, or just ask. Someone will help you.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-08-19 at 17:11
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 17:34   #4
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

32778 Posts

The LL test is extremely sensitive to hardware errors, so it is important for us to know if your processor is reliable or not. It's sort of an average of how accurate your results have been.

Then, we need to know how confident we are in your results. The more you submit, the more we feel like your computer will consistently perform. The confidence score starts at 0 and increases by 1 for every result you submit, up to a maximum of 10.

Your score will decrease every time you submit a bad result because of a hardware problem (you can fix the problems and reset the counter if you want). I myself am at 0.92. I think I was at 0.98 until I responded foolishly to a little hiccup during one of my test.

On the thresholds page linked, you can see that if your computer is unreliable (rating < 0.7) you can't do first-time LL tests because the risk of the result being wrong is too great, and that result won't be double-checked for a few years.

If the computer is very unreliable (rating < 0.5) we don't even want to waste its time with double-checks.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 17:37   #5
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

LaurV explained the execution priority a bit. Leave it at 1.

The rolling average I believe is a measure of how many results you're submitting versus your potential. It shouldn't be above 100% and I don't think it will be for long. I think Primenet is just taking a bit of time to assess how fast your CPU is.

My rolling average is 98% because my CPU is almost always running Prime95 and I rarely shut it down for anything.
Old 2014-08-19, 18:14   #6
theshark

"dave b."
Aug 2014
vermont usa

2·3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post

The rolling average I believe is a measure of how many results you're submitting versus your potential. It shouldn't be above 100% and I don't think it will be for long. I think Primenet is just taking a bit of time to assess how fast your CPU is.

My rolling average is 98% because my CPU is almost always running Prime95 and I rarely shut it down for anything.
ok thanks i was just curious as to meaning and purposes of areas. i find some documentation on gimps leave a bit to be desired

current system is not fancy - asrock 970 extreme4 , amd fx4170 quad core cpu, 8 gig (2x4gig) crucial pc3-12800h 800 mhz ddr3, msi gtx 660tf video card, crucial ssd 250gig ssd, win7 64 bit os.

i have heard and seen some data on cuda cores but not sure if messing with it will be of any advantage or not as i have been away from any programming for decades now so not sure where to even start but video card is cuda enabled ( 960 cuda cores ) so a possible future project to look into maybe.

i did torture test august 11th and 12th, and cpu benchmark test. might pull up slightly better bench marks test if i shut down some of my tsr programs that load at system start up but i can mess with that at a later time if need be.
i started on assignments august 13th ( 4 LL assignments ) and currently at 7.71% to 7.79% ( 67271383, 67325749, 67376461, and 67403267 ) ambient temp 72 to 74 f and cpu temps stay consistent in the 116 to 118 f range with no errors showing at present for time it has been running.
Old 2014-08-20, 00:15   #7
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
current system is not fancy - asrock 970 extreme4 , amd fx4170 quad core cpu, 8 gig (2x4gig) crucial pc3-12800h 800 mhz ddr3, msi gtx 660tf video card, crucial ssd 250gig ssd, win7 64 bit os.

i have heard and seen some data on cuda cores but not sure if messing with it will be of any advantage or not as i have been away from any programming for decades now so not sure where to even start but video card is cuda enabled ( 960 cuda cores ) so a possible future project to look into maybe.
If you're referring to using CUDA for the sake of GIMPS, you're actually in luck.

There is already some software that can make use of your GPU.

You can do trial factoring to help eliminate some candidate numbers by finding (relatively) small factors for them by using mfaktc.

You can use a GPU to perform LL tests though the GTX 660 Ti is much better suited to TF. The software is CUDALucas

More forum resources

GPU computing hub
Old 2014-08-27, 16:55   #8
theshark

"dave b."
Aug 2014
vermont usa

2×3 Posts

Quote:

well no clue mawn on the cpu rolling average my system for most days runs prime about 18 hours. a couple days only did about 4 to 6 hours due to fact i was working on some other items and turned prime95 off

currently shows - CPU rolling average1512 / 1000 (151%)
when i first posted questions it was at -
CPU rolling average1166 / 1000 (117%)

Old 2014-08-27, 17:07   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×167 Posts

[QUOTE=theshark;381541]well no clue mawn on the cpu rolling average my system for most days runs prime about 18 hours. a couple days only did about 4 to 6 hours due to fact i was working on some other items and turned prime95 off[QUOTE]

Please forgive me for this, but there is a reason I asked to have my mod privs removed.

Who in the fscking h**l, after posting only four (4) messages, should have any influence?

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2014-08-28 at 06:25 Reason: Reverted [QUOTE] tag.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-27, 18:32   #10
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1E5E16 Posts

Quote:
Prime95 has a hardwired estimate for how many iterations per day your computer should complete. These estimates are pretty crude.

RollingAverage is prime95's attempt to adjust those crude estimate based on how many iterations per day you are actually completing. This is used to compute more accurate estimated completion dates in Test/Status and sometimes to tailor the kind of work assigned to your computer.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-27, 22:46   #11
theshark

"dave b."
Aug 2014
vermont usa

2·3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Please forgive me for this, but there is a reason I asked to have my mod privs removed.

Who in the fscking h**l, after posting only four (4) messages, should have any influence?

wow someone has an attitude....don't forget somewhere at one point you only had 4 post. i think your reply was both uncalled for and abusive. if you have issues with getting stuff due to fact you had or do have mod privs and do not at this point want to have them anymore i think there is a place other then posting a reply as such to someone elses post being condescending and berating them for only having 4 post at present .... take issue to the sites IT or head.

and for your information i am attempting to understand some of the prime95 settings a bit better as there is little or no real documentation