"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

260348 Posts
Default Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I'd second that!
Ok, I'm part-way through cooking dinner and sufficiently under the affluence of incahol to consider inflicting the recipe for my trademark dish on you.

Pepperoncini, aglio, olio y spaghetti. Serves one.

Cook as much spaghetti as you think you can eat.

While that's happening, thinly slice 3-8 cloves of garlic depending on size of cloves. The dish currently under construction has 19 grams, which is about right.

Also while the pasta is boiling, slice or mince some fresh chiilies. There should be somewhat more than you think you can eat because the pasta deadens the flavour quite remarkably. If at all possible use a number of different varieties --- at least three and preferably six or more. I tend to go for a jalapeno (or similar mild ones such as paprika) or two for bulk, a couple of medium such as Cheyenne, Birdseye and Apache, and one (or perhaps two) hot ones like Scotch Bonnet or Habenero. The idea is to have a variety of textures, flavours and spiciness.

Pour enough extra virgin olive oil into a frying pan to be certain that it will coat the pasta but not too much so that pools of it won't be left over. Warm gently.

Fry the veggies very gently until the garlic is translucent, soft and slightly yellow. If it becomes brown you've buggered it, though it is still edible.

By this time the spag should al dente (which is Italian for "chewy"). Drain it and add it to the pan containing the other ingredients. Mix well. Pour into a warmed dish and add chopped parsley and / or grated Parmesan to taste.

Best accompanied with a rustic Italian red wine such as a Valpolicella or Chianti

Avoid alliumphobes for 24-48 hours.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 17:48   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

On a note vaguely related to the ensuing discussion, I have a Tabasco cookbook available for perusal. It doesn't really do a great job of listing recipes all in one place, but it's got a wide variety of things.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 17:58   #3
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

33×313 Posts

ยฝ cup Softsoap clear antibacterial hand soap
ยฝ cup Heinz "Pickle Perfect" distilled white vinegar

Mix the above contents in a bottle and then apply generously to your wet dog. Lather deep into the dog's fur, avoiding his eyes and mouth. Rinse many many times. When you are done rinsing, rinse again. An extra touch is to use a final rinse of 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of vinegar added.

The result is a very clean dog, that doesn't smell like a dog or vinegar.

Our Cairn Terrier (AKA Dog1) is a burrowing beast and really gets dirty. We refrain from bathing him too much because it is bad for his fur and skin, but monthly, the day before his flea and tick treatment, we bathe him with the recipe above. He used to have a lot of itching on his skin but all of that is gone now. Either the recipe cured it or it burned him so bad it is too painful for him to scratch it.

We do not know why the recipe works but no special "Doggie Shampoo" we have ever purchased works as well. In fact, they just don't work at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	8533  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 19:40   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Ok, I'm part-way through cooking dinner and sufficiently under the affluence of incahol to consider inflicting the recipe for my trademark dish on you
Ok, so after slightly over cooking the dish (I blame SWMBO for wanting her spag-based meal to be served at the same time) I must report that it actually worked rather well. Not in the top 5% perhaps, but definitely in the top 10%

More recipes as and when I cook them.
Old 2012-09-03, 19:46   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The result is a very clean dog, that doesn't smell like a dog or vinegar.
I like it!

We don't have dogs but know people who do. I'll pass on this recipe.

Wonder if it works as well on cats and/or chooks...
Old 2012-09-03, 19:57   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×7×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Wonder if it works as well on cats and/or chooks...
Anyone who is staff to a cat would know that there's no chance of trying this. At least, not more than once...

My girlfriend and I report to eight cats. For their monthly flea treatment we dress in chain-mail.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 20:39   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

24×32×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We do not know why the recipe works but no special "Doggie Shampoo" we have ever purchased works as well. In fact, they just don't work at all.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sku-shampoo.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	8540?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 21:47   #8
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

33·313 Posts

That baby shampoo might work on a dog that fits into a purse and/or is dressed up in miniature human clothes regularly, but we prefer the more complex and manly method.

You may or may not be surprised at how versatile vinegar is.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 00:11   #9
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts

Jason's law(kidding, though there may actually be a name for this law) states that, because of patent law, the best way to do things will never go mainstream. The best method will either be un-patentable, and therefore not advertised because anybody could copy it(like your vinegar-based shampoo) or the best method won't make it through the gauntlet of dealing with greedy companies. This is probably why Flash and Java are so successful, no idea what the alternatives were, but I bet there were some true gems back then.

In the case of HTML5, the neutering either hasn't happened or is in it's infant stages.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 06:37   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

22·3·941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Anyone who is staff to a cat would know that there's no chance of trying this. At least, not more than once...

My girlfriend and I report to eight cats. For their monthly flea treatment we dress in chain-mail.
Au contraire.

Some years ago we had a tom cat named Alfie who would spend weeks at a time going walkabout. In the summer and early autumn he would typically return looking very scruffy and harbouring itchy but mostly harmless parasites. He was very happy to be hosed down with warm water, shampooed, hosed down again, shampooed again, hosed down a third time and then wrapped up in a large fluffy towel. He was nice and clean, unusually fluffy, and didn't smell like a cat for at least 24 hours afterwards.

Alfie was the cat who used to phone for a taxi when he wanted to come home, but that's another story.

We've three cats in the household at the moment. Technically there's a fourth but he's gone AWOL again.
Old 2012-09-09, 03:20   #11
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Cats aren't innately afraid of water. The problem is that housecats are rarely exposed to large amounts of water, including hoses, so it's considered unfamiliar to them, and therefore scary.

If you only saw water when you drank it or took it from the faucet, a bathtub with water in it would probably be an unusual experience. There are people who only take showers, and if the water in the shower gets overly deep they'll stop their shower.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote